Chuc

June 2016 Monthly Recap

Alright, looks like it's that time of the month again!

First of all, I'm glad to hear about the disparity in vehicles; it was really, really weird in PR to see HMMWVs and tanks zipping around at the same speed as technicals and motorcycles, not to mention seeing HMMWVs and technicals taking the same amount of damage before exploding. The system seems implemented well, but the HMMWV appears to accelerate a bit too fast (at least to me, but I've got no experience with HMMWVs, so I'll have to contact a friend who owns a few and see what he thinks). I'm going to assume that the sounds are a work in progress, unless somehow I've glossed over the fact that the HMMWV only has a single gear in real life lol.

The new radial menu isn't what I expected, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I think it would probably look a lot better if it were less opaque, but we'll see in time. For now, it gets the job done a whole hell of a lot better than the old one did, and that's what really matters.

The new US uniforms are really, really well done. I'm stoked to see that they're finally going to make an appearance in game. The Multicam is really well done, especially for a Multicam pattern that isn't a direct rip of OCP or Crye. Put it this way: I've seen much higher-budget titles with much worse uniforms. The varied kit is done extremely well, especially the LAT kit with the LAW just strapped onto the backpack. I had my doubts when they were untextured, especially about the chest rig, but I'm glad to see that they were unfounded. There are three things that I -personally- think could be done to improve the models:

1. Maybe some differences in eyepro? Even if they're all the same M-Frames, you could at least throw in a few sets of clear or orange tinted glasses rather than having all of them be that stark black. Hell, some of them could have no glasses at all.
  2. Maybe some hearing protection? They all seem to care quite a bit about eye protection, but not their ears? :P
  3. Much like the Russian faces, some of the faces here look rather... weird. Here's what I'm talking about:

usarmy6.jpg

That agape mouth rally just looks out of place. Could it possibly just be mouth movement? If so, that's fine, but if his mouth is constantly hanging open like that it'd be pretty weird. I know there are some real mouth-breathers in the Army, but God damn!

I'm really glad to see mortars making their way into the game this early. They were one of the best weapons in PR and were a total game changers when used properly. A good mortar squad could single-handedly keep an enemy push at bay for long periods of time. Based on the wording I've got high hopes that these mortars will be just as scary as they were in PR. Awesome job.

Another thing I'm really glad about: The DShKM doesn't have a chicken plate. Chicken plates made it damn near impossible to kill Technical gunners in PR, so I'm glad they'll now be out in the open and easier to hit, even if it also gives gunners the advantages of much better vision. 

The M110 SASS looks really nice, and though there's no Leupold in the game yet I can't wait to use it! Only two things missing that I can see: a rear sight, and drilled out holes in the bolt. That thing's going to explode!  Negative nitpicking aside, I noticed you guys also seem to have properly modeled the built in folding front sight post, and bravo to you guys about that. Most developers would easily miss something that small and hidden. One last thing: I'm chuckling a bit at the idea of trying to get eye relief with that ACOG placement.

Now, to me it appears that (even in semi-auto) the PPSh has too much recoil. C'mon guys, it's an 8-9lb pistol-caliber weapon with a front-heavy front end due to a heatshield made with steel thicker than your average car bumper (not joking). In full auto I understand because it's got such a high fire rate, but in semi-auto that thing shouldn't be moving all that much. Also, I think the reload animation is way overdone. Seems to me that you guys were going for something a bit more tacticool, but it ends up coming across as disingenuous, fake, and awkward. I love that you guys properly did the Soviet-style of AK reloading and I really wish you would've done the same with the PPSh. One last interesting note: You might already know, but due to the PPSh's directly upward ejection and high fire rate, the weapon can actually fire off a full magazine before the first shell even hits the ground. I think that'd be an awesome little sound and visual trick to find it's way into the game eventually.

The SKS is, well, an SKS. I like the reload and the use of stripper clips regardless of how full the weapon is (hand-loading SKSs sucks, though really I think doing anything with an SKS sucks!) Good model overall, and though it wouldn't have been my choice, it's still an interesting weapon regardless of authenticity and real-world usage. 

