YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Do we have an Idea on how mortars will work?

Nope!

The system itself needs more development time and I'm fairly sure the devs can take it in several directions at this stage so trying to figure out or speculate isn't going to do anything at this time either, besides fill people with false information. 

All we know / have seen is that:

Mortars ARE going to be in Squad

&

we know the M1937 will be one of them (sauce)

&

it's "planned for much later down the track as a FOB deployable"

Also, the only confirmed thing we've seen so far is an art asset rendered out of engine. Pls, no speculation / idea hype thread. There's too many of them these days. :P

it could easily work like in original battlefield 1942 game.

it would be REALLY hard to hit anything if the only aiming mechanics is the "iron sights" on the mortar.... I would think the devs will give some sort of aimassist - as to make it easier to know where the fuck you are shooting :P

I'm hoping for something similar to PR, where you plug your distance and target's height into a range calculator which spits out the angle you need to be at. Then it's just a matter of adjusting your mortar's elevation and firing whatever rounds necessary.

Most likely they will start from something similar to PR. They pretty much nailed it there so don't see why to invent wheel twice. If you want to know what's it like just check out PR. It's free

Haha it will definitely add a different element to the game especially in those dug in situations.

I am not sure how we are going to be able to use them effectively. Anyone got a PR vid link as I guess Squad will follow a similar theme. 

1 hour ago, bilsantu said:

I feel like we won't get 120mm mortars. 

Why so, Joe? Just another IDF weapon system with a larger lethal radius. The range will likely be restricted as in PR. Keep the faith.

I, for one, welcome our new high-angle overlords.

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

I am not sure how we are going to be able to use them effectively.

Let me tell you how mortars work in PR.

Scenario 1 (which is somewhat common) is you just saturate targets where you think your guys are heading to soften it up (works well, especially on maps where the flag is a small fortification so you can guarantee people are clumped inside the walls)

Scenario 2 is you're waiting all day to get coordinates to dump all of your tubes into and you have nobody willing to do it and one guy who is far too willing to call you the whole round for every enemy he sees.

Mortars in PR are fun up until you get spotted by enemies and have your position raided (people WILL come looking for you) and I'm sure Squad will have the same vibe. Defensive positions will not be viable if there's a squad set on being mortar support.

1 hour ago, Guacamole said:

Why so, Joe? Just another IDF weapon system with a larger lethal radius. The range will likely be restricted as in PR. Keep the faith.

I, for one, welcome our new high-angle overlords.

Why would they restrict range?

Mortars in PR are really fun to use. I feel like the way they worked in there should be transitioned into Squad.

In Project Reality, the 81mm had a restricted range of 1500m, about one-quarter the range of the real-life weapon system. Gameplay reasons. One assumes the Devs would do the same with Squad.

7 hours ago, Rybec said:

Let me tell you how mortars work in PR.

Scenario 1 (which is somewhat common) is you just saturate targets where you think your guys are heading to soften it up (works well, especially on maps where the flag is a small fortification so you can guarantee people are clumped inside the walls)

Scenario 2 is you're waiting all day to get coordinates to dump all of your tubes into and you have nobody willing to do it and one guy who is far too willing to call you the whole round for every enemy he sees.

Mortars in PR are fun up until you get spotted by enemies and have your position raided (people WILL come looking for you) and I'm sure Squad will have the same vibe. Defensive positions will not be viable if there's a squad set on being mortar support.

Thanks but I was more after specific roles and what players get to do? Can anyone assume a mortor role like they do operating a .50?

14 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Thanks but I was more after specific roles and what players get to do? Can anyone assume a mortor role like they do operating a .50?

we dont actually know yet tbh. Just starting on designing the systems for it.. but.. 

Merlin programmed teh PR system

Sgt Ross was a marine mortarman..  

so.. i think it should be good!

7 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Mortars in PR are really fun to use. I feel like the way they worked in there should be transitioned into Squad.

well.. the same guy will likely be coding them so the odds of getting a similar but way better system are extremely HIGH

21 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

we dont actually know yet tbh. Just starting on designing the systems for it.. but.. 

Merlin programmed teh PR system

Sgt Ross was a marine mortarman..  

so.. i think it should be good!

OK cool. I'd be glad to hear how they might function once you guys have fleshed it out.

I am sure the community might have a few ideas but not sure if you fancy that debate at this present time ;)

Mortars worked pretty great in PR, negative points were not being able to move them as they were FOB emplacements and rearming being very tedious. The whole limited range, different ammo, targeting system and spread worked very well.

12 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

I am not sure how we are going to be able to use them effectively. Anyone got a PR vid link as I guess Squad will follow a similar theme. 

EDIT: You got 3 rounds  1=Impact 2=Airburst 3=Smoke.

Edited by Flezzefur

So spotter/SL who marks the map for target fire and any squad member then uses a mortar on their own setting range/direction/rounds. Have to wait and see how devs will do it in Squad but mortar base squad looks fun and a diversion from compound assaulting/defending.

I hope SLs don't confuse their keypads as we're all so used to using our phones these days. Might be a useful addition to the map.

Keypads.jpg

Edited by Major Trouble