I thought I would start a general Level Design thread.  I am new to maps of this size.

Add things in here that are needed or ideas that affect game play; from a level design perspective.

I am currently learning this games mechanics and game play - so any additional items on how the current game play flows and any changes to this would be good.

I am aware that this is in alpha; and many things are not optimized - like tree collisions.

First off, I see an issue with terrain - it seems I can pretty much climb and walk anywhere.  Need to use that slope bias more.

Hey buddy welcome here at this family. 

Join moder discord channel. There you will find what you need. And hundreds of moders, tips, discussions, also about maps, models and others. 

I am not goin to give you any connection link. Train "search skills" bro. You cant miss it. 

See ya at field. 

And check out some project reality videos to see how the future of the game play will look. I am so excited to see everyone's maps, waiting for apartment buildings and urban stuff before i create mine.

the response may vary depending on who you get in here.

i will be using the forums as my primary information hub - it's simple and easy to navigate.

i don't use Discord because it is not simple or easy to navigate, has no search functions and is essentially just an endless twitter stream

Hey Caffeinestew. 

I am working to get more of the devs back here in the forums we just need to clear out some of the trolls we have let hang around for some reason. 

Dev engagement isnt high here as a result but it is extremely high on our subreddit and discord servers. 

I will do what I can to get more devs back in here in the coming weeks. 

I also want to get some more tutorials and videos for mapping up as well.  (I am the lead mapper)

Hey..  "Level Design" proper is really hard to nail down in open world games like SQUAD. A lot of the basic traditional principals apply but being that the levels are so large I've been finding it easier to lay out a macro idea and then fill in areas while keeping design principals in mind. On Gorodok for example, the terrain was made and then the general cap areas were roughed out by Taxi and me. I then went back in and 'designed' some areas like upper and lower Niva, using the cliffs to restrict players and forests for cover so that certian areas had some ebb and flow to them while trying to keep the whole map balanced.

It is hard to approach maps in SQUAD from a more traditional 'level design' perspective, which has it's own challenges, but the other side of the coin is that it is much harder to mess up the entire map balance being that the map is so huge and open. In my down time, car rides and showers, I've been thinking through how to push the traditional desig /whitebox method into how I would lay out level for SQUAD. I've got some ideas floating around and may try them out on the next map I create. Gorodok is my first run at a 4k map so I've learned a lot but still want to push myself to tackle level creation for SQUAD in fresh ways.

My most recent source of inspiration for pushing design in open world games has been this GDC talk from Campo Santo, the devs of Firewatch.

..oxy..

Thanks for the info.  I have been trying to absorb as much "newer" level design info as I can.

I just watched, havent played this game, have watched some gameplay vids.  Obviously, making the world of Firewatch; is a good example of problem solving.

I am keeping several things in mind when trying to approach the large map design - Squad still needs a "story", whatever that may be.  There are many ways to write a story.   Maybe not an overall hardlined story, but something as a basis.  Maybe each map has its own, maybe multiple stories within, whatever.  The Firewatch level design still uses this basic concept.

Squad is not any different - war stories can be the most compeling we hear.

Spots of interest, cool story land marks, props of interest; etc...Squad I think should be no different.

I was thinking of the "walking distance" element: this is actually a game mechanic: the "walking and talking is fun" is an important player feedback they mentioned; although many games have already discovered this.  You could do something with this as an added mechanic or option - "Squad" it.

On 05.07.2016 at 9:42 PM, caffeineStew said:

Add things in here that are needed or ideas that affect game play; from a level design perspective.

It's strange that noone talks about shit like that. I mean how to do a great maps from gameplay perspective. And what is bad.

Something like why deadends, long fences without holes or the building with the same number of floors are bad.

For example why I like buildings on gorodok: because there are one or two buildings with 2 floors in the middle which are dominating. When you playing the game: this buidlings become the key points, which you are trying to capture, because they are giving you an advantage.

So placing some "key buildings" that giving the best advantage (best cover, best view) is always good. But not every building should be the key.

And another thing that is bad in squad is height of the window sill  (because you can't aim at someone on the ground) but I think in the new maps they began to fix it.

Edited by FishMan

...Something like why deadends, long fences without holes or the building with the same number of floors are bad.

For example why I like buildings on gorodok: because there are one or two buildings with 2 floors in the middle which are dominating. When you playing the game: this buidlings become the key points, which you are trying to capture, because they are giving you an advantage.

So placing some "key buildings" that giving the best advantage (best cover, best view) is always good. But not every building should be the key.

Cheers, glad you notice stuff like this. The placement of those double story building are intentional exactly for the reason you mention. As far as the fences go, in level design, especially multiplayer, you should avoid dead ends as much as possible. Especially dead ends at long halls or streets that force the player to retrace their steps for more than a second or two, they frustrate the player and break the flow of the game. I try to always have holes in fences or at least one entrance and one exit to passable areas.

This is a fantastic guide that I always share with people who express interest in level design, so many key concepts here:

http://bobbyross.com/blog/2014/6/29/the-visual-guide-for-multiplayer-level-design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/07/2016 at 2:57 AM, oxygencube said:

is that all there is to this? simple single page overviews of the "standard" MPFPS?

going by what you said i thought it would have some kind of depth to it but it just seems to contain very basic, mostly common sense stuff.

i have two design vibes to choose from;

1.realistic, derived from reality, map design, that will hopefully give a fairly immersive experience.

2. out-of-the-box, completely off-the-wall if i can, disregarding many of Newtons ideas, purely to see what interesting things i can achieve with the content.