Hasbro

Detail Pass (Graphics)

So i was wondering does anybody know when abouts the devs will be doing more work on stuff like level detail?  The finer detail things like rubble and better blending of objects. 

If you have a look here notice the wall on the right is all jaggy, and the grass doesnt blend in realisticly imo. There is no grass shadow, i was wondering when they will be putting stuff like that in? usarmy9.jpg 

PS

Also the indoor bits look really bland, if you know what i mean, i know i heard somewhere they will be adding more stuff to houses, maybe even weathered textures for the rooms, indoor and outdoor like stains on the walls etc.

Edited by Hasbro

They add stuff like you describe every update and the maps are still wip. Some older maps like Logar are further along so you can expect the devs to be working on others to add those details. Right now their attention is on getting vehicles out so we can alpha test them so there might not be as much map additions as you'd like but don't worry they will get around to them when time allows. If you check out the monthly updates, especially for June, you'll see how the maps are changing. 

Edited by Major Trouble

As the assets are created, they'll be added to the maps in detail passes. They've all got so many big assets like vehicles and large static models to get in game that I'm sure clutter etc is not super high on the priority list.

I would love it if the community could contribute to a "models needed" project administered by the devs, like rhino did for pr:F. But I suppose the discord community could do it on their own and present it to the developers as well. Several hundred hands would certainly speed it up, and doing clutter and props is something that most mediocre 3d artists can handle imo

I do know that grass shadows have been on for some maps in the past, but for the time being have been disabled due to the performance impact. I'm sure they'll come up with some clever compromise eventually. :-)

16 hours ago, Psyrus said:

As the assets are created, they'll be added to the maps in detail passes. They've all got so many big assets like vehicles and large static models to get in game that I'm sure clutter etc is not super high on the priority list.

I would love it if the community could contribute to a "models needed" project administered by the devs, like rhino did for pr:F. But I suppose the discord community could do it on their own and present it to the developers as well. Several hundred hands would certainly speed it up, and doing clutter and props is something that most mediocre 3d artists can handle imo

Bloody right m8y   many hands make light work :-)   come on devs this guy is spot on :-)  should do map Comp as well maybe winner gets a free key and credit for making map?

That would be sick !  

I wish i could go through the maps of squad in real time with paintshop style tools and add lots of cool little details to things and make the objects more randomised looking. 

It is getting better though i must say:
sumari3.jpg

I hope it ends up looking more like this:
5554751568_5887a60f07_b.jpg
us_nato_bombed_house.jpe
Afghanrefugees-kDID--621x414@LiveMint.jp

Edited by Hasbro

A tad unfinished...

20160724224355_1.jpg

This area looks gorgeous, its too bad its 1 kilo NE of US Main on Chora ¬¬

20160724224109_1.jpg

And I request all teamkillers be sent here for 2 minutes

20160720210331_1.jpg

9 hours ago, GreatDestroyerDT said:

A tad unfinished...

That's the door to matrix. 

On 25.07.2016 at 8:50 AM, Hasbro said:

So i was wondering does anybody know when abouts the devs will be doing more work on stuff like level detail?  The finer detail things like rubble and better blending of objects.

Are you a rivet counter of some sort? Maps are 95% authentic and that's what counts, this is not a geology sim. 

15 hours ago, BTR said:

Are you a rivet counter of some sort? Maps are 95% authentic and that's what counts, this is not a geology sim. 

No..................

So, the maps are 95% authentic in your opinion. Good,   so lets just say they dont need any more work? and try say i am a perfectionist so to speak without trying to offend you for asking a question and starting some convo.
I think Squad maps will end up looking really good, at the moment they do feel lacking of finer details.

Edited by Hasbro

yeaeh i know aye, my bad.

BTR didn't seem to like the way i waltzed in the door here. :)

With the comparison pics i used, its just to express how i feel on how its coming along.  Squad does look very close to those pics, close, but no cigar. 

BTR. I am not trying to be negative in any way sorry u took it wrong dude.

Edited by Hasbro

2D86DE4F00000578-3278001-The_head_of_int66.jpg

Just one more for fun. Count the rivets on the 1st pic.  See how god damn bland that 2nd pic looks in comparison? No offence PLEASE anyone. 

Cos everyone these days likes memes maybe i should try this,
Which one would you choose is obvious, of course you want the gourmet shit
chicken-nugget-300x221.jpg50820.jpg

And please, have a sense of humour with this one. Are we chicken nuggets men? Or proper gourmet  creating individuals?

