Sign in to follow this  
doubleDizz

Adding ambient sound/noise to in-game VOIP/comms

Ambient sounds in VOIP  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have ambient noise like gunfire and explosions added to the squad & squad leader channels?

• Yes, this would be great for immersion
    • No, it would be distracting

In war films, I've noticed ambient noise like gunfire, explosions, yelling, etc is picked up in a soldier's comms and sent through to the channel when they're talking. Can this be added to Squad?

Sometimes when I'm Squad Leader I'll get other SL's asking me how something is going; I'm mid firefight and I'll accidentally yell back to them whilst I'm shooting. On occasion I've  had "no need to yell man" come back from them, which I then apologise and explain I was shooting at the same time.

There wouldn't be this confusion if he heard all the gunfire when I opened my channel.

I think it would add great immersion layer to the comms channels. Obviously it wouldn't be necessary for the local VOIP, just Squad/SL channels

This would be pretty cool. Dunno how you'd do this without having a negative impact team communication, hard to hear some people already

You could simply simulate a bleed function between the local environmental sounds and the VOIP; whenever you use the comms, the sound around you bleeds into the mic. You can get the same effects if you use both your speakers and headset, however.

Lots of people actualy use their speakers instead of headphones, so I hear the gunfire noises quite often. Its the second annoying thing right after hearing my own voice off their speakers

I'm not particularly keen on the idea. Any added noise interferes with communications, and this it may drive communities towards using third party VOIP (which is free of such noise).

Not to mention that the best part of SQUAD's audio is that you can hear the gunfire from across the map anyway. And the fact that you know it's all actual people talking and shooting, instead of some generic background sound effect, makes the sound scape much better. I could understand bleeding local sound into VOIP, but imagine someone with speakers echoing the thing twice every time he talks. Generally speaking, you want the information content of audio signals to be as high as possible, with minimal noise.

Good points. It would take a lot of work to make the ambient gunfire sound in the comms different to the normal game ambient sounds, enough at least to be able to tell the two apart...

This is cool but not for a game based on teamwork.

They better add some goats and other animals in the scenery :P

I think its a good idea, but the noise would have to be limited to explosions close to the player talking, and his own gunshots only.

Great feature. If possibly then it should be toggleable. Anyway, i think this could require huge amount of work for such a little detail

On 2016-07-23 at 4:36 AM, Aleon said:

Any added noise interferes with communications, and this it may drive communities towards using third party VOIP (which is free of such noise).

Every time I see this I wonder if any of you have groups that you play with at all?

If I play a game with the guys on my teamspeak where we have some non-group members in the game I have to hound my guys to use ingame chat so the non-teamspeak people can hear it.

It's like you guys don't think people talk on TS, Vent, Discord, Skype and whatever else already even with clear ingame coms.

I've played a little bit with other communities and they have the same habits. I highly doubt it's only myself and my guys that use Teamspeak even when we're presented with a perfectly fine ingame chat.

I do. I'll bring up PR as an example because I play a lot more PR than SQUAD right now.

Me and my friends are on TS and mumble (the VOIP that PR uses) while playing.

1. When joining the game, getting people together, or just waiting for the next map to finish loading we talk on TeamSpeak.

2. Since the PR mumble is a well designed system, that is accessible and distraction free, we use it for (almost) all in-game communications.

But this is because mumble is well designed and distraction free. Circumventing the in-game comms is ridiculously easy, and if doing so means getting rid of inconveniences, people will do it. If the in-game comms were noisy, I'd do it. Not because I don't want to be a team player, but because there is an existing alternative that does the same thing for me, and does it better. Especially, if the in-game VOIP was artificially made worse, I'd be pretty annoyed. The living example is PR, where the in-game BF2 VOIP system was simply not good enough, and got replaced by mumble and it's PR modified version over the years.