Zeno965

The Wrench - June Edition

1d29JWBsxAEOvuZedxoCBAjzCWceymel1QtEaxUw

June Edition

The heat is on

Welcome back to another update from the Modding Hub community! Summer has definitely arrived, and with it, fresh content from our dedicated band of modders. Speaking of Modders, the official Squad Modding hub is growing ever stronger, with plenty of new members joining every day, seeking help and guidance, and we will be there to help them out. So this is definitely the right timing to jump into the editor and start learning, because you will also have a 1800+ member strong modding community that will help you along the way.

Squad SDK is now available on Epic Games Launcher

Thanks to the outstanding support of the Squad developers and our friends at Epic we can now enjoy modding even more. You now have the chance to download the official SDK release through the Epic Games Launcher. This will allow the developers to push their latest content to the SDK and let modders automatically update their SDK to the latest version.

To get the official Squad SDK release please view the step-by-step guide down below. Beware that you now don’t need to download any Unreal Engine version before hand because the SDK already includes the current engine version the game is running on.

Migrating previous content to the new SDK

Migrating your content you’ve created in the previous version of the SDK should work fine. To do so, open your old project, right click the contents you want to migrate, select Asset Actions and then Migrate from the context menu. You’ll now be prompted to add or remove related assets and then select the destination where you want to migrate to. Make sure your relative file paths are the same, meaning that the folder structure should be the same as in the old project. You may run into compatibility issues or your merge might be faulty, so it’s best to make a backup of your content before merging. Documentation on Migrating Assets

How do I get involved in the modding community for Squad?

These are the very first steps you will take to join the modding community of Squad!

1. Head over to https://www.unrealengine.com/ and then click the big blue button titled “Get Unreal”.

2. Register and create your Epic Account.

3. Download the Epic Games Launcher / Unreal Engine 4.

4. Download the Squad SDK located in the “Modding” tab on the Epic Games Launcher.

Recommended:

Join us all at the Squad Modding Hub over on Discord: www.discord.me/SquadModdingHub

You will be able to communicate with fellow modders, ask for help, discuss mods, share ideas as well as interact with the developers of Squad itself! However, please don’t view the latter as an opportunity to swamp the developers with game ideas and what they should do with their game etc, this is a relaxed environment and such ideas should be submitted through the proper channels such as the Suggestions section on the official Squad forums!

Notes:

When you first launch the Squad SDK it will take a fair amount of time to initialise / compile all the information in order to run the editor. This typically takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes and has taken even longer in some cases, it varies depending on your system specifications. Please ensure that you are patient and wait it out!

What do I want to do?

As you may have noticed, Squad is a huge game in terms of variation in content ranging from weapons, characters and vehicles to larger scale elements such as environments. All of this content requires knowledge that can span several disciplines as well as proficiency in external software such as 3D modelling packages (Autodesk 3DS Max, Blender, ZBrush etc) and common game art / design guidelines.

There is a lot to do in the Squad SDK and making the decision of where to start can be the most difficult one, especially for a person with lots of ideas in mind. Personally, if you are someone who has no prior experience in modding or has no game development related knowledge at all, I recommend jumping into the editor and messing around with it for an evening or two to settle down and gain an understanding of the UI and navigation. Explore the existing content for a while and once you’re comfortable enough, you can start deciding on what you would like to sink your teeth into!

Ask yourself what you want to create. Chances are, if you’re being realistic, you can bring whatever idea you have to Squad! Do you want to see different weapons, more attachments, whole factions, various maps that can be fictional or fully based on real world locations, a more in depth medical system or even create your own style of emplacements to build?

What do I need to learn?

In this section I will talk about some of the knowledge you should seek to acquire in order to create the quality content you want to see in-game. First off, to keep it really simple, I will split us all into three major disciplines and note down what they should be looking to learn and what additional software they may need. Please keep in mind that you do NOT need to learn everything, especially if you’re working with a team that has members with knowledge of different areas. It would certainly help, but don’t be pressured to learn it all. Not to mention there’s a lot of helpful people ready to guide you in the Squad Modding Hub on Discord!

Artist

Autodesk 3DS Max & Maya, Blender, Pixologic ZBrush, World Machine, Substance Painter & Designer, Quixel SUITE, Photoshop

• 3D Modeling

• Texturing (PBR)

• Animation

• Lighting

• Material Editor in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)

Designer / Mapper

Unreal Engine 4, World Machine

• Level Design Theory / Principles

• Creating basic landscape materials (Unreal Engine 4)

• Landscape Tools in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)

• Foliage Tools in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)

Programmer / Blueprints

Unreal Engine 4, Visual Studio

• C++

• Blueprints in Squad SDK (Unreal Engine 4)

• Experience with other Scripting Languages helps

All of the software, techniques and knowledge listed is available out there on the internet. Unreal Engine has a vast level of official documentation, artists can find lots of creative tutorials on YouTube for free, designers and mappers have a lot of official Squad content to learn from and explore and programmers and people looking to get into anything technical have the same.

