runningDuck

Leadership Page

Hi everybody, 

just checked out the Wiki a little and thought about putting some work and effort into the Leadership page. 

I mainly play as SL and by the feedback i got i am doing my Job quiet well. 

Topics i have in mind are: 

The beginning of the Round ( welcoming the squaddies, rules of ur lead, communicating the general plan) 

Acting as a Unit, ( keep ur troops together, fight as a unit, do not give up and respawn randomly)

Using the Roles ur Squad has ( Marksmen, Medics, Automatic Rifles, etc)

Squad Communication, ( Local Chat - Squad Chat, What to report and how to report) 

Tactial Situation, ( Where are the enemies, where are we, where is the rest of the team, what is the objective) 

Situational Awareness, ( will there be contact soon, are our flanks covered, do we need to stay or is it better to move out) 

Advanced Squad Lead ( how to do a succesfull frontal assault, how to hold a position until ur bandages run out, how to set an ambush) 

That is the small outlining of topics i think would be good to have in a Leadership Wiki Site, 

feel free to feed back, add, discuss things. As Squad is a WIP, and the meta will change with the implementation of Vehicles this topic of course is a WIP too.

Before though, i think we should gather some ideas about what determines a good SL. 

For me personally that means, 

that at the end of the round we have

- won the round

- at least the same amount of points as the other Squads, 

- a good amount of kills

- and under 9 deaths. 

having less then 9 deaths among the Squad basically means u didnt got wiped a single time. Tough to achieve, but awesome when it happens. 

So long, 

runningDuck

Edited by runningDuck

Usgu   

Go for it, runningDuck. (He's referring to this page: https://squad.gamepedia.com/Leadership)

Please note that there also some SL hints in https://squad.gamepedia.com/Squad_Management

For additional ideas, you can check out The War Academy's training course "Basic Squad Leading": https://www.reddit.com/r/SquadWarAcademy/comments/4cv93r/basic_squad_leading_training_course/

And not to forget the best guide out there, "The Cheesy Tactical Guide":

Section two in that guide covers leadership very well (starting on page 14 in the PDF).

The challenge with topics on SL and leadership in general is that these are huge topics and lots of people have different opinions on what is right and wrong. But just get started; over time we'll get it right. Once there is "something" written down, it's easier to add and improve it.

More input please. What does it mean to be a good SL? 

Another imporant topic would be inner and between squad communication

There is a point "Squad Communication" 

Edited by runningDuck

DocEast   

Same, I'm putting together some of my thought processes and tips/tricks of the irl trade, how they incorporate into Squad, and how and when to stop, observe, analyze, plan, and execute depending on the tactical or strategic situation at hand as well as leadership throughout the entire time. 

Edited by DocEast

Usgu   
2 hours ago, DocEast said:

Same, I'm putting together some of my thought processes and tips/tricks of the irl trade, how they incorporate into Squad, and how and when to stop, observe, analyze, plan, and execute depending on the tactical or strategic situation at hand as well as leadership throughout the entire time. 

Doc, please feel welcome to post any of your insights in the wiki yourself.

DocEast   
7 minutes ago, Usgu said:

Doc, please feel welcome to post any of your insights in the wiki yourself.

Sure, ill look into it as i get it put together. Love being able to extend the things ive learned to others, both in-game, casting for SL, irl, and how they all fit together :) 

Hey there, 

right now i am trying to gather some screenshots of symbolic situation for the Squadleading Page. 

The only thing that worries me a lot is that with the upcoming of V7 the Meta Game will quite change. So it will maybe take some time to adapt. 

Usgu   
2 hours ago, runningDuck said:

Hey there, 

right now i am trying to gather some screenshots of symbolic situation for the Squadleading Page. 

The only thing that worries me a lot is that with the upcoming of V7 the Meta Game will quite change. So it will maybe take some time to adapt. 

Constant change is the only thing that will be constant. Hence, we'll have to embrace it. So, don't worry. Either wait till V7 is out or go right ahead, it does not make much of a difference either way. Even after V7 things will keep changing and we (the wiki editors) will have to keep stuff up-to-date - and that's ok.

On 15/07/2016 at 9:32 PM, runningDuck said:

Hi everybody, 

just checked out the Wiki a little and thought about putting some work and effort into the Leadership page. 

I mainly play as SL and by the feedback i got i am doing my Job quiet well. 

Topics i have in mind are: 

The beginning of the Round ( welcoming the squaddies, rules of ur lead, communicating the general plan) 

Acting as a Unit, ( keep ur troops together, fight as a unit, do not give up and respawn randomly)

Using the Roles ur Squad has ( Marksmen, Medics, Automatic Rifles, etc)

Squad Communication, ( Local Chat - Squad Chat, What to report and how to report) 

Tactial Situation, ( Where are the enemies, where are we, where is the rest of the team, what is the objective) 

Situational Awareness, ( will there be contact soon, are our flanks covered, do we need to stay or is it better to move out) 

Advanced Squad Lead ( how to do a succesfull frontal assault, how to hold a position until ur bandages run out, how to set an ambush) 

That is the small outlining of topics i think would be good to have in a Leadership Wiki Site, 

feel free to feed back, add, discuss things. As Squad is a WIP, and the meta will change with the implementation of Vehicles this topic of course is a WIP too.

Before though, i think we should gather some ideas about what determines a good SL. 

For me personally that means, 

that at the end of the round we have

- won the round

- a good amount of kills

- and under 9 deaths. 

having less then 9 deaths among the Squad basically means u didnt got wiped a single time. Tough to achieve, but awesome when it happens. 

So long, 

runningDuck

- won the round

- a good amount of kills

- and under 9 deaths. 

One can be a good SL and still be on the losing team.

Points only signifiy the magnitude of the contribution made by one squad towards the winning of a round within a basic framework, presetablished in the rules of the game mode.

I.e. take two separate squads: squad A and squad B. Squad A holds the capture point for the duration of the match and racks up capture points. Squad B establishes a blocking position away from, and outside of the capture point where squad A is position. Squad B repels enemy forces from entering the capture point, though does not draw points from defending the point as they themselves are outside of the capture zone.

You can win a game without a large number of kills if you prepare the assault properly in advance i.e. offensive fobs behind the enemy's lines, and then rushing all of his objectives sequentially without giving him the time to fall back and defend the points. Capturing all of the flags will bleed the enemy team into defeat. Additional factors come into play like knocking out the enemys transport.

Deaths can be justified, if the tickets are worth the objective that lead to the deaths. I.e. a number of attempts to demolish a bridge while under fire.

What defines a good squad leader is not statistics and success in EVERY game played, as you will play many, of which some you will won, and some you will lose.

What defines a good squad lead is the ability to rally his squad mates effectively and to direct them cohesively onto the objective.

This is done with clear communication of what he wants the squad to do, and how they should go about doing it.

Good decision make skills based on experience.

The ability to take 8 guys who he has never met before and make them function as a team in a matter of minutes, all of whom have varying experience levels and backgrounds.

Your briefing on an assault or a defence should be so clear that if you disconnect furinv the fight, the objective and plan of attack is so well understood by your team that they will effectively be able to function without you for that specific mission.

Finally, what all look for when joining a teamwork orientated fps, is to play effectively, play to win, but to enjoy doing so. It is possible to enjoy a round without victory.

Some would say the success of a squad leader can be evident when at the end of a match, his squad mates remark what a great game they had, and would play with him again in the future.