Feli06

No workarounds for AMD users?

Hey there,

I just got myself a new AMD Sapphire RX480 since I haven't found any bad reports on the forums about this card, and so I thought all the AMD trouble had been resolved already. Trying Squad with the new card installed, it now seems the trouble is being caused by my processor, which is an AMD FX8350 8x4,00GHz

I'm wondering, after having to dig quite deep to find guides like this, are there any useful workarounds for the AMD desaster that is going on right now? Ingame, as long as I'm moving, i get 20-40 fps, regardless of the graphic settings being on LOW or ULTRA. Whenever I'm standing still, it drops down to 0,5-5 fps.

Also, can anyone confirm this is a CPU issue, otherwise I could still use the opportunity to send my new AMD GPU back and replace it for a Nvidia.

As a PR veteran I'm very excited to play Squad! ;)

Thanks in advance for any useful tips!

Are your window power settings on High,
do you have any razer software installed
did you try setting audio quality to low.
Yes its your CPU, your GPU is fine and not a bottleneck. (but check the above first)

13 hours ago, SuicidalChair said:

Are your window power settings on High,
do you have any razer software installed
did you try setting audio quality to low.
Yes its your CPU, your GPU is fine and not a bottleneck. (but check the above first)

No, I don't use any razer gear. audio settings was one of the first settings i read about setting them to LOW would help, unfortunately it didnt. I also lowered the MaxChannels=32 or 64 which didn't do the trick.

Good idea with the power settings I've tried that now, without any better results.

I should note that on the testing range it get around 150fps - as soon as i go online, its the same story: around 30-40fps whenever im moving, then back to 0,5-5fps when standing still.

Edit: I'm quite pissed that even Arma3 runs shitty (25fps) on my setup which I now thought would be reasonably up to date. Seems like their engine hates AMD aswell :(

Edited by Feli06

I have the same graphics card but an Intel Sandy Bridge CPU. The game doesn't run as bad as you described,so I imagine it's more of a CPU issue

For now you might wanna try some lower population server see if it helps

As for ArmA 3 I don't think RX480 runs it well at all.

your gpu is fine its the cpu which is pretty much the issue. if the game was running on vulkan or DX12 amd cpu user wouldnt be having these issue.

bbbuuut since there has not been a single word on DX12 switch for Squad (or i believe there has not been done) sadly all you can do is that with the new updates comes rolling in that CPU gets fix.

your gpu is fine its the cpu which is pretty much the issue. if the game was running on vulkan or DX12 amd cpu user wouldnt be having these issue.

bbbuuut since there has not been a single word on DX12 switch for Squad (or i believe there has not been done) sadly all you can do is that with the new updates comes rolling in that CPU gets fix.

Isn't Vulcan/dx12 supposed to help with GPUs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, EminentEnd said:

Isn't Vulcan/dx12 supposed to help with GPUs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it also help with cpu overhead and also letting the cpu send information from more than one core to the gpu.

@Feli06

things you might want to try:

• install all windows updates
  • in case you have Windows 10, open windows defender, click the "settings" button and there will be an option to add exclusions, you can exclude the entire squad folder or even the entire steam folder.
  • in case you have win7: same as above with microsoft security essentials instead. it's the same program with a different name.
  • disable the steam overlay.
    right-click "Squad" in library, go to properties, and uncheck the box that says "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game".

sry for OT:

8 hours ago, RaulO4 said:

bbbuuut since there has not been a single word on DX12 switch for Squad (or i believe there has not been done) [...]

are you serious!?

a few more quotes:

Spoiler

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/3zd8bk/does_squad_use_directx_12/cylaldm

RoyAwesome

You can use DX12, but I very much don't recommend it. It's not in a good place right now on an Engine level.

etc...

http://forums.joinsquad.com/search/?type=all&q=dx12

educate yourself:

https://developer.nvidia.com/dx12-dos-and-donts

The DX12 API places more responsibilities on the programmer than any former DirectX™ API.

switching from dx11 (industry standard atm) to dx12 is not like flipping a switch.

interesting read by Didgy:

Spoiler
On 20.2.2016 at 2:34 PM, Didgy said:

I'm not a developer, so I can not deny or confirm anything. Anything I say in this post is merely how I've understood things.

