Sign in to follow this  
IIIRBR PUNKIII

BREAKING on #Turkey

Turkish military units attempt uprising

An army group in Turkey says it has taken over the country, with soldiers at strategic points in Istanbul and jets flying low in the capital, Ankara.
A statement read on TV said a "peace council" now ran the country and there was a curfew and martial law.
It is unclear who the army group is. There are reports some senior army officials have been detained.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he would overcome what he called an uprising by a minority.
He told CNN Turk by mobile phone the action was by a "parallel structure" that would bring the necessary response. He has used this term in the past to refer to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based Muslim cleric he accuses of fomenting unrest.
Mr Erdogan called on people to take to the streets to oppose the uprising.
He said: "I urge the Turkish people to convene at public squares and airports. I never believed in a power higher than the power of the people."
Mr Erdogan said he was on his way to Ankara and those involved in the action would pay a heavy price.

PM Binali Yildirim had earlier denounced an "illegal action" by a military "group", stressing it was not a coup. He said that the government remained in charge.
The military group's statement on national broadcaster TRT, read by an announcer, said that democratic and secular rule of law had been eroded by the current government. There would be new constitution, it said.
A Turkish presidential source told Reuters news agency that the statement was not authorised by the army's command.
There are reports Turkey's top general, General Hulusi Akar, is among those taken hostage at the military HQ.
Mr Yildirim told NTV by telephone: "There was an illegal act by a group within the military that was acting out of the chain of military command. Our people should know that we will not allow any activity that would harm democracy."

Traffic has been stopped from crossing both the Bosphorus and Fatih Sultan Mehmet bridges in Istanbul.
There are reports of gunshots and at least one loud explosion in the capital Ankara. Other reports said soldiers were inside buildings of the Turkish state broadcaster in Ankara.
Gunfire was also heard outside Istanbul police HQ and tanks are said to be stationed outside Istanbul airport. All flights are cancelled, reports say.
One European Union source told Reuters that the military action "looks like a relatively well-orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels".
Visiting Moscow, US Secretary of State John Kerry said he hoped for peace and "continuity" in Turkey.

rip to all innocents.

these are the only semi-probable possibilities i can imagine atm (in random order):

a segment of the turkish military finally had enough of erdogan's support of isis and slaughter of kurds and oppression of freedom at home etc that theyre rising up against him;

or

erdogan is engaging in  a false flag against himself which is doomed to fail so that he will emerge a hero and be able to double down on his current policies;

or

russia is backing a coup against erdogan;

or

nato is engaging in a flase flag against turkey for trying to improve relations with russia;

or a combination of these?

imagine if a rebel section of the US army attacked cnn, capitol hill, the white house, the civilians that stand in their way, and more, and that the US president is about ready to flee the country, while some citizens and pro-gov forces fight said pro-coup army forces--that is what is happening right now in turkey

and i imagine (and hope) turkish forces are coming to squad as a mod or otherwise

Edited by gunbattle

52 minutes ago, gunbattle said:

rip to all innocents.

these are the only semi-probable possibilities i can imagine atm (in random order):

a segment of the turkish military finally had enough of erdogan's support of isis and slaughter of kurds and oppression of freedom at home etc that theyre rising up against him;

or

erdogan is engaging in  a false flag against himself which is doomed to fail so that he will emerge a hero and be able to double down on his current policies;

or

russia is backing a coup against erdogan;

or

nato is engaging in a flase flag against turkey for trying to improve relations with russia;

or a combination of these?

imagine if a rebel section of the US army attacked cnn, capitol hill, the white house, the civilians that stand in their way, and more, and that the US president is about ready to flee the country, while some citizens and pro-gov forces fight said pro-coup army forces--that is what is happening right now in turkey

and i imagine (and hope) turkish forces are coming to squad as a mod or otherwise

Ya i highly doubt NATO is at hand. But Russia has enough at stake to intervene. Other than that i would add the YPK or the PKK to this list of possible conspirators.

1 hour ago, gunbattle said:

This seemed like the likely option as it started going down and then there were reports or 'reports' that the kurds were suddenly supporting Erdogan and now I'm just confused

I think they should still be allowed into the EU. What could go wrong with more islam.

From what I read and understand, the military fraction ( Secular "Peace at Home Council") was trying to take Erdogan out of play because of his increasing Islamic Militant attitudes (distancing himself from secularism, which I'm sure no one can deny is actually happening), but Erdogan called on the Muslim population to block the coup by gathering in Instabul. He used methods he himself banned to make this happen to. What a tyrant.

Their effort to twist the reins of power out of a militant moron failed though because of the large support for Erdogan, which I find sad. It just goes to show that even if you want your country to be better than it is that if you are outvoted by a majority of people who do not care for secularism and peace as you do, you will never win.

Obama better not hand over Fethullah Gulen to this man.

6 hours ago, warpigau said:

Let Turkey handle their shit. We're involved in enough bullshit. Enough.

Depends on who "we" are.

IMHO Germany/the EU has a lot to do with Turkey to care about it, the question is only how we are supposed to affect the political progress.

On 16/07/2016 at 7:03 AM, gunbattle said:

In my opinion this is the only valid explanation.

Its quite interesting, Turkey is the largest military in EU Nato, He who controls it, controls quite a numerical power. Not to mention a major USAF Base, is in the south of Turkey. If any violence took place down there, It would of required US Military action if any threat happened near its personnel.

Turkey's positioning in the world, makes it a trading bridge between the Middle East and Europe, economic damage would have happened if the coup went any further.

A lot of bad things could of happened if this thing became more than a minor coup.