Chuc

June 2016 Monthly Recap

On 3.7.2016 at 2:35 PM, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

Unfortunately WASD is the most often seen solution... It is really ackward, the mouse steering is much more natural, but the trick is to enable also the freelook with it.. The steering with mouse and acceleration and braking with A (forward) & S (reverse) is the one of the most natural way of steering the vehicles without dedicated analog controller.

Which brings me to a followup. 

Devs Joystick support? Please.

On 3.7.2016 at 9:56 PM, =Jack-Daniels= said:

LoL dat RoF......

Lets hope that we end up with a nation that uses this gun alongside a MG-42/3. It would be a glorious wall of steel. 

Good fun: 

Edited by Quatsch
Added some stuff.

Sorry if this was covered in one of the particularly lengthy posts, but with the new US soldier models, I'm noticing they're wearing sunglasses. Two things:

• I'm assuming this won't affect the visuals, in the first person perspective?
  • Will they still be wearing these "sunnnnnglasses at night"?

14 hours ago, ZiGreen said:

There are several ways to "top off" SKS with single rounds, but all of them are dangerous, cumbersome and time consuming. For example, you can hold a carbine with one hand, pull the bolt to the rear end with second hand. Here you need a third hand to push down the loaded round and load a single rounds one at time. Or you can turn the carbine upside down, open the mag and add an even number of rounds, because if you add an odd number of rounds you'll get a jam. Anyway, you can't top off the mag with clips, only single rounds, because the front part of bolt assembly fixes clip when SKS is being reloaded properly, but there would be misalignment between bolt assembly and magazine, because bolt is pulled back further than being stopped by bolt catch.

If you need to reload, you can just open the mag to dump all rounds left in mag, eject the chambered round and load the new stripper. You'll lose your ammo and this way is still longer than reloading of empty carbine, but still better than methods listed above.

The only appropriate way is to shoot all rounds in mag and just load a new clip. This is actually how SKS done in Project Reality. But PR devs adapted this feature to gameplay: SKS is the weapon of Militia medic, so he has a gun with decent ballistics and ammo capacity, which is powerful enough to act as self-defense weapon, but inability to quickly reload SKS forces medics to avoid serious firefights.

No disrespect to KaB because the animations look great but I also think that topping off the SKS should not be an option in game. IMHO it's a little disappointing that something that's phisyically impossible irl was added for game balance. I was hoping that balance would be achieved in other ways, not by making weapons better or worst than they really are. After all, reflecting real life advantages and disadvantages in game is what adds flavor and encourages ppl to adapt their tactics.

On 5.7.2016 at 2:37 AM, VarenykySupreme said:

Yeah, an untrained militia soldier sure is likely to reload like that, right?

No, it doesn't make sense for an untrained shooter, it makes sense for nothing other than visual appeal to those who've never tried reloading a PPSh before. To me, this reminds me heavily of the flare of the reload from Payday: The Heist's AK:

Are you a militia terrorist or do you have contact to them? How do you know the reloading is wrong?

Just because he's pulling back the bolt with his new loaded magazine still in his hand you think it's an oh so cancerous "tacticool chris costa style derp reload" that is so bad, wrong and pure devil that it would be heresy for it be ingame?

Maybe that is what experienced Militia soldiers are doing? Who knows? That reloading technique isn't flawed.

What's with the hostility? Use your words without acting like a child. 

Says the one childishly bitching about every little detail that isn't perfect in your eyes - it does take some maturity to realize that not everything can be perfect and is made to please you (and only you), but i guess that would just be beyond your mental capabilites.

but nobody would pick up a PPSh and reload it like this regardless of how poor their training is or even in the event that they've not been trained at all.

You always speak for a lot of people, do you? Mature!

You're also making the assumption that these people are untrained shooters?

Oh, I bet their training is "very special".

I didn't make the statement that every militia soldier is "untrained".

Militia has realistic ties to the Novorossiyans in Ukraine as well as the Chechens and other militiant Eastern European factions; many of these people are dedicated terrorists or former military (like Givi and Motorola in the DPR) so they've got training.

