Stat tracking  

329 members have voted

1. 1. 1.) Are stats good for us?

• Stats are awesome in all shapes and forms. Shower me in stats!!
    • Stats are useful, but some are harmful to the community. (Please describe the differences in a comment if you can.)
    • Other. I can describe below.
  2. 2. 2.) Where should the stats be used?

• Everywhere! Shower me in stats!
    • In a player database.
    • In the forums.
    • In-game, but not during a match.
    • * In-game, but only during matches. (Note: See: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/2174-stat-tracking-ii/page-6#entry47072)
  3. 3. 3.) Who would be able to see them?

• Everyone! Shower them in my stats!
    • Only friends.
    • Only me.
    • Only officers. (Note: See: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/2174-stat-tracking-ii/page-6#entry47072)
    • Only squad mates. (Note: See: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/2174-stat-tracking-ii/page-6#entry47072)
    • Only commander. (Note: See: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/2174-stat-tracking-ii/page-6#entry47072)
    • Show me detailed stats about me, but restrict what others see about me.
    • Only Devs.

Please stop spamming feverish Yes/No arguments in the comments, as your vote is all the voice needed.

Your comment should be about specific alternate cases, or the difference between good and bad stats. (06/30/15)

Vote; don't flame up.

If you believe some types of stats to be good/harmful, please describe below.

i.e. 

• Stats that make people more interested in stat farming should not be included.
  • Stats that give people an idea of your capabilities are helpful.

*Update*

One can see the direction and concerns that the Devs have for Squad. http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/2329-remove-kd-statistics/#entry46413

This highlights the lasting issues that the community has encountered over the years with PR. The question is what kind of stats should not be abandoned.

Some stats are useful but only outside of matches and only visible to the player.

Stats such as hours played, rounds won & lost, favorite gamemode and map, etc are good. 

Stats such as K/D, accuracy, headshots, longest range kill, etc are all useless and have no place in the game at all.

The only stats I could think of that are accumulated from each round from gameplay would be teamwork points, but that is debatable.

Stats such as hours played, rounds won & lost, favorite gamemode and map, etc are good. 

As well as roles played as a % of gametime.

I think stats should only be available to the player, with the game loaded but not in a match. I think only team based stats should be available on the scoreboard. No kills or deaths. 

Questions are opinioned, but I tried still answer best I could.

Shats are stats. If not recorded by the game they will be recorded by 3rd party software, I would assume.. Something like babstats and when that happens it is not good for the game eather. Since it is once dividing factor or atleast were on JOps, hard to get many players out from so called stats servers. Statwhore, each have small inside.

The ingame "scoreboard" should not be a scoreboard at all, it should only show basic information like ping, maybe connection quality, name, clan (if there is separate system), etc. maybe something like deaths and somesort of teamwork scores like Driven miles with persons/equipment as a cargo (could be implemented in way that you get score only after person you houled from A to B gets score in field after you drop them off, medic score .. maybe.

Defend / attack time in AAS are good, scoring also could be divided to zones which are distance from POI, S(uper)FOBs and such could have defend zone which all is counted to teamworkscore. What would be shown on the end of the round is a question, I wouldn't mind if KD would be only shown like negative, neutral, positive for each other and no kills%Deaths at all.

Maybe system where you will see much more detailed score by yourself (Atleast I'm interested always to see KD, Medscore, Teamwork scoring, Headshots, shots per kill, etc. just to see how I managed to pull the current round out.

The favourite items and time between kills, time played X gametype or favourite gametype could be things not necessary for permanent stats. Also there could be option to show to yourself (and clanmembers) more detailed stats ..maybe.

Then the persistent scores could be in internet site and not in game or steam at all, shown to every member of the game if searched. I'm not too keen of removing the old style K/D etc. scores, but there should be much more detailed teamwork scores and maybe even Top of the week / overall score boards, but only for teamwork scoring type of score which would promote teamwork also..

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

Questions are opinioned, but I tried still answer best I could.

It would help if you described your preferences.

