Chuc

June 2016 Monthly Recap

Neat update once again, looking forward to how it all develops -- new US models look very good !

Just now, Major Trouble said:

I wonder how many players will now be scrabbling for the rpg/law kit instead of the optics hehe.

Indeed,you know it!. Rocket dudes will rule the roost.

I can't wait to see the first headshot on the Humvee gunner.  (Gawd,Get Some).

@Dundish mate,admit it,you gonna luvit!. :D

3 hours ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

Indeed,you know it!. Rocket dudes will rule the roost.

I can't wait to see the first headshot on the Humvee gunner.  (Gawd,Get Some).

@Dundish mate,admit it,you gonna luvit!. :D

Of course ;)

12 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

ive been starting to integrate more paths and bunkers at vantage points as well to cover the valleys.. should be interesting!

Is this implying--and I think maybe it was alluded to in other posts/videos--that vehicles will have a bit more trouble on anything that's not a road/well-groomed path? I was kind of hoping that would be the case, as opposed to the vehicles in a game like Battlefield, where they can all pretty much traverse any terrain/incline/etc. and larger rocks, for example, really have no impact.

On 8.7.2016. at 7:23 PM, ElHebrewHammer said:

Is this implying--and I think maybe it was alluded to in other posts/videos--that vehicles will have a bit more trouble on anything that's not a road/well-groomed path? I was kind of hoping that would be the case, as opposed to the vehicles in a game like Battlefield, where they can all pretty much traverse any terrain/incline/etc. and larger rocks, for example, really have no impact.

I think Devs are aiming for that feel. In PR, if you do not stick to road, you could easily flip you vehicle or damage it. Just need to give them more time to finish it off. In first few iterations, we are probably gonna see no difference between road, slope, water and so on...

Hi all,

i'm a veteran FPS player (15+ years) and pretty new to the game (40+ hours) and i think its awesome.

I know its alpha but i have few big issues with the game. 

1. Frame rate

I'm running i5 4690k @4.2 ghz and gtx 980 on Win10. I have 200+ fps on firing range, 50-80 fps on forest maps and 20-50 fps on desert maps (which are in majority). I have tried everything to have a constant 80+ fps to the point where game looked like quake 1 graphics, but the frame difference was minimal. I know the game, UE4 engine and DX12 are all still in development, but its not fun to play on 30 fps at all, can't imagine how the guys with the less powerfull rigs are playing. 

2. Lack of customization. 

I'm not talking BF4 customization, more like Insurgency customization, i wanna put holo sight on my M16, and kobra sight on my AK, but they aren't even in the game.

Why can't i have reddot when i'm a squadleader ? Whats with the new SKS and PPSH both WW2 weapons ? Why don't you add more modern weapons and attachments ? I haven't seen anyone using PPSH IRL in the last 40 years. 

3. Adding friends

I absolutely love the community, everyone has been great. It is a bad thing to play with good guys one round and then when the round is over, everyone get dropped from the squad and you have to make new squads again. Also for the game so based on teamwork there isn't any add friend button or anything like that which i think is what this game badly needs. 

4. Jumping

We need a leaping over walls,  i can't seem to jump over smallest obstacles, it's frustrating.

over and out

Edited by eZZzZ

13 minutes ago, eZZzZ said:

I'm not talking BF4 customization, more like Insurgency customization, i wanna put holo sight on my M16, and kobra sight on my AK, but they aren't even in the game.

Why can't i have reddot when i'm a squadleader ? Whats with the new SKS and PPSH both WW2 weapons ? Why don't you add more modern weapons and attachments ? I haven't seen anyone using PPSH IRL in the last 40 years. 

Not that type of game, based on Real life infantry, IIRC the Marines using a M16 and the Russians using an AK rarely ever, if ever, get those optics. 

Are you meaning to tell me that the us army doesn't use Eotech holo sights ? Russian army uses obzor and spetsnaz use Eotech/aimpoint.

Insurgents/Milita use anything they can get their hands on.

Edited by eZZzZ

1 minute ago, eZZzZ said:

Are you meaning to tell me that the us army doesn't use Eotech holo sights ?

Pretty sure they dont at most they use ACOG because equiping everybody with an Eotech is way to expensive and we have to remember the government normally goes for the cheapest contract but im not saying that they dont make huge mistakes and over pay for alot of stuff as well.

48 minutes ago, eZZzZ said:

1. Frame rate

I'm running i5 4690k @4.2 ghz and gtx 980 on Win10. I have 200+ fps on firing range, 50-80 fps on forest maps and 20-50 fps on desert maps (which are in majority). I have tried everything to have a constant 80+ fps to the point where game looked like quake 1 graphics, but the frame difference was minimal. I know the game, UE4 engine and DX12 are all still in development, but its not fun to play on 30 fps at all, can't imagine how the guys with the less powerfull rigs are playing. 

try installing a voodoo 2 graphics card on you computer, then enable quakeGL, I assure you you will have better results :D

V0080428.jpg 

51 minutes ago, eZZzZ said:

Are you meaning to tell me that the us army doesn't use Eotech holo sights ? Russian army uses obzor and spetsnaz use Eotech/aimpoint.

