Romby

1440p with Gtx 970

Hello. 

Im thinking about upgrading my screen from 1080p to 1440p (trying to decide between U2515H and U2715H). My gpu is a single Gtx 970 (getting fps of 50-70 right now) 

Is anyone playing with 1440p with this card? What are you fps as of V6.5? 

I'm not annoyed by going from epic settings to high (and a few medium). I was ok with the fps of 35-50 in older versions. So as long at fps doesnt go much further down than this I'm ok.

Other hardware

I7-4770k OC 4,5ghz

8gb 1866 RAM

Evo 830 SSD

27" 1440 is a nicer combo than 24" 1440. Don't even consider 27" at 1080 though if you sit within a few feet of the screen.

Are you currently playing with resolution scaling above 100% on your 970? You could try messing with that to see how your system performs at higher resolutions.

No I'm playing at res scale 100. Yeah would do that. But not sure what number I should choose to get the same work load for gpu. Somewhere I saw 160 but that was a post for January. 

BTW the u2715h is screen I'm considering the most. Habe a 23" 1080p right now. Going to a 25" even if it is 1440p just doesn't seem like a big enough change. 

Edited by Romby

Have you considered the Dell S2716DG monitor? G-Sync will have a very noticeable positive impact on your gaming experience especially in Squad. I know it has for me.

To go from 1080 to 1440 you need to use around 133% resolution scaling.

(1440/1080)*100=133.33

Edited by Major Trouble

Upgrade your GPU and think about AMD if you don't wish to spend an extra $200 on a G or FreeSync monitor. Squad may be very CPU limited but others games aren't.

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

To go from 1080 to 1440 you need to use around 133% resolution scaling.

(1440/1080)*100=133.33

Im not sure if it can be calculated like that. Yes ture there ist 33% difference between 1080p and 1440p. But not sure it that means res scale 133% 1080p is same work load for gpu as 1440p.

17 minutes ago, Romby said:

Im not sure if it can be calculated like that. Yes ture there ist 33% difference between 1080p and 1440p. But not sure it that means res scale 133% 1080p is same work load for gpu as 1440p.

As far as I am aware the game renders the game at your chosen resolution * resolution scale then the image is downsized to your screen resolution. It's why resolution scaling has such a big an impact as it does on performance and why it sharpens the image without using AA.

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

As far as I am aware the game renders the game at your chosen resolution * resolution scale then the image is downsized to your screen resolution. It's why resolution scaling has such a big an impact as it does on performance and why it sharpens the image without using AA.

Ok that makes me happy. Pretty good performance with 133% 1080p. But testing not sure. 

Edited by Romby

I've got a single  970 with a 27" BenQ 1440p monitor, Squad runs pretty well (~50fps on ultra settings) on Kohat and Sumari, but anywhere between 35-50fps on the other maps (same settings). The only time it gets below 30 is when I'm surrounded by smoke, but I doubt that's something only I experience ;)

I think the math works out more like this for res scale, but I have been wrong before.
Actual pixels in each display divided by each other.
178%
65111153c3.png

Edit: This is actually probably completely maybe wrong. Seems a little bit counter intuitive, but does give an idea about potential performance costs from 1080 --> 1440 (almost double the pixels on screen).

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT