Chuc

June 2016 Monthly Recap

Just now, VarenykySupreme said:

Shit, I forgot about the bolt release not working that way. That being said, I can't honestly think of any other way to reload it that wouldn't end in a similar way with a magical bolt release. Maybe dumping the entire magazine and using an entire clip?

Manually pulling up the bolt release with your fingers. It is long, dangerous and stupid. Or you can try to load mag from bottom with rounds, but in that case you need to control placement of the upper round. None of these methods are combat appropriated.

Just now, Gorzu said:

It looks to me like they did for balance with the other weapons and for convenience reasons for the player. So i would be surprised if this isnt the final decision.

So they made accurized semi-auto version of AK with 10 round mag with SKS appearance? I don't want to believe.

@ZiGreenand @VarenykySupremesadly, this IS one of those compromises that you'll have to live with. A weapon with 10-rounds, and looking at it, has only 6 stripper clips, will be utterly useless if you had to expand EVERY round before you can reload.

Would you blast away all your 4 rounds if you knew that you might have to prepare for confrontation that requires a full magazine capacity?

I mean, this isn't like the M1 Garand where you can pull the entire stripper clip out and shove a new one in if you are lucky not to make it into the "Grind Thumb"...

Just now, Blackout330 said:

@ZiGreenand @VarenykySupremesadly, this IS one of those compromises that you'll have to live with. A weapon with 10-rounds, and looking at it, has only 6 stripper clips, will be utterly useless if you had to expand EVERY round before you can reload.

Would you blast away all your 4 rounds if you knew that you might have to prepare for confrontation that requires a full magazine capacity?

I mean, this isn't like the M1 Garand where you can pull the entire stripper clip out and shove a new one in if you are lucky not to make it into the "Grind Thumb"...

That is why SKS is so unpopular among modern irregular militants.

Btw, correct me if I am wrong, but PR has SKS done right. You can't reload it until your mag is empty.

I hope not. Not being able to reload mid-way might be cumbersome, but if a rifle behaves that way, why not disable the reload? Don't give me the excuse of accessibility guys, in CoD 1 and 2 you couldn't reload the M1 Garand, it didn't make the game any harder, it's just something that you realize mid-playing and gave a new level of depth to it.

Why Devs? QQ

Regarding PR's SKS, I'm not sure ZiGreen. Militia maps aren't played that often and even then I mostly end up with either Mosin(HAT) or AK. I know it's possible to prevent mid-clip reloads, they've done it to the M1 Garand because Refractor cannot into 2 different reload animations.

Just now, Frontliner said:

Regarding PR's SKS, I'm not sure ZiGreen. Militia maps aren't played that often and even then I mostly end up with either Mosin(HAT) or AK. I know it's possible to prevent mid-clip reloads, they've done it to the M1 Garand.

SKS in PR done right. There were even some reports about midclip reloading bug, but devs said it's intended.

Wonder if the old ww2 bolt rifles would make into the bad guys team ? Or some more old guns :-)

On July 3, 2016 at 0:36 AM, LMR Sahara said:

VqyyJbW.png

Is that a lowered weapon I see? Hopefully it's not just cinematic.

2 hours ago, Catindabox said:

Is that a lowered weapon I see? Hopefully it's not just cinematic.

Cinematic. Look at the hands of the second one using the M110

On July 3, 2016 at 6:32 AM, YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife said:

I just noticed the ASTONISHING attention to detail on the US 

Could those be Epipens on a medic class?

Nope. Chemlights

On July 3, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Karm said:

6 HE, 2 smoke white, 2 smoke red, 2 smoke blue = 12?

Those are all HE...

15 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

What I find inauthentic about the reload is that the magazine is taken out, a new one is grabbed, then with the magazine still in had the PC hits the charging handle with his hand. Can you honestly say you believe anyone ever has or ever would reload the PPSh like that?

Yes, an untrained militia soldier or insurgent? Where the f*** is the problem?

15 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

That's about as feasible as the Iraqi reload. I understand the idea of purposefully slow reloads, but that's not just slow, it's cumbersome beyond belief. I don't know exactly how it was done in Soviet times, but I'm sure it's similar to the AK with a few changes that are specific to the weapon: flip down the magazine release (since it flips up to avoid being knocked out of place), remove the magazine, place a new magazine in the gun, flip the magazine release base up with your thumb, then use your right hand to pull the charging handle back. This would fall in line with the way AKs are currently reloads and, in my opinion, with reality. Maybe a Russian here knows about the proper PPSh reload technique, but right now it reminds me of something some unqualified dunce like Chris Costa would do in his pretend-time "I was totally an operator in the Coast Guard" 'training' videos. 