Insurgents/Milita use anything they can get their hands on.

From my understanding, most of the US Army uses an 4x32 ACOG for their M4's (with some using an Aim point here and there). I've heard of some units getting an EOTech every now and then in Iraq, but very little, It really depends on the Unit. When the USMC faction comes in, I believe that the 4x32 ACOG is the standard given optic to all Grunts in the Marine Corps since October 2005 (someone can correct me on that). As for the Russians, IIRC a majority of the Russian Army uses Iron Sights, with Spetsnaz not being represented in the game as that is a Special Forces unit, not basic infantry. To be fair though, a lot of it depends on what units are involved in what type of engagements.

US Army (ACOGs and Aimpoints)

m4-pmags-428x285.jpg

US Marines (ACOGs)

Operation_in_the_Helmund_province_in_Afg

Russian Army (ironsights)

russia-army-3.jpg

Now it's important to remember that a lot of it is dynamic for the environment. For example, during the Initial invasion of Iraq, a lot of guys were running Iron sights on their M16's, however, considering Squad is based on a semi-modern Era (2011 - 2018), things have changed with Optics pretty much being a standard for the most part. 

EDIT: I suggest we should try moving this discussion to a appropriate thread as we're going off topic. 

Edited by LMR Sahara

2 hours ago, eZZzZ said:

Hi all,

i'm a veteran FPS player (15+ years) and pretty new to the game (40+ hours) and i think its awesome.

I know its alpha but i have few big issues with the game. 

1. Frame rate

3. Adding friends

I absolutely love the community, everyone has been great. It is a bad thing to play with good guys one round and then when the round is over, everyone get dropped from the squad and you have to make new squads again. Also for the game so based on teamwork there isn't any add friend button or anything like that which i think is what this game badly needs. 

4. Jumping

We need a leaping over walls,  i can't seem to jump over smallest obstacles, it's frustrating.

over and out

I have a similar system to you.

Let's just put it this way to address all but point #4

I have a similar rig, with resolution scaling at 120%, all settings on EPIC, and I get about 50-60 FPS in a large battle of over 50 players.  If this was a battle with a much smaller BF4 size map, it would be a different story.  The maps are massive, and that is why you aren't getting as good FPS as you think, also because optimization passes need to be done.

Many things are coming in the next few months.  They have mentioned a UI/UX overhaul, more content (vehicles, maps, etc) down the line.

I know it sounds monotonous, but this is not a marketing alpha, it's going to be in Alpha for at least another 10+ months I predict.  Having said that, these guys make shit tons of progress.  Many other Alpha's make this kind of progress over 3-4 years, while these guys have done it in about 6-7 months.

On point 4, I'm sure that's been requested.

Hope this helps.

On 7/11/2016 at 6:26 AM, eZZzZ said:

1. Frame rate

1. I got a Gtx 1080 and an [email protected] I too get 50-90fps on the forest map (fools road), my average fps would be between 40-50fps. Sometimes I get higher, occasionally I'd get 20-40 on some of the newer maps with poor optimisation. Lowering the settings to jack shit for me, even if I drop from Epic 1440p -  Low 720p I barely get a frame boost. 

2. It's not that sort of game, they aren't going to allow free optimisation of your gun. They try to make it as realistically portrayed as they can (specific roles having the intended attachments and rifles). The SKS is actually still used prevalently today by Insurgents and terrorists in Syria and Iraq, the PPSH not so much, but would still be seen with the irregular militia. They are going to implement a lot more weapons. 

12 hours ago, Gottplex said:

:)

goddammit I saw this in the new content feed and thought it was the July Recap :steamsalty:

On 7/10/2016 at 5:30 PM, LMR Sahara said:

From my understanding, most of the US Army uses an 4x32 ACOG for their M4's (with some using an Aim point here and there). I've heard of some units getting an EOTech every now and then in Iraq, but very little, It really depends on the Unit. When the USMC faction comes in, I believe that the 4x32 ACOG is the standard given optic to all Grunts in the Marine Corps since October 2005 (someone can correct me on that). As for the Russians, IIRC a majority of the Russian Army uses Iron Sights, with Spetsnaz not being represented in the game as that is a Special Forces unit, not basic infantry. To be fair though, a lot of it depends on what units are involved in what type of engagements.

US Army (ACOGs and Aimpoints)

m4-pmags-428x285.jpg

US Marines (ACOGs)

Operation_in_the_Helmund_province_in_Afg

Russian Army (ironsights)

russia-army-3.jpg

Now it's important to remember that a lot of it is dynamic for the environment. For example, during the Initial invasion of Iraq, a lot of guys were running Iron sights on their M16's, however, considering Squad is based on a semi-modern Era (2011 - 2018), things have changed with Optics pretty much being a standard for the most part. 

EDIT: I suggest we should try moving this discussion to a appropriate thread as we're going off topic. 

...this is when "Game" and "Fun" comes in. 

love how "Its game so its about Fun" is used when to define one action but than the words "Its mean to be Inc" is used for when something is not fun...

i see no issue have some standard Optics like Red Dot, Acod, and Iron sights. having the user choose freely between those.

for example i dislike using irons Sights so why must i use it for when i am a medic...something this small wont kill the game in anyways from "Realistic" nor will it kill any Fun.