The apartments are what I'm most excited for. Once again: props to you guys. The variety in these establishments and is going to make for an incredibly fun, fast-paced experience when it comes to firefights both inside and outside of the building. I'd be more than pleased if these things (both the commie blocks and otherwise) became the new T-buildings.

Yehorivka appears to be going well. It'll definitely breathe a breath of fresh air into the game once it's finished. Gorodok's new visual improvements are stunning, especially the skybox. I like the new objective areas as well. Sumari Bala's props are probably my favorite thing when it comes to mapping, though, because it turns a barren map into something that looks lived in and recently-abandoned. No longer is it a map with no cover inside or outside, which means that the map will go from "do I move and risk getting shot?" to "I'll take the long way around that's full of cover). Once again, can't wait.

Looks like a stellar recap. Probably the first time in a long time that I've been thoroughly excited for a Squad update. 

36 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

The Multicam is really well done, especially for a Multicam pattern that isn't a direct rip of OCP or Crye.

What do you mean by that?

3 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

I'm really glad to see mortars making their way into the game this early. They were one of the best weapons in PR and were a total game changers when used properly. A good mortar squad could single-handedly keep an enemy push at bay for long periods of time. Based on the wording I've got high hopes that these mortars will be just as scary as they were in PR. Awesome job.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think mortars are really cool and certainly have their place in the battlefield, but PR's mortars were too easy to crew and maintain (supply), and devastating to defenders, which changed the defence meta quite a lot. If they are sufficiently hard to supply and hard to use, I think a good balance can be struck, however if they get thrown in with supplies and limitations as an afterthought, I feel like they will hurt gameplay in the long run.

Wow, mostly positive feedback from Varenyky. BTW, what do you think is inauthentic about the ppsh reload? I'm curious.

3 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think mortars are really cool and certainly have their place in the battlefield, but PR's mortars were too easy to crew and maintain (supply), and devastating to defenders, which changed the defence meta quite a lot. If they are sufficiently hard to supply and hard to use, I think a good balance can be struck, however if they get thrown in with supplies and limitations as an afterthought, I feel like they will hurt gameplay in the long run.

I believe the devs learned a lot from their experiences with PR. I'm gonna bet they know how to implement it perfectly 

6 hours ago, carmikaze said:

What do you mean by that?

What I mean is that it's not Crye Multicam and it's not Scorpion W2. It looks very, very good. It's a Multicam variant all it's own. 

4 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Personally I liked the fact that they were easy to crew and maintain because, if they weren't then they wouldn't be very realistic. If you're near a cache or anything of the like, then it'll be easy to get ammo. It's only hard if you decide to build it out in the middle of nowhere, where it's hard to supply the gun. Mortarmen are also trained to do their job very well, so it shouldn't be hard to crew a gun, though it should be realistically hard to aim, fire, and hit a target dead on. 

The "meta" for defense changed in real life when they were invented as well. Warfare changes and you have to adapt; that is that. If you've got mortars, then you've got a significant advantage over those who don't as well as those who don't have the luxury of fortified cover. People in real life didn't like it when mortars were invented, either, but they learned how to use and live with them because they were and still are necessary. 

I don't think mortars should be hard to supply so long as you don't make them hard to supply. If they're near a supply point, then why would they be hard to supply? I don't get the thinking behind that. 

3 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Wow, mostly positive feedback from Varenyky. BTW, what do you think is inauthentic about the ppsh reload? I'm curious.

I give credit where credit is due, and this is the first update in a long time where I can honestly applaud almost every aspect of the team. What I find inauthentic about the reload is that the magazine is taken out, a new one is grabbed, then with the magazine still in had the PC hits the charging handle with his hand. Can you honestly say you believe anyone ever has or ever would reload the PPSh like that? That's about as feasible as the Iraqi reload. I understand the idea of purposefully slow reloads, but that's not just slow, it's cumbersome beyond belief. I don't know exactly how it was done in Soviet times, but I'm sure it's similar to the AK with a few changes that are specific to the weapon: flip down the magazine release (since it flips up to avoid being knocked out of place), remove the magazine, place a new magazine in the gun, flip the magazine release base up with your thumb, then use your right hand to pull the charging handle back. This would fall in line with the way AKs are currently reloads and, in my opinion, with reality. Maybe a Russian here knows about the proper PPSh reload technique, but right now it reminds me of something some unqualified dunce like Chris Costa would do in his pretend-time "I was totally an operator in the Coast Guard" 'training' videos. 

