FishMan

[Tutorial] How to be a miserable bastard

15 minutes ago, FishMan said:

Uh damn! :D I haven't noticed that you are from GB. Today is a day of fails from my part.

Sorry to trouble you mister Melbo.

So I read some wikipedia and if I understand correct US army uses M553 under the designation SU-231/PEQ.

So I'll do M553. And maybe M552 later...

SgtRoss dude is from US of A.

FishMan   
Just now, WARti0k0ne -BG- said:

SgtRoss dude is from US of A.

So lets call him...

Ping @SgtRoss

I feel my self as a child that is calling Dedushka Moroz (russian Santa) on matinee...

Dear mr. SgtRoss what EOTech model US Army is using?

Edited by FishMan

NotBrad   
16 hours ago, FishMan said:

On this stage I can move to modeling...

But there are couple of EOTech devices they are differ visually, which one I should do?

006027.jpg

By the way @NotBrad you've mentioned that you've got one of these, could you help me if I'll need some measurements or photos maybe?

sure. No problem, I may not respond all the time but I can give reference pics with scale if necessary

ZiGreen   

SU-231/PEQ is part of SOPMOD Block II kit which is used by Special Operations Capable units. 552 is the most common EOTech for infantry units.

16 hours ago, beginna said:

more like disbelief / frustration!?

As I saw on his stream, he started modeling the EOTec M553.

Lol, poor guy... I would love to see an EOTech in-game, keep it up!

FishMan   

Ok. So I've desided to do M552. Becase of two reasons:

1)I have found out (thanks to comrade ZiGreen) that the most common EOTech in US Army is M552. Before the army abandoned them in 2013. There are two versions of M552: one that seems like was developed before EOTech entered concern L3 and second that was developed after. At first I've decided to do the second one (because it is easier) but then I changed my mind because first version is seems like more common actually. Here how it looks:

36935241.dfj6lcp4wb.jpg?1

2) If we beleve mr. Melbo then I should be a misarable bastard. But more importantly is the fact that he claim that the British Army also uses m552:

On 03.07.2016 at 8:29 PM, Melbo said:

552 if you're doing the Brits, good sir.

So everything converges. M552 - is the right choice. So theoretically we kill two birds with one stone.

So if someone got this (or similar) eotech model I'll appreciate if you made some photos of the battery because it is the hardest part and there are not too much references in the Internet about it.

Hey @NotBrad mate, does your device looks like on the photo above?

Edited by FishMan

NotBrad   
4 hours ago, FishMan said:

Ok. So I've desided to do M552. Becase of two reasons:

1)I have found out (thanks to comrade ZiGreen) that the most common EOTech in US Army is M552. Before the army abandoned them in 2013. There are two versions of M552: one that seems like was developed before EOTech entered concern L3 and second that was developed after. At first I've decided to do the second one (because it is easier) but then I changed my mind because first version is seems like more common actually. Here how it looks:

36935241.dfj6lcp4wb.jpg?1

2) If we beleve mr. Melbo then I should be a misarable bastard. But more importantly is the fact that he claim that the British Army also uses m552:

So everything converges. M552 - is the right choice. So theoretically we kill two birds with one stone.

So if someone got this (or similar) eotech model I'll appreciate if you made some photos of the battery because it is the hardest part and there are not too much references in the Internet about it.

Hey @NotBrad mate, does your device looks like on the photo above?

Yes, mine is a pre-L3 M552 with NV compatibility. I can probably get you a few pictures in a day or two.

FishMan   
On 07.07.2016 at 7:57 AM, NotBrad said:

Yes, mine is a pre-L3 M552 with NV compatibility. I can probably get you a few pictures in a day or two.

Thanks. It will be really great. :) Could you make some photos of the battery cap from the bottom? There are very few of such in the Internet.

And can I ask you to measure the dimentions without the (lets call it) "mounting bolt" especially width?

3 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

I love the name of this thread. And the reticle effect you did looks really damn cool.

Thanks fatalsushi.

Edited by FishMan

FishMan   

Dammit! I just found out that the dev's M4 has the wrong width of picatinny plank. The real one is 21,2 mm (0,835") and the one on m4 in squad if you adjust it to real proportions (because it is smaller in game than in real life) is ~27,6 mm (1,086").