Edit: we are not talking about Cod shit when you paint your gun pink...we simple talking about user conformability in aiming. Myself have big issues aiming with some Iron Sights like the m4 which makes me useless to return firing when i play as a medic. 

Edited by RaulO4

11 hours ago, RaulO4 said:

...this is when "Game" and "Fun" comes in. 

love how "Its game so its about Fun" is used when to define one action but than the words "Its mean to be Inc" is used for when something is not fun...

i see no issue have some standard Optics like Red Dot, Acod, and Iron sights. having the user choose freely between those.

for example i dislike using irons Sights so why must i use it for when i am a medic...something this small wont kill the game in anyways from "Realistic" nor will it kill any Fun.

Edit: we are not talking about Cod shit when you paint your gun pink...we simple talking about user conformability in aiming. Myself have big issues aiming with some Iron Sights like the m4 which makes me useless to return firing when i play as a medic. 

your meant to be fairly useless returning fire as a medic because your primary role is keeping the squad alive not engaging the enemy. hence the medic role does not need a fancy sight to be accurate because the medic has little need to be returning pin point fire on an enemy when he has buddies to heal. and if he doesn't have any buddies to heal then he is a supporting fire roll and should be supporting the riflemen who's main job it killing the enemy. the supporting fire doesn't have to be super accurate, just in the right ball park.

1 minute ago, Squike said:

your meant to be fairly useless returning fire as a medic because your primary role is keeping the squad alive not engaging the enemy. hence the medic role does not need a fancy sight to be accurate because the medic has little need to be returning pin point fire on an enemy when he has buddies to heal. and if he doesn't have any buddies to heal then he is a supporting fire roll and should be supporting the riflemen who's main job it killing the enemy. the supporting fire doesn't have to be super accurate, just in the right ball park.

I also think that it´s good that the medic has no sight on his weapon because of this very reason.

Giving him scopes or better weaponry will only take away his mind of helping his boysNgirls out.

4 hours ago, Squike said:

...Devs please update the game where the medic has no weapon...his main role is to heal and just that. because in this Forum the role "Supporting role" means 1. fire randomly to the air to create "Suppression Fire" (which is not suppression fire at all but yea) and 2. they job is to shot somewhere in the ball park so people can come into the forum and Cry that their "Random firing bullets that are not hitting anywhere near target" is not causing blindness to targets....

No, A Medic having the ability to choose between Iron sights and Red dot wont change his role, his class, nor anything at all. just another Myth that people think effects the "Tactical" game without proof at all very much like when someone says "Dont do X because it causes lone wolf". 

edit: if having the medic have no red dot as an option really does help with him focusing on healing than please explain to me why I must become the Medic because some "Medic" is not doing their job? sorry to say but sights/no sights does not = Role focus. its not as simple as that and will never be.

Edited by RaulO4

It's not like the devs have previously worked at a realistic mod for 10 years so they would know it... No, wait. :)

32 minutes ago, smokyhook said:

It's ok to disagree with a topic, but there's no need for strawmen or ridicule.

what people need to understand there is simple put not enough in games like Squad/Arma to "Create a Focus Role" in terms of gameplay.

games like Dota, LOL, or overwatch have enough Flexibility in terms of weapons, stats, character design, ability, and so on  to create a real gameplay differences.

in Games like Squad or Arma like it or not what keeps a Medic a Medic is "Role Play". 

lets also note i am also a Medic in Arma and Carry red dot/scope but im still a Medic, still play my Role, and so on. enough with doing X = Role Focus or doing X = less wolfs because games like these do not have enough Gameplay Flexibility to create Role Focus.

also lets go back to Squad Medic with the Red dot issue. having no Red dot is an Issue to me but there are people that rather have a Iron sights and can use it. so the "No red dot" to = Medic role focus just went to trash because it only affected me and not him.

in the end of the Day the Number 1 factor of "Role Focus" gameplay in Squad or Arma will be the players Role Playing those roles. this is not overwatch or dota where you can Force those roles on the player.  

this is not cherry picking but pretty much what it is. hell you can even break it down into Math if you wish. the more X values the designers can mix the more wide characteristic can be given. when you limited to scenes like Squad and what you can change are simple put Scope, some side weaponry than the amount of difference between them is less wide. 

Edited by RaulO4

29 minutes ago, RaulO4 said:

in Games like Squad or Arma like it or not what keeps a Medic a Medic is "Role Play". 

What keeps a medic a medic is the ability to revive downed teammates when no other kits have the ability to do so. There is no "role playing" in that. The fact of the matter is, whenever a gunfight ensues a guy usually goes down. And it is the medic that is supposed to get that guy up, rather than to use that optic you're requesting to repel the enemy forces, as that is the role of the fire support roles in the squad. If you want optics, don't be a medic. The devs have already discussed about this for days on end. Back on topic now before another moderator/dev has to step in. If you disagree with me, either take it to PM, or use the search function, go to the appropriate topic, and tag me in it as we can continue from there.

Edited by LMR Sahara