Recently, a programmer for Squad (RoyAwesome) discussed DX12 for Squad on Reddit, the link is below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/46mynk/devs_future_dx12_integration_async_support/

I've also discussed the matter in a different topic here on the forums, to shed some light on my opinions on the matter and explain it the way I've understood things:

http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/6804-squad-and-multi-gpu-rendering-slixfire/#entry110748

Basically, even if you managed to get DX12-support in the Unreal Engine it would take insane amounts of time (We might be talking years here) to more or less completely rewrite the Unreal Engine code to support the various Async-functionalities. Also, any support would hardly be "proper" support at the moment because developers barely know how to use the new API due to the limited time they've had access to it and haven't been able to fully learn and experiment with it. SLI is currently not supported in UE4 due to the engine using alot of "Previous frame-dependant features", and since the bandwidth between the cards isn't high enough (Through the SLI-bridge or PCIe) the cards can't access each others frames. The same goes for VRAM-stacking, since both cards need a mirror image of the scene stored in the VRAM to be able to render the whole scene. I've read the game needs to be designed from the ground up to support this last feature, and I personally believe it will only work in certain games (Like 2D-scrollers maybe?).

Also, by the time UE4 gets decent DX12-support, Squad might be released already with alot of the code written in DX11. Even though some parts of the game might be easily portable to DX12 (thanks to the engine improvements), I believe large parts of the game would have to be rewritten. Since Offworld Industries has very limited manpower to do this, I doubt they would be doing any extensive porting to DX12. I'd say we would be lucky if we ever get DX12-support and even then it might not even grant any performance boosts.

But I do wish that Squad will really take off and they'd get the manpower to really implement DirectX12 and/or Vulkan!

On 21.2.2016 at 3:53 AM, Didgy said:

I'm not certain how good the current DX12-support is in Unreal Engine at the moment. According to their roadmap on Trello, they're gonna have some form of DX12-support by version 4.12 or 4.13. For now they've just marked the support as "experimental". But Unreal Engine is still filled with alot of single-threaded code due to being based on DX11, and it will take loads of time until they manage to make the engine fully multi-threaded and be able to take full advantage of the new API's features.

I do believe DX12 (and Vulkan for that matter) is here to stay, and will bring solid performance gains when used properly. But I also believe it will take time, probably a year or two. It might even take longer. It took 2-3 years before developers actually started moving onto DX10 and 11. As far as I've understood, DX12 is so drastically different that experience with older DirectX-iterations hardly helps when learning it.

so they are waiting for full support?

on the other note pretty much means "removes cpu overhead" and can help feed the gpu from more than 2 threads. nothing in there says im wrong but confirm it.

also i never said it would be "Easy" to do so. i have seen Dx12 games and Vulkan help AMD cpus perform much better under those api than DX11 can ever do.

its not magically switch of performances fix but its a path open that can be taken to improve performances for AMD users that was not there before. as i said i never believed they said it (dont want to give infor i am not sure of) but if they simple waiting for it than alright good to know.

Edited by RaulO4

On 7/29/2016 at 3:01 AM, RaulO4 said:

it also help with cpu overhead and also letting the cpu send information from more than one core to the gpu.

thanks man

Have the devs mentioned anything about using Vulcan?

Whoah, i must have turned off email-notifications by mistake. Didn't think there would be any more replies!

A huge thank you for the tips, @beginna... unfortunately, I have arleady returned that new AMD card to avoid missing the return deadline.

So now I'm wondering what's the best thing to do. Go all-Intel - altough I'd have to get a new motherboard (which has a bugged BIOS memory anyways) and try to sell my AMD CPU which I spent a small fortune on, thinking I'd be future-proof... and then get a Nvidia card in additon to that?

I just want to play the game, and not be left standing outside in the rain ;)

Edit: Altough my 8 AMD cores already run @ 4GHz, I might have some room to play with overclocking (since I have a pretty huge fan). Could this help?

Edited by Feli06

A) your left outside alone. in the rain. even in the dark.

b) wait on v8 this will magically improve by unicron power the FPS for AMD

c) Yes it is the CPU. AMD does well at multithreating but Squad need High Single Core Treathing. So its just the Games fault.

This is y Intel is prefered by majority of people. AMD so has a lack on how sounds are calculated, thats causing the trouble. And even

if it gets fixed by Devs, the only way is to reduce sounds for AMD userers. Therefore, we will never have the same game as Intel people do.

So I will - after whorshipping myself in order to earn money - leave AMD and buy Intel.

Bad Story bro but RL suxx :-)

1 hour ago, Barbarossa said:

A) your left outside alone. in the rain. even in the dark.

b) wait on v8 this will magically improve by unicron power the FPS for AMD

c) Yes it is the CPU. AMD does well at multithreating but Squad need High Single Core Treathing. So its just the Games fault.

This is y Intel is prefered by majority of people. AMD so has a lack on how sounds are calculated, thats causing the trouble. And even

if it gets fixed by Devs, the only way is to reduce sounds for AMD userers. Therefore, we will never have the same game as Intel people do.

So I will - after whorshipping myself in order to earn money - leave AMD and buy Intel.