The reloading in the video makes sense for an untrained shooter who didn't get an A+ grade by stalin himself for using a "proper PPSH reload technique".

Honestly, I'm happy for the updates.  I don't understand why some of you are being so nit-picky.  This isn't a combat simulator, it's a tactical FPS.  I appreciate the fact that they are always giving us something to chew on, unlike EA/DICE, and other AAA studios.

11 hours ago, Blackout330 said:

It's really not a compromise we have to live with. How about what firearms: source did where you open the magazine and let the bullets drop out? I also don't think that just locking out reloads until empty is a bad decision, either, as it forces people to be smart with their shots and to count them. Ultimately, it would also force people out of close-range engagements with the SKS, which means the weapons would require a more support role than frontline role. 

Garand thumb is bullshit. You only get it if you're stupid. 

11 hours ago, ZiGreen said:

That is why SKS is so unpopular among modern irregular militants.

This. 

1 hour ago, carmikaze said:

Yes, an untrained militia soldier or insurgent? Where the f*** is the problem?

The reloading in the video makes sense for an untrained shooter who didn't get an A+ grade by stalin himself for using a "proper PPSH reload technique".

Yeah, an untrained militia soldier sure is likely to reload like that, right? What's with the hostility? Use your words without acting like a child. 

No, it doesn't make sense for an untrained shooter, it makes sense for nothing other than visual appeal to those who've never tried reloading a PPSh before. To me, this reminds me heavily of the flare of the reload from Payday: The Heist's AK:

It's nothing more than flash to increase the length of time that the reload takes. I'm fine with long reloads (reloads take time in reality because vest pouches don't open themselves) but nobody would pick up a PPSh and reload it like this regardless of how poor their training is or even in the event that they've not been trained at all. You're also making the assumption that these people are untrained shooters? Militia has realistic ties to the Novorossiyans in Ukraine as well as the Chechens and other militiant Eastern European factions; many of these people are dedicated terrorists or former military (like Givi and Motorola in the DPR) so they've got training. If this goes to the Militia, then that makes even less sense because they're tied to real life Islamic Militant groups that have been fighting since the 1980s. Saying they're inexperienced shooters makes about as much sense as saying that ISIS is inexperienced at beheading people: even if they were, proficiency can be gained quickly. 

On 7/4/2016 at 9:43 AM, VarenykySupreme said:

I think it would probably look a lot better if it were less opaque

Agree mate - already in discussion.

22 hours ago, Romby said:

I have a couple of question for Logistics.

In V7 will we need to have a logistic Truck around to set up FOB or do we only need it for Ammo/Build Points generation? How about the future after V7 if not included in V7? Will people spawning consume points from FOB?

Think there will be lots of whine if this get added (btw i think it should be added). People really like their 3 people Ninja FOBs. But it is needed and players needs to get used to it. Right now I think the game somtimes turn into WW1 tactics. Both team place FOBs near Flags and try to drown the enemy in bodies. Every killed player can be back in fight 40 sek later. It is a constant fight until one team overwelms the other with more bodies. But every time a FOB goes down a new one can be made instantly (You only need a SL and one guy to make a new when using RP).

Having teams forced to use logistics trucks for FOBs would place them further from action. Who wants to risk the truck moving to close to enemy. When players need to run futher and there is fewer Fobs (because of limited trucks) action will be slowed down. Think this will really help game.

Agree 100%! Let´s all help the future whiners understand that this feature was meant to be in the game all along, and that it will make the game highly more dynamic as the game grows.

I can´t wait for helicopters with logistic crates!

2 hours ago, Ostninjan said:

Agree 100%! Let´s all help the future whiners understand that this feature was meant to be in the game all along, and that it will make the game highly more dynamic as the game grows.

I can´t wait for helicopters with logistic crates!

I agree too, anyone who thinks the game was always going to play like this until full release has been misled somehow. The game has always been aiming for the PR type gameplay but way better. I personally can't wait for vehicles and the logistics side of things as it adds much more gameplay and tactical elements in each match. 

SKS rifle is still in use today. So its not outdated and unrealistic but pretty realistic. And I guess that we will see this rifle even more if in Europe fire up civil war  (chuckle) 

9 minutes ago, elerik said:

SKS rifle is still in use today. So its not outdated and unrealistic but pretty realistic. And I guess that we will see this rifle even more if in Europe fire up civil war  (chuckle) 

Okay, but it would be much more popular if it would be possible to reload SKS with several rounds left in the mag. Unfortunately, it is impossible to reload SKS the way it is demonstrated in recent recap.