If this goes to the Militia, then that makes even less sense because they're tied to real life Islamic Militant groups that have been fighting since the 1980s. Saying they're inexperienced shooters makes about as much sense as saying that ISIS is inexperienced at beheading people: even if they were, proficiency can be gained quickly. 

Iraqi insurgents received training, Taliban received training, ISIS sends their meat to training camps too. Now for a few minutes, lean back and think about what that training is worth.

Again, I didn't say that every terrorist fighter is inexperienced, but the point is that there can obviously be variations in how they teach to reload their weapons. Are you seriously denying that?

You're trying really hard making up statements I didn't say, do you?

On 7/5/2016 at 0:37 PM, VarenykySupreme said:

Garand thumb is bullshit. You only get it if you're stupid. 

The famous garand thumb was brought into light from exhausted, sleep deprived, starving soldiers in WW2, living off of adrenaline. Not pulling the bolt back so it locked on the bolt catch, instead it got caught on the mag follow. Thus, slight pressure/movement caused the bolt to be released and people were sucking their thumb like they were at 12 months old again. This mixed with how they were taught to reload with fingers curled instead of fingers flat on the side against the charging handle, were the main instigators, old training mixed with stress factors = Garand thumb.

If you manage to get garand thumb in this modern age at a range where you have all the time in the world and limited stress factors, then yes, you're a bit on the stupid side. In a combat scenario where multiple factors are in play, I'd say bad luck and try to focus more.

P.S I still reload the old way, don't like the feel of hand flat against charging handle.

1 hour ago, carmikaze said:

Are you a militia terrorist or do you have contact to them? How do you know the reloading is wrong?

Just because he's pulling back the bolt with his new loaded magazine still in his hand you think it's an oh so cancerous "tacticool chris costa style derp reload" that is so bad, wrong and pure devil that it would be heresy for it be ingame?

Maybe that is what experienced Militia soldiers are doing? Who knows? That reloading technique isn't flawed.

Says the one childishly bitching about every little detail that isn't perfect in your eyes - it does take some maturity to realize that not everything can be perfect and made to please you (and only you), but i guess that would just be beyond your mental capabilites.

You always speak for a lot of people, do you? Mature!

Oh, I bet their training is "very special".

I didn't make the statement that every militia soldier is "untrained".

Iraqi insurgents received training, Taliban received training, ISIS sends their meat to training camps too. Now for a few minutes, lean back and think about what that training is worth.

Again, I didn't say that every terrorist fighter is inexperienced, but the point is that there can obviously be variations in how they teach to reload their weapons. Are you seriously denying that?

You're trying really hard making up statements I didn't say, do you?

Don't worry..  we neither listen to anything varenkysupreme  says or take him seriously. 

It's your fantasy. He just said this animation looks awkward and it does, than he described why because he was asked.

Says the one childishly bitching about every little detail that isn't perfect in your eyes - it does take some maturity to realize that not everything can be perfect and made to please you (and only you), but i guess that would just be beyond your mental capabilites.

The only bitching person is you, bitching about feedback comment about monthly recap written in montly recap thread. There were no whining intil you came and started talking about childish attitude. I find this animation awkward too, so what? Something wrong with my mental capabilities too?

18 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Don't worry..  we neither listen to anything he says or take him seriously. 

You just have allowed fanboys to insult community members because you personally dislike them.

15 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Don't worry..  we neither listen to anything he says or take him seriously. 

Varenky or the other guy? This is kind of a big deal and requires a flat honest answer. I don't mean to impose but that is a very open statement for interpretation and who you aimed it at affects the entire community.

Just now, NotBrad said:

Varenky or the other guy?

I guess varenky if you read the other post of the Wood Taxi

6 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

Varenky or the other guy? This is kind of a big deal and requires a flat honest answer. I don't mean to impose but that is a very open statement for interpretation and who you aimed it at affects the entire community.

Varenky. edited my post for clarity. 

We are done with these types of discussions. It quite literally has decreased dev engagement on these forums to the point where I am concerned. 