I have a couple of question for Logistics.

In V7 will we need to have a logistic Truck around to set up FOB or do we only need it for Ammo/Build Points generation? How about the future after V7 if not included in V7? Will people spawning consume points from FOB?

Think there will be lots of whine if this get added (btw i think it should be added). People really like their 3 people Ninja FOBs. But it is needed and players needs to get used to it. Right now I think the game somtimes turn into WW1 tactics. Both team place FOBs near Flags and try to drown the enemy in bodies. Every killed player can be back in fight 40 sek later. It is a constant fight until one team overwelms the other with more bodies. But every time a FOB goes down a new one can be made instantly (You only need a SL and one guy to make a new when using RP).

Having teams forced to use logistics trucks for FOBs would place them further from action. Who wants to risk the truck moving to close to enemy. When players need to run futher and there is fewer Fobs (because of limited trucks) action will be slowed down. Think this will really help game.

2 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

I give credit where credit is due, and this is the first update in a long time where I can honestly applaud almost every aspect of the team. What I find inauthentic about the reload is that the magazine is taken out, a new one is grabbed, then with the magazine still in had the PC hits the charging handle with his hand. Can you honestly say you believe anyone ever has or ever would reload the PPSh like that? That's about as feasible as the Iraqi reload. I understand the idea of purposefully slow reloads, but that's not just slow, it's cumbersome beyond belief. I don't know exactly how it was done in Soviet times, but I'm sure it's similar to the AK with a few changes that are specific to the weapon: flip down the magazine release (since it flips up to avoid being knocked out of place), remove the magazine, place a new magazine in the gun, flip the magazine release base up with your thumb, then use your right hand to pull the charging handle back. This would fall in line with the way AKs are currently reloads and, in my opinion, with reality. Maybe a Russian here knows about the proper PPSh reload technique, but right now it reminds me of something some unqualified dunce like Chris Costa would do in his pretend-time "I was totally an operator in the Coast Guard" 'training' videos. 

It is the american reloading style: "WTF NO BOLT CATCH?!"

2 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

What I find inauthentic about the reload is that the magazine is taken out, a new one is grabbed, then with the magazine still in had the PC hits the charging handle with his hand. Can you honestly say you believe anyone ever has or ever would reload the PPSh like that? That's about as feasible as the Iraqi reload. I understand the idea of purposefully slow reloads, but that's not just slow, it's cumbersome beyond belief. I don't know exactly how it was done in Soviet times, but I'm sure it's similar to the AK with a few changes that are specific to the weapon: flip down the magazine release (since it flips up to avoid being knocked out of place), remove the magazine, place a new magazine in the gun, flip the magazine release base up with your thumb, then use your right hand to pull the charging handle back. This would fall in line with the way AKs are currently reloads and, in my opinion, with reality. Maybe a Russian here knows about the proper PPSh reload technique, but right now it reminds me of something some unqualified dunce like Chris Costa would do in his pretend-time "I was totally an operator in the Coast Guard" 'training' videos. 

Problem is, the guys using them aren't trained the same way when it comes to reloading.

Personally I like how the guy struggles with the PPSh-41, it makes me think of a newbie to the field that hasn't mastered it and has to fight in order to shove it in. Either that or the  PPSh-41 is just a bitch to handle. But really though, KaB and Chuc really did one helluva job.

Just now, Blackout330 said:

Problem is, the guys using them aren't trained the same way when it comes to reloading.

Personally I like how the guy struggles with the PPSh-41, it makes me think of a newbie to the field that hasn't mastered it and has to fight in order to shove it in. Either that or the  PPSh-41 is just a bitch to handle. But really though, KaB and Chuc really did one helluva job.

PPSh is bitch when it comes to the placing of new mag. I wonder how will reloading look with drum mag, lol.

