FishMan

[Tutorial] How to be a miserable bastard

Psyrus   
53 minutes ago, samogon said:

Write first,think later... thats happens to me sometimes...

Out of curiosity, did you really mean bump map (grayscale) or did you just get the terminology mixed up with the normal maps (RGB) which are basically bump map v2? 

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/26153/how-do-you-use-bump-map-not-normal-map-in-ue4.html

samogon   
1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

Out of curiosity, did you really mean bump map (grayscale) or did you just get the terminology mixed up with the normal maps (RGB) which are basically bump map v2? 

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/26153/how-do-you-use-bump-map-not-normal-map-in-ue4.html

I think I mean normals.Just bad habit to call normal as bump cuz normal map also known as 'dot3 bump map'.

But yeap,both of them provide same effect,only one of this maps are nessesary.

1 hour ago, FishMan said:

Oh no!! We should said as well that there are no specular map as well, cause UE4 using metal/gloss pipeline! :D

Guys, just stop )))

Well,it's cool.But... how game understand,which object must shine more(Like scratches),which shine less and which doesn't shine at all?

Edited by samogon

FishMan   
1 hour ago, samogon said:

Well,it's cool.But... how game understand,which object must shine more(Like scratches),which shine less and which doesn't shine at all?

You wouldn't believe me, but everything is a mirror.

And how the lights works is determined by the roughness or glossiness map and it's not the same as specular map.

In metalness/roughness pipeline reflection is determined by the value of the albedo as I remember, but I have read the theory long time ago and maybe I have forgot something.

You can read about it by your self if you want: [1], [2], [3].

And yeah diffuse doesn't exists in PBR as well, its called an albedo. The difference is that there can't be any light information inside albedo map. Well at least in theory. It just a color map. While diffuse can include indirect (and direct as well, why not) lighting baked (that's why I like it more).

Edited by FishMan

Drav   

hey dudes, am just reading through.......nice work on the bake, and iirc, dof is simply something we havent got round to yet.......the potential is there, and im sure someone will get round to switching it on at some point. Tbh there is a lot of interesting new stuff coming for weapons/handling etc, im sure you guys will read about it as soon as its ready to be shown off.

23 hours ago, Drav said:

hey dudes, am just reading through.......nice work on the bake, and iirc, dof is simply something we havent got round to yet.......the potential is there, and im sure someone will get round to switching it on at some point. Tbh there is a lot of interesting new stuff coming for weapons/handling etc, im sure you guys will read about it as soon as its ready to be shown off.

You guys are changing how weapons handling works?

FishMan   

Missed me?

I was busy being lazy.

Here is the progress on which I was working for couple of days...

Reticle shader was reworked. Now it is a little bit faster, has less instructions and settings now very predictible.

Look how simple it is:

pic.jpg

Here is the short video showing how it works:

You can download this shader here.

Screenshot:

pic.jpg

Also I've worked under glass reflection.

Here is some quick demonstration:

Shader looks like this:

pic.jpg

It looks smaller, but the prefomance impact is the same as in previous one, that is unfortunately. I guess this is because of the "reflection vector" node, I guess it's pretty heavy. But still this shader is pretty fast, at least should be, and it's definetely faster than if we use native translucent pbr shader and looks better as well. But it's not physically correct, just pretty, thats why it looks different in different environments (maps), Im trying to make it look pretty on every map.

I will publish it later, it is almoust finished but still wip.

Any comments? Suggenstions? Critics? Some gay jokes?

Edited by FishMan

Psyrus   
5 hours ago, FishMan said:

Any comments? Suggenstions? Critics? Some gay jokes?

Did you have experience in working with shaders prior to your squad/UE4 experimentation?

FishMan   
6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Did you have experience in working with shaders prior to your squad/UE4 experimentation?

Not quite. I was learning UDK shader system before this, but have never used my knowledge till now.

FishMan   
18 hours ago, Romagnolo said:

MAAAAAAAAAN, why are you not a DEV yet?

Cause I'm not look like a biker trolololololol 

Just kidding. It's because I'm miserable, stubborn and ignorant and agressive inadequate russian as well  just imagine how many harm I can do :D

So It just no way for me...

18 hours ago, Romagnolo said:

I demand to see it in game!

I think we're not in that position to make demands)
We are guests here, remember? )
Even if we pay for this - doesn't matter ;)

Edited by FishMan

Tillee   

I know i'm late to the party, but i really love your work! Even tho you can be a miserable bastard, your work on scopes in general and this '552 is outstandingly detailed.

Now someone sneak this in v10. ;)

Greetings,

Tillee

€: Also, thanks to you I'll never forget that the Aimpoint is just slightly too big... dammit. 

Edited by Tillee

FishMan   

Thanks.

I'm sure there was a reason why they decided to mess up with the proportions.

Well I'm not agree with that decision cause it create just more problems.

But I can't just believe that they wasn't aware about picatinny rail sizes.

By the way here is just the good video which I use a lot for referencing...

Edited by FishMan

Tillee   

Just being the awfully nosy guy I am... did you contact the devs on wether they'd be interested on including your EoTech, or are you waiting for them to ask you`?

Greetings

FishMan   
8 hours ago, Tillee said:

Just being the awfully nosy guy I am... did you contact the devs on wether they'd be interested on including your EoTech, or are you waiting for them to ask you`?

Nothing out of this )

I'm just having fun  )

If someone wants to use anything I do - he can do it absolutely free, without even informing me.

If devs still aren't using this or don't write here anything Im pretty sure this mean that they are not interested:)

FishMan   

Um yep another small update.

I've made some small adjustments in the glass shader, changed some colors and fixed some small issues, so it should look more like Eotech now.. I guess...

Well I think I will leave it like that and call it a day.

Here is a video:

Some screenshots:

BTwZQc1.jpg

o59nL35.jpg

And link to download the shader with all maps necessary (please tell me if something doesn't work).

Another good news is that I've finally bought a new pen tablet (cause my old stopped working recently), I've bought Intous Pro M and I should say damn this thing is expensive in Russia because of our rate towards the dollar and all Western sanctions I paid as much as I did earn in a month at my first job. So I might start to texture this asset and finally finish it. But only if I stop to be so lazy ass.

Let me know what you're thinking.

Edited by FishMan

Axton   

That glass shader looks fantastic, I'm looking forward to poking through it :) 

Congrats on the tablet by the way, I've always wanted one. I just looked it up and even here in the US it's about half a month's wages for someone working at McDonalds haha.

FishMan   
4 hours ago, Axton said:

someone working at McDonalds haha.

LOL! And Im a CG artits! :D

Can you imagine how deep the ass in what we live at?

Prices for electronics have tripled in just the year.

I love my country, but damn a hate the government.

Anyway thanks for your replies guys.

Tillee   

Great work with the shader! Hope we will see your 552 in some upcoming projects, it won't get any more real than this. :)

Covalent   

that reflection looks amazing

wish it was on the other scopes in the game, looking forward to seeing more of your work fishman

hopefully in the base game too because it all looks great

FishMan   
10 minutes ago, Covalent said:

hopefully in the base game too because it all looks great

Something tells me that it's not going to happen ))

But anyway thanks for your reply. I hope I will finish it asap, after I return from a vacation.