I am interested NotBrad..   how does this affect the entire community? Last I checked the engagement on these forums has dwindled to a trickle.  Not even 1% of the player base is represented here in active posters.  (Which I would like to change)

6 minutes ago, koschilein said:

I guess varenky if you read the other post of the Wood Taxi

That's what I'm worried about. If it is at varenky that's kinda like a big fucking deal. Not because of it being varenky specifically, but because he voices the sentiments of many of the earliest supporters, myself sometimes included. And that bullshit comment may have just knocked iron off my all time list of favourite developers and he was the only fucking person on it.

2 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

That's what I'm worried about. If it is at varenky that's kinda like a big fucking deal. Not because of it being varenky specifically, but because he voices the sentiments of many of the earliest supporters, myself sometimes included. And that bullshit comment may have just knocked iron off my all time list of favourite developers and he was the only fucking person on it.

pay me the respect then of taking two seconds to take a step back and see what these forums have degraded into. a serious deep look. 

When the devs that I bust my ass for everyday won't even venture on these forums anymore due to the ridiculous threads..  we have a problem. 

3 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

That's what I'm worried about. If it is at varenky that's kinda like a big fucking deal. Not because of it being varenky specifically, but because he voices the sentiments of many of the earliest supporters, myself sometimes included. And that bullshit comment just knocked iron off my all time list of favourite developers and he was the only fucking person on it.

I´m not one to choose sides but I totally get why Irontaxi posted what he did, varenky´s posts are often  kind of mean for the dev´s and other people on the forum itself.

I am one of the guy´s who has been here from the get got and there are some black sheep on this forum.

Not saying that varenky is a bad person but I also often think that he/she could post stuff a lot different and also maybe show some more respect to the dev´s and game itself.

EDT: Well ninja´d from the man himself... :P

4 minutes ago, koschilein said:

I´m not one to choose sides but I totally get why Irontaxi posted what he did, varenky´s posts are often  kind of mean for the dev´s and other people on the forum itself.

I am one of the guy´s who has been here from the get got and there are some black sheep on this forum.

Not saying that varenky is a bad person but I also often think that he/she could post stuff a lot different and also maybe show some more respect to the dev´s and game itself.

EDT: Well ninja´d from the man himself... :P

Frankly.. and this is why I am posting tonight.. If a higher level of respect isn't shown.. some people will have to find a new home.. that's the way it is. I don't come out often.. but when I do.. 

26 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

pay me the respect then of taking two seconds to take a step back and see what these forums have degraded into. a serious deep look. 

When the devs that I bust my ass for everyday won't even venture on these forums anymore due to the ridiculous threads..  we have a problem. 

Well at least you pointed out to us why dev engagement has completely vanished over the past months.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for what's happened to this forum. I frequent it less and less myself. But that's because I come here to communicate with the dev team. And you are the only one who is even trying anymore. No, I don't always agree with @VarenykySupreme, but the way you addressed it kind of violates a very important bond between consumer and producer. Ignore him? Fine. But don't tell us that you do! Quite possibly the most vocal player in terms of direct feedback just got blatantly defaced for doing exactly that! Sure maybe the details he refers to are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but that opened up the possibility in my mind that I am ignored too! A question I have never once pondered since I joined this forum 18 months ago. 

Just consider the implications for your biggest supporters, and you're going to see that even if some agree, you have broken a trust that always stood unquestionably.

Edited by NotBrad
Improved format

24 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

It's your fantasy. He just said this animation looks awkward and it does, than he described why because he was asked.

He wasn't asked, he came up with this by himself. I replied with why I don't share his opinion.

The only bitching person is you, bitching about feedback comment about monthly recap written in montly recap thread. 

That wasn't feedback, that was whining and smartassery on a very low level, as usual. Sad to see what is considered feedback by some.

There were no whining intil you came and started talking about childish attitude.

Technically, he started it. Read his first reply again.

I find this animation awkward too, so what? Something wrong with my mental capabilities too?

If you're as delusional and nitpicky as Varenky, and calling everyone who disagrees with him a fanboy, then yes.

You just have allowed fanboys to insult community members because you personally dislike them.

No, Iron just expressed his opinion about the constant harsh and disrespectful critizism of the devs' hard work, that is given by the same people over and over again. You're one of them.

Are you denying him the right to do that? Because he's got it.

I fully understand why the Devs aren't visiting this forum too often anymore, it really has become cancerous in many parts of it.