Ive never experienced K\D ratio stats hurting a game sorry and I got some extensive game time in BF2 and BC2. I just dont buy the complaints of k/d causing lonewolf behavior, Ive never seen it.

Adding to my OP I will quote this I wrote a few months ago on these forums regarding the end of round scoreboard

I think that removal of the mid-round kills and deaths of individual players is definitely something that has to be done, but I do not think that removal of you, your squad's, and your team's total and individual teamwork points should be done!!!

Part of why I play PR is that one can be a squad leader (or even a squad member) and at the end of the round and mid-round see your progress as a squad, it gives a feeling that you know you did a good job that round. Seeing the points you get individually can also allow you to see your progress in the squad from things like fob digging. But only points which are related to team/squad contributions, not the points shown for kills obviously. Maybe even ability to see other squad's points. 

I also think that it is very important to show the total kills/deaths of the team mid-round. This can allow you to determine enemy tickets and progress.

(However whether or not post-round individual kills/deaths should be displayed I am not sure.)

So over all I think:

1. That individual players should not have a kill/death score nor count, rather a total team kill/death count during mid and post-round.

2. That you should be able to see you, your team's , and your squad's total and individual teamwork points. (maybe even every squad's total and/or individual teamwork points?)

Ive never experienced K\D ratio stats hurting a game sorry and I got some extensive game time in BF2 and BC2. I just dont buy the complaints of k/d causing lonewolf behavior, Ive never seen it.

Well I have...the likes Delta Force,Joint Operations,never played others so can't tell...

Played JO's other night 62kills-20deaths-18headshots

Baby I'm a Statwhore... :lol:

We need to assault this compound to get the obj and move on as a team. "No I might die and weaken my KDR, would much rather sit here and farm kills from the enemy spawning to defend their objective"

Deny as much as you like but bottom line it will happen if implemented.

^Agreed...

If we gonna have stats then it should be about the Squad.

If we do have personal player stats,then it should be private and only be viewed by the player...Any copy/paste stats posted on this forum would be punished by getting a kick in the Nutz!... :lol:

Or we don't have them at all in any way shape or form, and people play the game as intended, and have the friendships and memories as their 'take aways' rather than a bunch of numbers.

Wouldn't it be nice to know if your squad member is new, or a vet?

What about how much experience he/she's had with that kit?

I know there are stats that will do more damage than good, but some things are useful. What they are, or examples of them could make the difference.

We don't need to argue; just bring your opinion to the table so we can all see.  B)

If stats count the - k/d (Kill Death),

- KPM (Kills per Min),

- W/L (Win Losse),

- Accuracy

- SPM (Score per Min.)

or somting equal, that is harmfull to the community.

General stats but like below are fine, in my opinion. (all Numbers are random and just for show)

Playtime - Role

- Squadmember

-Squad Leader

- Commander

- Vehicle XY

Most used Weapon and  Tool.

506 captured flags

801 epipens used

204 Mines Deployed

71632 shots fired (no hit couter for the Accuracy)

23,709km Drived

i want a bath tub full of stats: miles/km walked, bandages used, average amount of entry into vehicles per round, etc.  the more useless/absurd the better.  

i want a bath tub full of stats: miles/km walked, bandages used, average amount of entry into vehicles per round, etc. the more useless/absurd the better.

Im not sure if this is sarcasm but seeing miles walked, bandages used, explosions survived, amount of times you got incapacitated and lived on to fight and finish out a match without dying.. id honestly find it a cool little menu to look through when im not playing lol

Please, please, PLEASE - only basic, non combat stats. I know we all want squad to get as wide spread and reach as many people as possible but, PR is a beautiful haven from the unhealthy competetion these systems bring and I'm hoping for similiar from squad. I believe one thing that helps that is the lack of combat stat tracking, don't make a deal with devil here!

Wouldn't it be nice to know if your squad member is new, or a vet?

What about how much experience he/she's had with that kit?

I know there are stats that will do more damage than good, but some things are useful. What they are, or examples of them could make the difference.

