Chuc

June 2016 Monthly Recap

4 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Why do I wish a month of my life away every time we get a recap of progress?

I know, it's awful. The highlights of my life are now the recaps and the updates. Damn you, devs!! It's cool though because I'm kind of bummed that I didn't see how PR evolved over its 10 year history since I joined around 0.9. Glad I got into Squad early on so I can see how it grows.

YAY. Much goodness, very wow, so beauty. :D

So fucking MAD for those apartment blocks, like... that will straight up change the game after vehicles straight up turn it into a new game full stop.

Very well done lads.

1 minute ago, Jahesd said:

Those animations, damn they are smoooooth <3

hnng1xgqgr.jpg

Its KaB. He's the man.

Great update! Lots to look forward to, all of it looking great. 

Love the radial menu system. Not sure what the coulours mean from a UX perspective. One of the simplest systems is the traffic light metaphor or GYR, where:

Green = available

Yellow = conditionally unavailable (eg ammo points not accumulated)

Red = not available (eg too many of that kit type already in use)

frequently augmented with:

Grey = disabled (eg not enough members in the squad to activate)

Also need to consider interaction states, such as current selection and current interaction. ...and people think UI design is simple hehe. It's a system of visual language that is much more difficult than it looks. It's really important to define the rules and stay consistent with them. It can go a long way to resolving "why can't I select the sniper kit?". These same rules as applied to the radial menu must also apply to the squad menus. 

And there is a consideration that a decent percentage of gamers suffer from colour blindness, as many as 10% of your players may have colour blindness. This can be resolved with labelling and/or alternative colour schemes. The approach of labelling also tends to help less experienced players, so taking the colour blindness factor into consideration can assist in making the UI more accessible for less experienced players.

Not everything passes through those states. And you may have other needs. But we've done lots of testing on similar concepts and the simplest to grasp is always the traffic light metaphor. When we do UX design we start with the inventory of states the UI needs to communicate. Those are mapped to visual & interaction indicators, eventually ending up with a style guide.

The UI and visual design on the radial menu looks fantastic and very scalable to accommodate growth, lovely work. Perhaps you've thought through the stuff above, just tossing it out there to see if it might help.

Cheers,

eggman

Wow another amazing job devs! I'm truly in awe with this recap. There's so much content in this recap that I can't take it all in. :D

The only thing that I'm disappointed in is that there was no wip for a US tank of some kind. :P Anyways...A man can dream can he?!? 9_9

I can't wait for V.7 to finally come out so I can be a gunner in a vehicle or even run logistics will be a pleasure. Just to be able to do something else in Squad instead of walking with a Squad will be a blessing.

10 hours ago, Rybec said:

Looks great.

I have a question, did you have to do any retakes because someone """accidently""" shot the humvee?

Are you suggesting that someone intentionally missed the humvee?! ;-)

Yay! No more running simulator 2000! I sure will miss those 11 minute runs to the objectives from spawn haha.

48 minutes ago, Devon said:

usarmy7.jpg

the lasm strapped to the daysack, authentic shit.

That half-squat though :D

Great work devs! 

Out of curiosity, is there any word on the unreal engine multithreading capabilities or animation/sound improvements in regards to AMD performance? 

Sorry for bringing it up, I know it's a tender topic. 

Damn! Looking great!!! That pic on main page... very overwhelming! And Sumari will have another detail pass? Insane!!! Congratz Devs for great work! Can't wait for v7!