10 minutes ago, carmikaze said:

No, Iron just expressed his opinion about the constant harsh and disrespectful critizism of the devs' hard work, that is given by the same people over and over again. You're one of them. Are you denying him the right to do that? Because he's got it.

You really are just as part of the problem as anyone else. I'm not saying in a gerneral way either.

you respond to what you label as being childish with your own childish remarks, quite hypocritical isn't it? If you don't share their opinions fine, state it and any relevant facts you think might carry your point across to an unenlightened third party who is just lurking, but leave the rhetorics and asshattery out of it.

This community has grown cancerous because of assumptions based on past miracles, they might surprise you and me every now and then with great news and releases, but we need to remember that internal blockers dictate development. We can complain about missed deadlines but that won't get us the features sooner, and attacking each other because we have nothing better to do isn't the solution we need.

"Now, to me it appears that (even in semi-auto) the PPSh has too much recoil. C'mon guys, it's an 8-9lb pistol-caliber weapon with a front-heavy front end due to a heatshield made with steel thicker than your average car bumper (not joking). In full auto I understand because it's got such a high fire rate, but in semi-auto that thing shouldn't be moving all that much. Also, I think the reload animation is way overdone. Seems to me that you guys were going for something a bit more tacticool, but it ends up coming across as disingenuous, fake, and awkward. I love that you guys properly did the Soviet-style of AK reloading and I really wish you would've done the same with the PPSh. One last interesting note: You might already know, but due to the PPSh's directly upward ejection and high fire rate, the weapon can actually fire off a full magazine before the first shell even hits the ground. I think that'd be an awesome little sound and visual trick to find it's way into the game eventually."

This is from Varenyky's first post in this thread, the most negative part of his comment. Is it harsh and disrespectful.

No, Varenyky is just the guy who wants to hear from Lead Game Designer something beside "Not milsim, balance beats realism", that is why he is blamed for disrespect.

Even when he tries to be as polite and respectful as possible it means nothing because he is stigmatized due his previous posts by community and ignored by devs.

7 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

You really are just as part of the problem as anyone else. I'm not saying in a gerneral way either.

you respond to what you label as being childish with your own childish remarks, quite hypocritical isn't it? If you don't share their opinions fine, state it and any relevant facts you think might carry your point across to an unenlightened third party who is just lurking, but leave the rhetorics and asshattery out of it.

This community has grown cancerous because of assumptions based on past miracles, they might surprise you and me every now and then with great news and releases, but we need to remember that internal blockers dictate development. We can complain about missed deadlines but that won't get us the features sooner, and attacking each other because we have nothing better to do isn't the solution we need.

OK so just think as being IronTaxi or any dev for a bit. Whatever you do as a job, think that you always do your best and you have deadlines, and then you are finished with whatever work you do and are proud of it. Then there are these few guy´s who always come at you and say "this is wrong and that is wrong, it should be this way and that way" and you worked on it for days/weeks/moths.

Saying that something may be wrong is OK but always going on about it and in a manner that really is not that respectful is just a no go in my opinion.

I am an emotional guy and if someone would always say that the work I do is wrong even though I thought I did a good job and did my best that will always be stuck in my head and I won´t just forget it.

People also have to remember that we have a community around the globe and every country/culture has it´s little own way of communicating and saying something. I always though that American´s were quit rude at first, but the just talk different then we Germans do in English.

One always has to remember that we are all people and we are all different, we have to take care of each other.

@ZiGreen gets it. I think I am probably in the same boat as @VarenykySupreme at this point simply because I defend his right to criticize a product he purchased in the context of giving feedback to improve it for him. You know how I can tell? @carmikaze gets a cool title granted by either devs or moderators and @koschilein does not with more than double the postcount. koshilein registered two days before too. What does that mean? Maybe a lot, maybe nothing. You deserve to decide for yourself.

13 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

@ZiGreen gets it. I think I am probably in the same boat as @VarenykySupreme at this point simply because I defend his right to criticize a product he purchased in the context of giving feedback to improve it for him. You know how I can tell? @carmikaze gets a cool title granted by either devs or moderators and @koschilein does not with more than double the postcount. koshilein registered two days before too. What does that mean? Maybe a lot, maybe nothing. You deserve to decide for yourself.