We don't need to argue; just bring your opinion to the table so we can all see. B)

Because that will lead to elitism. Do you want to get kicked out by the squad leader because you are new or not l337 enough?

I get the desire to have stats but long term, they don't actually add to gameplay and replayability. BF4 stats, while cool has made me change how I play, and not for the better of my team.

I personally would Prefer the devs concentrate on gameplay, maps, and vehicles than to spend a ton of energy getting the perfect stat system.

I think stats are an amazingly powerful tool, that said, a tool not for the public/ community, a tool for the Devs.

Track the stats, that's great, but keep most of it private. We already see a small problem in PR with certain kits and Kill/Death ratios, I personally don't want this made worse with what will essentially be a "broadcast" system for stats. Devs can use stats to see how players act and such, maybe keeping track of team kills and such, however in a game, dare I say it like PR team-killing is unavoidable, it will always happen, and its usually a mistake and all is forgiven, but its still a useful stat. with that short rant done, here is a few points that in my opinion would be good for the "public"/ community to be able to view.

- Healthy Stats-

- Time played

- Most played Map

- Rank (if implemented, related simply to time played and has nothing else tied to it, does not reward player with anything other than the rank.)

- Objectives Captured (includes both Cache destruction and "flag" captures to avoid competition.)

-Unhealthy Stats-

- Any sort of role stats, if publicly view able. Let me give an example: X player flies the transport helicopter a lot, while player Y doesn't and when player Y joins the correct squad for transport he gets kicked after the Squad Leader sees that he doesn't have many hours, a way to counter this may be to have tutorials, and have the SL of the squad see what tutorials you have completed. or just do away with that and make the tutorial mandatory to get the kit related to that area. i.e Pilots do the flight tutorial (split up into Trans, CAS, fixed wing.) For heavy weapons you do the Heavy Weapons tutorial, etc.

- All competitive stats, including K/Dr, Rounds fired-Rounds hit, Play time with certain kits, etc.

Sorry for the long post but that's my two cents, have a great day everyone and thanks for reading!

NO! Just no. 

P.S.: If DEVs want stats THAT MUCH, then they should make it visible only to the devs themselves(for developing purpose) and server administrators(as a precaution against griefers), and that's it, no one else!

I've got to play the devils advocate here because this topic has been beat to death.

In NOOOOOOOOO circumstance have I seen, in the 8 years of PR that I have played, a successful attempt at "stat-whoring"

sure there are people that build things for stats....but were they successful at "stat-whoring" as some would call it....not really they built things for the team

PR, by the nature of the game, makes "stat-whoring" boring and useless

If any of you think that removing stats is going to make "elitism" any less prevalent then you are ignorant 

Do you think any one clan or group of people can't recognize who is better at the game without stats?  are you serious or just stupid?

I am so sick of this argument.   And quite frankly I like to know if I suck at the game or not....I don't need to be ignorant to be happy

All that being said....does K/D ratio determine if I am good at the game or not...hell no.......however if you consistently get a K/D ratio over 50 games of 0-10...then I don't care how you cut it...you suck at this game

PR did good in the fact that they didn't' include cumulative stats on a secondary server....but in reality everyone who played the game for a long period of time (because the community is fairly small) knew who was good and who wasn't 

so you can talk about stats and everything until you are blue in the face, however it is not gonna drastically change the outcome of the game

At the end of the day...When I see a guy in the game that I have consistently seen play better than other people I am gonna squad with them....you know why? not because of some stat but because I know the names and I know they are gonna play serious

This isn't kindergarten anymore...

we don't all need to get a trophy...

we can't all be winners...

sometimes you are just a loser.....deal with it

(PS. this is coming from a guy that was never great at PR...but guess what I still enjoyed it even if I was at the bottom of the list....grow up people)

- Healthy Stats-

- Time played

- Most played Map

- Rank (if implemented, related simply to time played and has nothing else tied to it, does not reward player with anything other than the rank.)

- Objectives Captured (includes both Cache destruction and "flag" captures to avoid competition.)

