Chuc

June 2016 Monthly Recap

16 minutes ago, DesmoLocke said:

The new models are sweet! 

Wait! Where is the special Dev-only player skin?!

usarmy2.jpg

UvK0f0N.jpg

(Image via Sethos)

Where did you get that picture of me?

20 minutes ago, DesmoLocke said:

Wait! Where is the special Dev-only player skin?!

UvK0f0N.jpg

Wait! Is that a clown suit? What are you trying to say???

31 minutes ago, Dundish said:

Monthly recaps usually doesnt have performance news:

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/4r0nkg/june_monthly_recap/d4xem1e

Here, this other reddit post has lots of information regarding the performance issues, right from devs mouths:

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/3zf2r8/the_reason_we_have_performance_issues/

Don't expect devs answering every question in the forums, anyway. Search button is your friend. :)

7 minutes ago, Zenrique said:

Monthly recaps usually doesnt have performance news:

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/4r0nkg/june_monthly_recap/d4xem1e

Here, this other reddit post has lots of information regarding the performance issues, right from devs mouths:

https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/3zf2r8/the_reason_we_have_performance_issues/

Don't expect devs answering every question in the forums, anyway. Search button is your friend. :)

Eeeeeeeeeh yes I read the monthly recaps...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees, I´m a reddit user and I have seen that thread´s and wrote something in it also..

Been here longer than you :P

BTW: Stop this nonsens.

8 hours ago, Dundish said:

So, what about the performance issues?

Quote myself:

According to your fps comparison we are doing pretty damn good! 

Considering the size and complexity of bf1 maps.. there is nothing to compare. 

We don't have the experience for their visuals but getting 60fps on a map that size we could probably do

11 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

We don't have the experience for their visuals but getting 60fps on a map that size we could probably do

Yes, you are doing good. Not saying anything else... But the performance is not top notch. Lacking.  I know, it's not prio 1... 

I dident compare, just fact. 

With a tiny map sure, not with all that explosion´s and damage on a map. End of story!

I'm worried about fps/performance when the vehicle is launched!

We will be focusing very much on optimisation and performance in a future patch,. Now i know some of you guys will be saying, focus on optimisation first, and yes, i can see that point of view.....but no :D We want vehicles in the game, we have always wanted them in, players want them in, it expands the game into a completely different experience, so we are doing that first, THEN we can move to optimising. 

Now when I have seen the new vehicle fotage I'm super worried about the performance/fps !

15 minutes ago, Dundish said:

Now when I have seen the new vehicle fotage I'm super worried about the performance/fps !

No Pain,No Gain,in my honest opinion. Performance/Optimazation will come later.

We're here to test the development of Squad & give our DEV's constructive feedback on the progress & praising their commitment to the project. ;)

Just now, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

No Pain,No Gain,in my honest opinion. Performance/Optimazation will come later.

We're here to test the development of Squad & give our DEV's constructive feedback on the progress & praising their commitment to the project. ;)

Ooooh I thought that alpha stood for something else ...

1 hour ago, Dundish said:

I think you've made your point quite clear, no need to debate or argue in this thread. It'll come as it comes and there really isn't too much we can do about it. Just enjoy the ride and performance will get there.

theres certain priorities in the development world: get things and features working as intended first, then worry about making them faster, more efficient, etc. that goes for any type of development work, especially if you are lacking in numbers and are being dragged back and forth between other priorities. I would know, my development team only has 2 other people in it for the entire company :P

14 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Keep in mind that the Frostbite Engine used for BF1 has a massive team working on it (bigger than the UE4 team). It is, imo, the most technologically advanced game engine on the planet (that is actually shipping games). Networked destruction with medium velocity weapons at high fidelity visual quality with 64 players while logging real time events to companion apps and websites.. I've seen "under the covers" and it's mind bendingly complex. 

The team working on the BF1 game is about 50x the size of the OWI team. At any given time a single map may have a team the size of OWI working on *just that map*.

You guys are doing fairly awesome for your size and the ambition of your project.

I've said it to you before in other channels and in some what other words... I do not believe your biggest risk / challenge is "can you make a great game?". The biggest risk / challenge is "Can you manage the community and it's expectations well enough that it is still vibrant and robust while you develop a great game?".

egg

it doesn't matter how many people are working on BF1, Squad will still always be better in every aspect then BF1

quality over quantity, given enough time

Fantastic recap, but the US soldiers are looking a little bit like plastic. Though I assume the the textures haven't gone through their final pass. :)

Great work as always lads. Keep it coming.

Edited by Doc Murphy

7 hours ago, Dundish said:

From my understanding, here is a basic bitch chart on game development, with the current stage being in bold.

Pre Alpha - Getting the Basics set up for the game

Alpha - Adding in content that will shape the game

Beta - Polishing and Optimization 

Going Gold - 1.0 version of the game is finished and set out for release, as DLC follows after launch. 

Give it a few months and you'll start seeing FPS go up around Beta, there's no point spending too much time optimizing during Alpha, only for more content getting added in later and having a bad performance rate. Let the devs focus on content and get to optimization for Beta. Just my two cents

Edited by LMR Sahara

1 hour ago, LMR Sahara said:

From my understanding, here is a basic bitch chart on game development, with the current stage being in bold.

Pre Alpha - Getting the Basics set up for the game

Alpha - Adding in content that will shape the game

Beta - Polishing and Optimization 

Going Gold - 1.0 version of the game is finished and set out for release, as DLC follows after launch. 

Give it a few months and you'll start seeing FPS go up around Beta, there's no point spending too much time optimizing during Alpha, only for more content getting added in later and having a bad performance rate. Let the devs focus on content and get to optimization for Beta. Just my two cents

Don't forget about the fact that UE4 for the game is also being updated. Sort of Alpha built on top of an Alpha. That makes it twice as hard when things get broken like they did with 4.11 in my mind.

2 hours ago, Dundish said:

I know all that...

Why do you go on these forums and complain about the performance of an unfinished game? Every time I see a post from you its all complains.... Maybe focusing on the great strides the DEV team has made would be a more productive venture. 

10 hours ago, Dundish said:

What's with the caustic attitude sven?

Anyway REALLY looking forward to these vehicles they are going to completely change the way that squads do battle.

I'm more excited about setting up ambushes for vehicles than driving them. Fool's Road, especially, was designed for vehicle ambushes, hence the name.

Edited by fatalsushi

1 hour ago, fatalsushi said:

I'm more excited about setting up ambushes for vehicles than driving them. Fool's Road, especially, was designed for vehicle ambushes, hence the name.

ive been starting to integrate more paths and bunkers at vantage points as well to cover the valleys.. should be interesting!

50 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

ive been starting to integrate more paths and bunkers at vantage points as well to cover the valleys.. should be interesting!

Hhhnnnrrggghhh <3

As an infantry player, this makes my heart sing.

Actually, while we're on the subject @IrOnTaXi, did you decide whether or not you were going to change Fool's back to your original PR layout? I remember you mentioned that a while back and I'm not sure if you ever made a decision (or, at least, made it publicly).

1 minute ago, Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said:

I can see a lot of vehicles getting wrecked, ambush is the key....Infantry still will rule,until thermal optics scopes kicks in.

I wonder how many players will now be scrabbling for the rpg/law kit instead of the optics hehe.