Brazilian Army Community Faction

One of the first Community factions to be announced is the Brazilian Army. This team is being lead by Sshadowfox and is set to definitely add a very exotic flavour to the Squad universe.

Their main focus at the moment is to create a unique set of environmental assets that will teleport you from the current open hills of Kohat to the lush rainforest of the Amazon.

This is an ambitious project with an unique and exciting goal, so they will need all the help they can get. If you are interested in helping the Brazilian faction become reality, please follow the information below.

EtyY72W5THCjK-8wnSQl5b9ekrH-Q06biubpE6N-

Join their discord here:

https://discord.me/ForcasBrasileirasSquad

Winter Airport

Marv has been busy at work this month also, and have gone from tropical forests to icy tundra.

The map in the images below is based on a eastern european airport covered in deep snow, also featuring a total reskinned eastern European faction to go along with it.

We are all very excited to see the coming of winter map, and looking forward to see the progress ahead.

KcLg5BOXb13jiKHxphQRuA1-ht6umk3YtJXC27kG

DkimcTgzMDB4_cqQOkuDps5fFCN55vvHb6m9HFlh

5tRX3TujGFwyGHCiemgObRtBmbx5t3WYb1gSoi0M

JoKJCigrTCD56O5eD8PCf8l44fds6oXhLWczZFeC

Name: Góra
Size: 8x8km

Creator : LMR Sahara
A mountainous European map with two lakes, villages, and dense forests. There is a road going up to the Mountain in which there is an active Military outpost, and a Historic castle with abandoned bunkers. You can lurk through the remote forests and you may be surprised with who, or what you may encounter.

2.png

5.png

3.png

7.png

Name: Forgotten Forest
Theme: Foggy, Eerie and abandoned

Creator: Igno

A scenic map that features Villages, a scenic lake and beautiful forests, get your woodland camo on for this one.

RiverDetails.jpg

Minimap.jpg

To finish up this months recap we have two more “4 teh lulz” videos that shows off some of the more funny things you can do with the SDK.

Jonpas and his Banana grenade for scale

And The Salt and his prototype for Squad: Farming simulator 2016

That's all for this month, make sure to check in to the Modding Hub for all your modding needs, and we will see you in the next edition of The Wrench!

Squad Modding Hub: - Discord link -

Best regards.

Zeno - Mitsu - Rotzbua

With the help from Igno - Assifuah - P1nga

Squad Modding Hub

Management Team

Great to see the community getting the whole modding scene serious!

Sweet! Haven't even seen some of this stuff myself, always a good read and the images are just awesome. :D

This banana granade mod is so unrealistic. I'm a Worms veteran and I can say that the real blast is so much stronger.

1 minute ago, andreher said:

This banana granade mod is so unrealistic. I'm a Worms veteran and I can say that the real blast is so much stronger.

I was going to make a joke about the peeling being too fast too and complain that banana advisors should have denied that from being in the mod, but I'd rather not create more animosity on this subject... :D 

1 hour ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Brazilian faction equals jungles.. been on my wish list for a very very long time

I prefer the southern prairies ...

1 hour ago, andreher said:

Who said it's finished? ;)

46 minutes ago, Zenrique said:

I was going to make a joke about the peeling being too fast too and complain that banana advisors should have denied that from being in the mod, but I'd rather not create more animosity on this subject... :D 

The "peeling" seen in the video is actually something that snuck in while I was playing around with vanilla animations, one bone basically deforms it, it's not an actual animation.

Nice one as always! Hope it will get mentioned on main page of joinsquad.com

1 hour ago, jonpas said:

The "peeling" seen in the video is actually something that snuck in while I was playing around with vanilla animations, one bone basically deforms it, it's not an actual animation.

Oh, dont worry, I actually liked the video and the implementation, it is well done and fun!

I was just an making an out of context joke related to other postings in the forum where some people were complaining about Squad weapons not being 100% authentic, so just ignore it hehehe!

3 hours ago, Zenrique said:

Oh, dont worry, I actually liked the video and the implementation, it is well done and fun!

I was just an making an out of context joke related to other postings in the forum where some people were complaining about Squad weapons not being 100% authentic, so just ignore it hehehe!

Haha, I am terrible at written jokes apparently, thanks! :P

Good write-up, Zeno.

Big fan of the modding community, especially enjoy the converse on the discord. I enjoy watching the lads hook into their projects, witnessing the individual progression and the support the members provide one another. It demonstrates that modders are the heart of this community. Should be proud of your efforts lads, both individually and as a collective.

11 hours ago, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

I'm not allowed to talk on the Brazil server.

You are allowed.
Players there talk in Brazilian Portuguese mostly, but there is always english speakers playing with us.

Thank you for this, as soon as I have new hardware I will also have a look at the UE4 engine and start some stuff for Squad.

Hope you continue these reports, really nice read up, can´t wait for the next one!

EDT: Also the logo and name is really awesome! :P