Here some screenshots to show why it's bad:

pic.jpg

The height and width of the plane with front view image is 51 x 64 mm (these sizes are listed on the oficial website).

And here how it should be:

pic.jpg

As you can see I did everything right. If I adjust the sight to this proportions It's gonna be really huge:

pic.jpg

Fuck. Now I have to find the compromise. Why everything is always not simple in this life? I'm so miserable. :)

Any suggestions?

From my part I can see two solutions:

1) not give a damn;

2)try to scale it up a bit and then move the screws little bit right and left and made the hole for plank a little bit wider, but there are not much space for this.

And something tells me that I will chose the first option. What do you think guys?

Edited by FishMan

FishMan   

By the way! Another attempt to stream here:

*removed*

I am gonna speak on this one. But I will be speak russian, so don't forget to say: "suka bleat rush b". You can ask any questions by the way I will try answer them on english.

UPD: Stream is over.

Edited by FishMan

ZiGreen   
2 hours ago, FishMan said:

Dammit! I just found out that the dev's M4 has the wrong width of picatinny plank. The real one is 21,2 mm (0,835") and the one on m4 in squad if you adjust it to real proportions (because it is smaller in game than in real life) is ~27,6 mm (1,086").

pic.jpg

The height and width of the plane with front view image is 51 x 64 mm (these sizes are listed on the oficial website).

pic.jpg

As you can see I did everything right. If I adjust the sight to this proportions It's gonna be really huge:

pic.jpg

Fuck. Now I have to find the compromise. Why everything is always not simple in this life? I'm so miserable. :)

Any suggestions?

1) not give a damn;

2)try to scale it up a bit and then move the screws little bit right and left and made the hole for plank a little bit wider, but there are not much space for this.

And something tells me that I will chose the first option. What do you think guys?

Oh, maybe it is the reason why Aimpoint looks too large on M4.

Considering how critical the size of rails for future official and modding content, I think Z-trooper should correct it. Standardized rail will make creation and impelementation of attachements much more easier for moders.

13 hours ago, FishMan said:

pic.jpg

pic.jpg

pic.jpg

Any suggestions?

1) not give a damn;

You could try tinkering with the rail size by scaling it horizontally, then make the new M4A1 and 552 into a single mesh like how OWI made the rifle+UBGL into a single mesh as well.

It's ok though, in Insurgency, NWI chose to go slack on the dimensions of their weapons, which make some scopes look oversized and others puny. It's disgusting but we've lived through it.

FishMan   
4 hours ago, Blackout330 said:

You could try tinkering with the rail size by scaling it horizontally, then make the new M4A1 and 552 into a single mesh like how OWI made the rifle+UBGL into a single mesh as well.

Thanks for the answer. But I don't like this solution because in that case this sight become non unified: it's mean that If a situation arises to put it to other weapons such as a machine-gun or British rifle, you'll have to repeat this process for them as well. So in the end there will be a lot of the copies of the same models for each variation as well as it wouldn't be possible to use it in new attachment system, that devs are going to implement some day.

I've decided to not give a damn about it. Anyway, it's not my fault. I think the accuracy of this model should not suffer because of this. You'll never know, maybe someone someday will make a new model of m4.

Edited by FishMan

FishMan   
Just now, carmikaze said:

Just make the sight bigger and adjust it to the size of the M4, as you said eotech looks to small on the second picture of the pic.

I can do that but as I said i think it's gonna be really huge in that case. But the good news is that I can do this anytime, so I'll try it anyway, thanks.

12 minutes ago, FishMan said:

I can do that but as I said i think it's gonna be really huge in that case. But the good news is that I can do this anytime, so I'll try it anyway, thanks.

Do you really notice it ingame that the sight is bigger than in real life? I mean, the optics currently ingame don't really look oddly big to me, but that's just my observation :)

About the yellow sticker on the left side of the Eotech, I'm not sure if infantrymen leave it on or if it is even issued with the sticker on it, but I don't have any reference pics at hand right now.

FishMan   

Do you really notice it ingame that the sight is bigger than in real life? I mean, the optics currently ingame don't really look oddly big to me, but that's just my observation

Yeah I understand that. Some difference is unnoticable but not when your sight is two times bigger than your rifle.

FishMan   

Could you try to make it bigger and show it to us?

Of course. After I finish the modeling and texturing.

Edited by FishMan