Sign in to follow this  
Dennisz125

Agreed/Disagreed button

40 posts in this topic

There was situation when someone made a post and I agreed with that person, the best thing we could do is press like but if someone made a post that you disagree and you don't want to make a reply that you don't like, I think a simple dislike/disagree button will do the trick.

1 minute ago, Dennisz125 said:

There was situation when someone made a post and I agreed with that person, the best thing we could do is press like but if someone made a post that you disagree and you don't want to make a reply that you don't like, I think a simple dislike/disagree button will do the trick.

I don´t really like this idea to be honest, that will only end in people hating each other and going at it. That would make this forum a lot more toxic I think.

1 minute ago, koschilein said:

I don´t really like this idea to be honest, that will only end in people hating each other and going at it. That would make this forum a lot more toxic I think.

Best example: you disagree with my idea so you press a disagree button.

I agree with you about toxicity.

1 minute ago, Dennisz125 said:

Best example: you disagree with my idea so you press a disagree button.

I agree with you about toxicity.

Yeah but I still think it´s a bad idea for the forum itself.

Just now, Dennisz125 said:

And thus conclude the shortest conversation on this forum.

No, everyone can reply here I only said that I think it is a bad idea. :o

I honestly don't think this would lead to people being more toxic. Toxicity doesn't come from hitting a dislike button on someone's post but rather from the comments you might or might not make as a reaction to said post.

I actually like this idea, it's simple and clearly shows whether the community agrees with certain stance or not.

Edited by MultiSquid

I use the Like and Dislike options on my site and never had any problems with it.  Smaller site than this one to be sure but I dont really see the potential for things to get toxic as long as Moderators do their job.

7 minutes ago, -Steve- said:

I use the Like and Dislike options on my site and never had any problems with it.  Smaller site than this one to be sure but I dont really see the potential for things to get toxic as long as Moderators do their job.

That is true, if its well moderated.

But I guess that people will use the Dislike button just to take revenge for someone who disliked their post before. (I could be totally wrong but that is what I think how it would go)

I hear what you are saying my friend!  Still it comes back to Moderators doing their job which they generally do very well here.  There are going to be some assholes that will spam or use the Dislike button simply because like a 4 year old they have to play with the new toy.  I think that after a short time or a short time out most of the twits will use it as the way it was intended to be used.

Maybe it would be a bit less aggressive to someone if one would not see who disliked something only the like´s (for normal forum users, mod´s / dev´s should see it of course)

rep.JPG

From what I can see your suggestion wouldnt work because the usergroup permissions are not set up for that kind of finesse.

There is a like button....for unlikes we could just give out ugly faces like this...O.o

Pls no. A disagree / don't like this button breeds negativity and circle jerking, I've seen this feature in play at different communities before and it's just terrible.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Either participate in the topic with a healthy discussion or don't say anything at all.

As far I been reading, there are mixed result but at least everyone agreed to that disagreed button might put people into bad side and feel salty, like me right now.

Edited by Dennisz125

1 hour ago, Dennisz125 said:

Taking the easy way out, eh? :P

This is a duscussion forum, if you disagree with something you're free to reply and explain why you disagree.

29 minutes ago, carmikaze said:

Taking the easy way out, eh? :P

This is a duscussion forum, if you disagree with something you're free to reply and explain why you disagree.

Because it take time to think,type and fix any grammar mistake while not hurting other people.

2 hours ago, koschilein said:

1 hour ago, Assifuah said:

Pls no. A disagree / don't like this button breeds negativity and circle jerking, I've seen this feature in play at different communities before and it's just terrible.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Either participate in the topic with a healthy discussion or don't say anything at all.

^ this

2 hours ago, -Steve- said:

I hear what you are saying my friend!  Still it comes back to Moderators doing their job which they generally do very well here.  There are going to be some assholes that will spam or use the Dislike button simply because like a 4 year old they have to play with the new toy.  I think that after a short time or a short time out most of the twits will use it as the way it was intended to be used.

personally, I believe, that on a different forum than yours (Which - I believe - has less potential for conflicts, simply because it's a creative forum), it will only intensify toxicity, add up on moderator's work. Maybe that's ok because sometimes I'm bored as a mod and would be happy about more work, but to be honest, I think it would be a bad thing overall.

An alternative could be to have a "response" button with varying options of which you can choose one, instead of a mere "like" button. I might not like or agree with your opinion, claim, or idea for example, but if I had the option of showing that I, say, acknowledge, or appreciate, or am in consideration of it, then the atmosphere could be made more objective in a disinterested sense and perhaps suppress the toxicity. Imagine for a second if someone called me a douchebag and I respond with "Considering"; I'm asking myself if this is true and what's involved in it - what is a 'douchebag' and am I one, as a fact? Ouch! Or, if I found the insult to either be funny or actually true, I could "Acknowledge" or "Appreciate" it. Or, I could directly challenge the claim and reply or simply remain silent, in which case the insult begins to erode on it's own.

You could make a poll.

Anyway, disagree with idea for reasons already mentioned. Might get toxic for some.