26 minutes ago, Blackout330 said:

While it might not be exactly the same, you have to realize that no Russian soldier ever taught the Afghanis and Iraqis how to reload AKs and they still ended up pretty damn close in style. The American way of thinking is completely different, which is why we ended up going under the gun the cock the charging handle and not obscure the view and using the magazine to knock out the existing one so as not to waste a movement placing an empty magazine back inside of a chest rig. 

The PPSh is a bitch to handle because the design is wholly stupid, but the going over the top with magazine in hand to cock the charging handle just strikes me as odd. I don't think they did a bad job because the animations looks beautiful, but being beauty can be awkward, and that's what this is. 

15 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

PPSh is bitch when it comes to the placing of new mag. I wonder how will reloading look with drum mag, lol.

Hopefully they never add the drum mag. Piece of shit never worked anyway. 

Great work devs! I am pleased with every bit of that and it looks great. Y'all have been tedious at work! I do hope that you are all still working on making it so that people stumble or react to being shot. As it is now, there is NO bullet hit reaction and we can continue to sprint after being shot like nothing even happened. Not even stamina is lost. :( certainly this isn't a hard thing to implement and has been discussions before. One of the devs mentioned that you all were waiting on a new animation system  ? Is that still the case? 

8 minutes ago, Pvt. Lewis said:

Great work devs! I am pleased with every bit of that and it looks great. Y'all have been tedious at work! I do hope that you are all still working on making it so that people stumble or react to being shot. As it is now, there is NO bullet hit reaction and we can continue to sprint after being shot like nothing even happened. Not even stamina is lost. :( certainly this isn't a hard thing to implement and has been discussions before. One of the devs mentioned that you all were waiting on a new animation system  ? Is that still the case? 

Yes I hope too that somekind of penalty for being shot is coming. Also waiting for more of suppression effect. It is still so little and it is easy to keep your head up when bullets are swinging by.

27 minutes ago, [FSQ] R4PA said:

Yes I hope too that somekind of penalty for being shot is coming. Also waiting for more of suppression effect. It is still so little and it is easy to keep your head up when bullets are swinging by.

Welcome to forums, buddy :)

Suppression will get second pass some time after vehicles. Devs are not happy with suppression either (not working the way they intended). How it will be addressed? We shall see...

Source: reddit response

Okay, I've finished watching PPSh&SKS video... PPSh reloading looks a little bit awkward, but I don't really care. The problem is it is IMPOSSIBLE to reload SKS this way. Bolt catch won't work if mag isn't empty. Of course, you can pull it up manually (please, don't try it at home), but it looks like SKS operator use Force to keep bolt at rear end.

The PPSh&SKS looks nice! But the new US Army units looks very very nice! I can't wait to see it in game :x:D

2 hours ago, Blackout330 said:

Sounds plausible. The G3 in PR has different reload animations depending on who is reloading it, Germans and MEC do it the "proper way" whereas Talis and Ins do it the way you'd reload an AK.

13 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

Okay, I've finished watching PPSh&SKS video... PPSh reloading looks a little bit awkward, but I don't really care. The problem is it is IMPOSSIBLE to reload SKS this way. Bolt catch won't work if mag isn't empty. Of course, you can pull it up manually (please, don't try it at home), but it looks like SKS operator use Force to keep bolt at rear end.

The devs have already said (on reddit i think) that they have simplified the SKS reload on purpose.

Edit: From Chuc on twitter " We just simplified the action so doing it realistically wouldn't take an absurdly long amount of time. "

Just now, Gorzu said:

This devs have already said (on reddit i think) that they have simplified the SKS reload on purpose.

Oh, I was afraid I would be "that guy" again. Is it a temporary solution?

I mean, there is no point in creating separated realistic animation of SKS "tactical" reloading in my opinion, hope they will remove this ability in future.

6 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

Oh, I was afraid I would be "that guy" again. Is it a temporary solution?

Shit, I forgot about the bolt release not working that way. That being said, I can't honestly think of any other way to reload it that wouldn't end in a similar way with a magical bolt release. Maybe dumping the entire magazine and using an entire clip?

1 minute ago, ZiGreen said:

Oh, I was afraid I would be "that guy" again. Is it a temporary decision?

It looks to me like they did for balance with the other weapons and for convenience reasons for the player. So i would be surprised if this isnt the final decision.