Edited by Hasbro

36 minutes ago, Hasbro said:

Just one more for fun. Count the rivets on the 1st pic.  See how god damn bland that 2nd pic looks in comparison? No offence PLEASE anyone. 

And please, have a sense of humour with this one. Are we chicken nuggets men? Or proper gourmet  creating individuals?

If I am hungry I'll eat the chicken nuggets while I wait for my gourmet food to be cooked ;)

AHHAHAHAHAHH

YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH

HAHAHAHAH   mad. I like that alot 

Edited by Hasbro

5 hours ago, Hasbro said:

Hey. I'm a nug guy.

I'm sure more detail will be to come but keep in mind that for a game of this scale - adding a million and a half a little things into a single room very quickly stacks up on the ol' performance. And unless you want to put significant effort into a physics system for unlimited oranges and watermelons (and other little stuff) they're pretty much just eye candy. And ain't nothing wrong with eye candy. But priority #9003 I'd say. And if you don't want to go for a lot of little shit, but maybe add some furniture - have a full dining room set and table. Either you put physics / destruction on that fucking table or literally every guy going into any building ever will bump into that same table.

I'd rather not bump into a table when breaching a room. If a grenade destroys it before I go in - fine.

It was bad enough last night when 7 of us went for a big breach through smoke on Fortress Tunnels' West entrance and the first 3 or 4 of us missed the door. Imagine the horror if there was a table on the way.

Yeah good point, good point.

Its 2016 but PC's are super powerful and i would die for there to be physics like you mention.  God that would just be truly unimaginably awesome.

I know not everyone has top line hadrware yada yada, im probably looking too far into the future too soon. Anyways...... Can't wait for this next update.

It's not that the PCs of today can't handle environmental details that have physics applied to their entities it's the fact that details of every single piece need to be updated and passed across the netcode. That is the major stumbling block and its only magnified as maps in Squad are significantly large and therefore will have more elements to manage. If there is a form of netcode that can cleverly limit that restriction like only updating elements for players in a radius (who needs to know a table 2km away is broken after all) then maybe destruction etc can be brought to game of Squads size.

Yeah there would be plenty of different clever ways of doing it.  Its not like there needs to be a heap and heap of stuff. If it was me i would start with basics like walls and buildngs with maybe a couple variations to how it gets demolished.

1 hour ago, Hasbro said:

Yeah there would be plenty of different clever ways of doing it.  Its not like there needs to be a heap and heap of stuff. If it was me i would start with basics like walls and buildngs with maybe a couple variations to how it gets demolished.

You have to compare the size of a Squad map to a Battlefield one to realise the enormity in inluding destruction of walls/buildings. It might not be so much of a problem on Kohat or Logar but imagine keeping track of destruction on the latest build of Sumari would destroy network performance. If you were to then say 'OK I'll just make some walls destructable' that always leaves players confused when they reasonably expect a particular wall/building destroyed and it doesn't. I completely understand the 'all or none' stance when it comes to destruction of walls/buildings. It really didn't like it when you had a flattened building with a partially intact roof in BF where inf were hiding and the bits of slate roof would save their asses from a HE round because I couldn't destroy the building any more.

I know exactly what you mean. Cool thing about Squad being early access means people like me who never got the chance or simply never knew about project reality, we will be in for some surprises in the future.

I have played a few decent fpshooters where there is some destruction. Not as complicated as battlefield, more like pre defined chunks that can break away from wall. So not really physics, i am not sure what you would call it. Some of the UE3 games have it, if you know what i am talking about.  Eg A concrete traffic barrier that when shot enough some bits come off the top but it stops there. Or a concrete pylon where some bits come off the edges and make it look battle worn. It worked pretty well imo but like you said you kinda are left there going......  Why? cant i just keep chipping bits off.

So the Problem lies with the size of the maps and relaying the code or however it works to everyone else on the server. Like you said before there would be some clever way to make it work without crippling the performance. I think it can be done, i know it can. I just don't know how to explain it with my limited vocabulary.

Edited by Hasbro

That video shows the power of today's game engines which is fantastic but if you tried to include that kind level of destruction in a multiplayer game you'd come unstuck very quickly. Even Dice do scripted levelution and they are the kings of multiplayer destruction events.

Hey hasbro, its unlikely youll get the kind of detail you want unfortunately in the short term, we simply have too much large stuff to be working on for the forseeable future, AND we want the game to run better on medium systems, and adding more props isnt very helpful there. However, by next year we might be getting to the stage where we can really focus on details. Sumari amd Chora definitely have some nice details as the afghan stuff is more complete, but yeah, we figure its a better use of our time to focus on big buildings rather than small details. If we ever get more time tho, we love detail props too!