-Unhealthy Stats-

- Any sort of role stats, if publicly view able. Let me give an example: X player flies the transport helicopter a lot, while player Y doesn't and when player Y joins the correct squad for transport he gets kicked after the Squad Leader sees that he doesn't have many hours, a way to counter this may be to have tutorials, and have the SL of the squad see what tutorials you have completed. or just do away with that and make the tutorial mandatory to get the kit related to that area. i.e Pilots do the flight tutorial (split up into Trans, CAS, fixed wing.) For heavy weapons you do the Heavy Weapons tutorial, etc.

- All competitive stats, including K/Dr, Rounds fired-Rounds hit, Play time with certain kits, etc.

I agree...

Let me start by saying I have been playing PR since 2006 and have been in many matches. I understand both sides of the fence here. I suck at killing and play a supporting roll most of the time. My goal as a player is to enhance the team momentum with supplies and logistical support. In PR you get awesome team work points for doing just that but that is not what I want to see. I want to know how many people spawned on the FOB I built, how much that crate I dropped got used, how many kills or suppressions that static 50 cal I built got, how many uses that static heavy AT got or how often it was manned. Most of the people not wanting stats are looking at what stats are being presented now in games. We have a chance here to change that and incorporate stats in a whole different way, with an emphasis on team work. I look at this like a sport, all popular sports have stats collected. The more stats you have the better picture you have of your self as a player and how you help / hinder the team. Stats help show you what works and what doesn't.

The down side to stats is that they can be used by those that only look at them as a mark of how great they are in comparison to others, or to belittle others at how bad they are. We also see in professional sports where some players tailor their actions to keep their stats high for various reasons. In the end everyone sees it for what it is and marks that player accordingly. What I would like to see is lots of stats that can only be seen outside of the game and is only added to the database after the round is finished. Maybe show some teamwork stats at the end of the round. The other is to let commanders see some stats to help them see what is going on on the battle field.

Let me start by saying I have been playing PR since 2006 and have been in many matches. I understand both sides of the fence here. I suck at killing and play a supporting roll most of the time. My goal as a player is to enhance the team momentum with supplies and logistical support. In PR you get awesome team work points for doing just that but that is not what I want to see. I want to know how many people spawned on the FOB I built, how much that crate I dropped got used, how many kills or suppressions that static 50 cal I built got, how many uses that static heavy AT got or how often it was manned. Most of the people not wanting stats are looking at what stats are being presented now in games. We have a chance here to change that and incorporate stats in a whole different way, with an emphasis on team work. I look at this like a sport, all popular sports have stats collected. The more stats you have the better picture you have of your self as a player and how you help / hinder the team. Stats help show you what works and what doesn't.

The down side to stats is that they can be used by those that only look at them as a mark of how great they are in comparison to others, or to belittle others at how bad they are. We also see in professional sports where some players tailor their actions to keep their stats high for various reasons. In the end everyone sees it for what it is and marks that player accordingly. What I would like to see is lots of stats that can only be seen outside of the game and is only added to the database after the round is finished. Maybe show some teamwork stats at the end of the round. The other is to let commanders see some stats to help them see what is going on on the battle field.

While you make some good points and I would like to see those kinds of stats too, it would again, be used in a competitive stance, Its just how people are, you would see a trend in people building FoBs in needlessly dangerous areas just to get the "ammo resupplied" or "50.cal suppression" stats. Trust me, I wish we could have cool stats, it would be nice, but it would just, in my opinion, turn out like most stats do, after all stats are a measurement of "skill" in games, if you are good at resupplying, people can make even that competitive.

Its a shame, but its the truth as I see it.

Edit: One last point to mention, I know people like to make a point that Squad isnt PR, we get that, but take an example from PR, a lot of us have been playing PR for so many years now its a little crazy and we have never had stats, I can honestly say that I have never once wanted stats in PR. Its a game that I get into and think, right, my role is X, im going to do X as best I can. And it has never crossed my mind that I want stats to track that.