Bad Story bro but RL suxx :-)

Well this is unacceptable.  I really wish I knew that "Squad" was having this many problems with AMD users.  I would have never bought the game.  Too late to get my money back I am guessing.  Can a dev respond with how to get a refund since this will not be fixed for AMD users?

To be fair though the information about AMD problems was available quite readily. If you have played it for less than 2 hours you can refund it via Steam, if not you can still wait until Epic optimises the Unreal Engine for AMD cards.

Edited by Frontliner

10 minutes ago, HYP3RVIP3R said:

Well this is unacceptable.  I really wish I knew that "Squad" was having this many problems with AMD users.  I would have never bought the game.  Too late to get my money back I am guessing.  Can a dev respond with how to get a refund since this will not be fixed for AMD users?

Who/When has it ever been mentioned that AMD issues would not be fixed?.

25 minutes ago, HYP3RVIP3R said:

since this will not be fixed for AMD users?

"Specifically addressed by Epic finally.
They are creating their own equalizer in engine which will address the specific inabilities of specific AMD processors.
Keep in mind.. Squad has a crazy soundscape.. we were just the pour suckers that exposed a pre existing issue by using complex sound configurations. There is a low quality sound switch to deal with until we get revised mixer from epic.
cheers!"

Source 
https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/4v11qw/how_does_this_game_run_so_poorly_on_my_pc/

The info is out there, just got to find it bud.

Edited by Dubs

If the info isn't on the steam page then it isn't fair not getting a refund IMO.

We can't expect people to research different places before buying a game, even an alpha project as I now refer to it.

But i'm an Intel/Nvidia fan boy so i'm ok jack.

Edited by Shoshin

I too must admit, I did some rough searching in the forums and on google, and found nothing concerning - most posts even refered to the V7 update fixing this issue. I love the devs even though I haven't been able to play yet, but this should be pointed out at some visible place (like in the early-access info).

May i refer back to my previous question, on whether going all-Intel or overclocking is the best solution? Having rolled back to my old HD 6900 with latest drivers for both GPU and CPU chipset, i get steady 50 fps in training, ~15-20 fps online - again, no matter whether on LOW or EPIC.

btw, I recently found out a friend of mine is rocking Squad with the exact same CPU on HIGH settings. wtf? Could I be searching in the wrong place here, with the fault being either RAM or motherboard related (maybe they're partly defect)?!

I Have the R9 390X Card from AMD

(AMD Radeon R9 390X 8G MSI)

and i dont have any issues with it, im getting 70~90 fps on High/Ultra setting

im pretty sure  it is your CPU rather your GPU 

bottlenecks with the 480 is not reasonable...

if i under stand currently from this post you Refund your RX480, Instead of you i'll try to buy a 970 or to add extra money to buy a 1070 (or you can stick with a 1060 that is just fine)

BTW dont sell your PC or other stuff before you try changing your GPU... try to solve the problem with this CPU if not... sell your AMD PC and just try to buy the best pc there is for your money but remember that you already have the GPU... so it wont be so expensive (try to save some $ from saving your case and fans etc etc...) 

Well if you look up the AMD processors their current line is really BAD what comes to single core performance. Unfortunately, they are like level of 5 year old Intels. They are good in multitasking, but when you really need to crunch some bytes they loose really bad to Intels. Even to similarly priced models. The current trend of hype the multithreading is really misleading and couse trouble to AMD owners, multithreading in single application is still taking baby steps in general in all over the PC level of computing it seems.

AMD FX-8350  single thread performance : 1504

Intel Pentium G4520 : 2038  ( < $100 )

Pentium wins with 35% .. Sad but true, I think AMD advertising is misleading. A bit same trend seems to go (Players refers that they have good CPU and give information "I have i7" while in reality some i7 models aren't even on level with i5) with the Core i5 vs Core i7.

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

On 7/28/2016 at 4:18 PM, RaulO4 said:

That switch has nothing to do with us. :)   just an FYI.  (and I promise you it will not perform as advertised.. so be prepared for disappointment)

40 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

That switch has nothing to do with us. :)   just an FYI.  (and I promise you it will not perform as advertised.. so be prepared for disappointment)

yea the switch all depends if/when UE4 engine gets the updates.

i dont understand the fyi part.

from all the test in Vulkan/dx12

if code correctly AMD CPU can perform much better and get around their DX11 issues like/could be that Squad is seeing. of course it depends on "The issue" squad is having with amd cpu in the first place.

again there is no magical cure just new api that brings in the Tools that makes finding a solution possible where there wasnt one in dx11.

Alright, I managed to sell my AMD CPU surprisingly fast, for a decent price. Abandoning the AMD ship for now ;)

On 29.7.2016 at 1:18 AM, RaulO4 said:

DX12 need to be patches into the engine (Epic has to do that).

Devs said they cant do that, its too much work for them but Epic will add support at one time in future.