FishMan

[Tutorial] How to be a miserable bastard

117 posts in this topic
53 minutes ago, samogon said:

Write first,think later... thats happens to me sometimes...

 

Out of curiosity, did you really mean bump map (grayscale) or did you just get the terminology mixed up with the normal maps (RGB) which are basically bump map v2? 

 

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/26153/how-do-you-use-bump-map-not-normal-map-in-ue4.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no!! We should said as well that there are no specular map as well, cause UE4 using metal/gloss pipeline! :D

 

Guys, just stop )))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

 

Out of curiosity, did you really mean bump map (grayscale) or did you just get the terminology mixed up with the normal maps (RGB) which are basically bump map v2? 

 

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/26153/how-do-you-use-bump-map-not-normal-map-in-ue4.html

 

I think I mean normals.Just bad habit to call normal as bump cuz normal map also known as 'dot3 bump map'.

But yeap,both of them provide same effect,only one of this maps are nessesary.

 

1 hour ago, FishMan said:

Oh no!! We should said as well that there are no specular map as well, cause UE4 using metal/gloss pipeline! :D

 

Guys, just stop )))

 

Well,it's cool.But... how game understand,which object must shine more(Like scratches),which shine less and which doesn't shine at all?

 

Edited by samogon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samogon said:

Well,it's cool.But... how game understand,which object must shine more(Like scratches),which shine less and which doesn't shine at all?

You wouldn't believe me, but everything is a mirror.

 

And how the lights works is determined by the roughness or glossiness map and it's not the same as specular map.

In metalness/roughness pipeline reflection is determined by the value of the albedo as I remember, but I have read the theory long time ago and maybe I have forgot something.

 

You can read about it by your self if you want: [1], [2], [3].

 

And yeah diffuse doesn't exists in PBR as well, its called an albedo. The difference is that there can't be any light information inside albedo map. Well at least in theory. It just a color map. While diffuse can include indirect (and direct as well, why not) lighting baked (that's why I like it more).

Edited by FishMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey dudes, am just reading through.......nice work on the bake, and iirc, dof is simply something we havent got round to yet.......the potential is there, and im sure someone will get round to switching it on at some point. Tbh there is a lot of interesting new stuff coming for weapons/handling etc, im sure you guys will read about it as soon as its ready to be shown off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Drav said:

hey dudes, am just reading through.......nice work on the bake, and iirc, dof is simply something we havent got round to yet.......the potential is there, and im sure someone will get round to switching it on at some point. Tbh there is a lot of interesting new stuff coming for weapons/handling etc, im sure you guys will read about it as soon as its ready to be shown off.

You guys are changing how weapons handling works?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed me?

I was busy being lazy.

 

Here is the progress on which I was working for couple of days...

Reticle shader was reworked. Now it is a little bit faster, has less instructions and settings now very predictible.

Look how simple it is:

pic.jpg

 

Here is the short video showing how it works:

 

You can download this shader here.

 

Screenshot:

pic.jpg

 

Also I've worked under glass reflection.

Here is some quick demonstration:

 

Shader looks like this:

pic.jpg

 

It looks smaller, but the prefomance impact is the same as in previous one, that is unfortunately. I guess this is because of the "reflection vector" node, I guess it's pretty heavy. But still this shader is pretty fast, at least should be, and it's definetely faster than if we use native translucent pbr shader and looks better as well. But it's not physically correct, just pretty, thats why it looks different in different environments (maps), Im trying to make it look pretty on every map.

 

I will publish it later, it is almoust finished but still wip.

 

Any comments? Suggenstions? Critics? Some gay jokes?

Edited by FishMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FishMan said:

Any comments? Suggenstions? Critics? Some gay jokes?

 

Did you have experience in working with shaders prior to your squad/UE4 experimentation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Did you have experience in working with shaders prior to your squad/UE4 experimentation?

Not quite. I was learning UDK shader system before this, but have never used my knowledge till now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MAAAAAAAAAN, why are you not a DEV yet? God damn, amazing work! I demand to see it in game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Romagnolo said:

MAAAAAAAAAN, why are you not a DEV yet?

Cause I'm not look like a biker trolololololol 

Just kidding. It's because I'm miserable, stubborn and ignorant and agressive inadequate russian as well  just imagine how many harm I can do :D

So It just no way for me...

 

18 hours ago, Romagnolo said:

I demand to see it in game!

I think we're not in that position to make demands)
We are guests here, remember? )
Even if we pay for this - doesn't matter ;)

Edited by FishMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I know i'm late to the party, but i really love your work! Even tho you can be a miserable bastard, your work on scopes in general and this '552 is outstandingly detailed.

Now someone sneak this in v10. ;)

Greetings,

Tillee


€: Also, thanks to you I'll never forget that the Aimpoint is just slightly too big... dammit. 

 

Edited by Tillee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew there was something wrong when the aimpoint on a SAW takes up half the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.

 

I'm sure there was a reason why they decided to mess up with the proportions.

Well I'm not agree with that decision cause it create just more problems.

But I can't just believe that they wasn't aware about picatinny rail sizes.

 

By the way here is just the good video which I use a lot for referencing...

 

 

Edited by FishMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just being the awfully nosy guy I am... did you contact the devs on wether they'd be interested on including your EoTech, or are you waiting for them to ask you`?

Greetings
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tillee said:

Just being the awfully nosy guy I am... did you contact the devs on wether they'd be interested on including your EoTech, or are you waiting for them to ask you`?

 

Nothing out of this )

I'm just having fun  )

If someone wants to use anything I do - he can do it absolutely free, without even informing me.

If devs still aren't using this or don't write here anything Im pretty sure this mean that they are not interested:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now