23 minutes ago, elerik said:

The SKS is still in use today? Would you mind telling me what nation uses it and what they use it as? The only nation I can think of that still uses it is Russia, but they only use it as a ceremonial rifle (in the same way that the United States uses original M14s). As for the assertion that it's not outdated: well that's simply not true. Just because something is still in use doesn't mean it's not outdated. The Philippine's still uses the M3 Grease Gun in widespread service, so is the Grease Gun still a modern firearm? Firearms become outdated quickly when they're not upgraded every five or ten years; I'd go as far as to say that the current issue M4 rifle is outdated when compared to the technology available, which means that the SKS is about as useful as a Mosin Nagant (sometimes even less so) in a modern day conflict in my opinion. 

As for realism: realism isn't the category you're looking for, but rather authenticity. The SKS is realistic in that it's a weapon that exists, but it's currently unrealistic because you can reload the weapon with a stripper clip even when there are bullets in the magazine, which means that the bolt cannot lock back to provide for stripper clip loading. The weapon would be authentic if any military used it as a combat rifle, or even an insurgent group. That being said, I really haven't seen many of them in use since the Yugoslav Wars in the 90s and early 2000s. They weren't widespread in either Iraq or Afghanistan, and I've yet to see one of them pop up in Ukraine, which is amazing because so far in Ukraine I've seen: PTRSs, PTRDs, PPS-43s, many Type II and III AKs, and even a handful of original AKS-74s with 45 degree gas blocks. Hell, I've even heard rumors that there's a photo of a rebel with an LR-300 somewhere out there, but I can't confirm that one. 

38 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

Okay, but it would be much more popular if it would be possible to reload SKS with several rounds left in the mag. Unfortunately, it is impossible to reload SKS the way it is demonstrated in recent recap.

Single round reloads? Why not? If you shot say 3 rounds why not have 3 rounds removed from the stripper clip and the partial clip returned to its pouch. In the video he loaded 4 rounds from 4 rounds fired out of a 9 round stripper clip anyway (10?). Either that or have a second animation for single round reloads with the assumption those rounds are removed from your last stripper clip first. You could end up with multiple partial clips if you're a frequent reloader so if you empty your mag your might have to perform multiple reloads to refill it totally. Quite a nice way to go I think but knock it down if it's not in any way realistic.

Edit:

Just read the no bolt locking with rounds in the mag. Looks like single round reloads should be out for the sake of realism unless there is a proper way to do it. Please enlighten us.

Edited by Major Trouble

1 hour ago, Major Trouble said:

Single round reloads? Why not? If you shot say 3 rounds why not have 3 rounds removed from the stripper clip and the partial clip returned to its pouch. In the video he loaded 4 rounds from 4 rounds fired out of a 9 round stripper clip anyway (10?). Either that or have a second animation for single round reloads with the assumption those rounds are removed from your last stripper clip first. You could end up with multiple partial clips if you're a frequent reloader so if you empty your mag your might have to perform multiple reloads to refill it totally. Quite a nice way to go I think but knock it down if it's not in any way realistic.

Edit:

Just read the no bolt locking with rounds in the mag. Looks like single round reloads should be out for the sake of realism unless there is a proper way to do it. Please enlighten us.

There are several ways to "top off" SKS with single rounds, but all of them are dangerous, cumbersome and time consuming. For example, you can hold a carbine with one hand, pull the bolt to the rear end with second hand. Here you need a third hand to push down the loaded round and load a single rounds one at time. Or you can turn the carbine upside down, open the mag and add an even number of rounds, because if you add an odd number of rounds you'll get a jam. Anyway, you can't top off the mag with clips, only single rounds, because the front part of bolt assembly fixes clip when SKS is being reloaded properly, but there would be misalignment between bolt assembly and magazine, because bolt is pulled back further than being stopped by bolt catch.

If you need to reload, you can just open the mag to dump all rounds left in mag, eject the chambered round and load the new stripper. You'll lose your ammo and this way is still longer than reloading of empty carbine, but still better than methods listed above.

The only appropriate way is to shoot all rounds in mag and just load a new clip. This is actually how SKS done in Project Reality. But PR devs adapted this feature to gameplay: SKS is the weapon of Militia medic, so he has a gun with decent ballistics and ammo capacity, which is powerful enough to act as self-defense weapon, but inability to quickly reload SKS forces medics to avoid serious firefights.