I really don´t get this post, @carmikazeand me are the same person or what is it that you are implying?

If you think that I just post here to up my post count you should maybe read some more of my posts I did in the past, I try to help new people to get the info they need and the support they need if something went wrong and I also post a lot of stuff here because I really like this forum. I also sometimes just answer shortly and maybe some posts are senseless but I am just enjoying my time here reading stuff and replying. There are a lot of people I highly respect on this forum and normally I am not even the guy that uses them at all.

Maybe I am a fanboy but I would never post such negative feedback in a forum to a small independent developer like OWI the way some people do here. Feedback is good, but not if you get in a state that you will not visit the forum anymore because you always see the same persons posting stuff which can really hurt your feelings.

EDT: I do this because I believe in the dev´s the community and the game Squad.

Sometimes it best to voice an opinion and not get drawn into a long heated debate about who is wrong, who is right and all that crap.

If someone says your view is skewered or one sided, just agree to disagree and move on. Healthy debates are fine, where civil feedback and interaction is present, but as per how the internet always functions, it eventually turns into shit flinging. Forum growing pains are generally quite ass, lines and boundaries are tested.

Its fine to criticize devs works as its your right to, as you purchased a product, but don't let that right turn into you voicing your opinion in more aggressive means like its a privilege for everyone to see you voice your opinion . At the end of the day, the Devs know what they want and we have to respect that. 

1 hour ago, ZiGreen said:

This is from Varenyky's first post in this thread, the most negative part of his comment. Is it harsh and disrespectful.

No, Varenyky is just the guy who wants to hear from Lead Game Designer something beside "Not milsim, balance beats realism", that is why he is blamed for disrespect.

Varenky isn't ignored because of that part of the post but because of the previous threads/discussions he was partaking in I can imagine. Between "I don't think they ever shot a rifle" and continuous lashing against developers and other forum-goers for disagreeing with him, I think we probably saw every instance of rude imagineable. I've got a thicker skin that most, but I can see why others stopped bothering themselves with him; and if I read the hint provided by @IRONXBAY correctly, the only reason why he's not yet silenced is that his disrespect in and of itself doesn't break any forum rules.

However that doesn't mean that people can't choose who they wish to reply to and want to have a conversation with.

And, well, maybe the reason stated is the sole reason. If there is only one reason that's the reason you're going to get. Not happy with getting the one and only reason? Too bad because they're not going to conjure another reason when there is none.

Even when he tries to be as polite and respectful as possible it means nothing because he is stigmatized due his previous posts by community and ignored by devs.

Exactly. But that's on him, stigma doesn't come out of nowhere. Nobody here, Devs included, has to reply to him like it's an obligation - the opposite is the case, we are priviliged when receiving replies, their thoughts, their explanations. And being friendly now, after like months upon months of pisspoor attitude doesn't mean he's somehow remedied instantly. I personally think it's quite silly expecting them to reply to him, I never saw him apologize(Doesn't mean he didn't, I just haven't seen it, got that?). That also sticks with people and solidifies his reputation as someone you don't want to talk to. As unfortunate as that is for him, at the end of the day that's how human interactions are like; to reply to him or to ignore him, that's a decision everybody makes for himself depending largely on his(Varenky's) deeds. And it's irrelevant who he's expecting a reply from.

How could it be Ok if we paid you for product and are not allowed to know, will it mesh with our vision or not?

Because video game customers are not entitled to receive the game the way they want it. They will always receive the game the way the developer puts it out on the market. Maybe an analogy helps: If I want to, say, construct my own house, I'll hand over the blueprints to the construction company and they hopefully construct it the way I want it. If not it's within the law for me to sue the company afterwards. A totally different story is when I want to purchase a flat within a multi-story complex. The owner shows me the room, answers a few of my questions and I make a decision based on what I see, hear, the pricing and the reputation of the owner.

As long as Varenky doesn't buy OWI to contract the developers to construct the house he wants it to be, he'll have to stick with a flat. And he will have to live with it should the owner decide to not engage with him in further conversations afterwards.

The customer is king doesn't apply here. Sorry to burst your bubble.