FishMan

[Tutorial] How to be a miserable bastard

117 posts in this topic

Another evening spent in some fun with optics and here the results...

First of all the video:

And here is how devs did their collimator:

pic1.jpg

As you can see they are not using any textures pretty clever actually...

But if you try to use a texture you gonna end in some troubles (I will explain it below)

Here is mine :

pic.jpg

As you can see there is some "Fix distance" section, Iam too lazy to explain what it do I just will you show you how it works without it:

(Sorry for sound I was in mumble when I was recording this)

Screenshot:

pic2.jpg

I am still not happy with the visual effect of the Reticle, its fine but I want more... 

First of all I'm not happy with some compression artifacts, may be I'll try to use distant fields for this, I dunno, anyway it will be tomorrow...

Today we've got what we got...

By the way I am trying to make EOTech for squad leader kit (seems like I have to do everything by my self haha)... 

UPD1:

I spend a whole day reworking the reticle, so now it is procedural. I am only using 1 512x512 texture for noise, because I think procedural noise will be too expensive. The sizes should be correct now as well. But I may need to enlarge the circle, because it will be not very convenient to shoot.

The shader is pretty big and complex now, and it's not easy to make adjustments. But it is what it is. If someone can do better - be my guest.

pic3.jpg

The result is much cleaner now, than the one where I was using textures.

And I am pretty happy with it. Here some screenshots:

pic4.jpg

And here the shader by it self:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9760936/collimator/Squad.rar

I guess you should extract it to your Squad SDK folder and it should work.

If something is not working - please tell me...

UPD2:

picjpg_4328956_22864493.jpg

EOTech M552 Highpoly model availible for download here.

UPD3:

Early tests in engine (lowpoly without normal maps and textures):

UPD4:

Lowpoly:

Tris: 3394

Textures: 2048x2048 (AO and Normal map)

mrmstprvw.jpg

Link to marmoset viewer.

Edited by FishMan

Uh almoust forgot: ask your questions if you cant understand something I will try to explain everything that you interested in.

Edited by FishMan

2 hours ago, FishMan said:

By the way I am trying to make EOTech for squad leader kit (seems like I have to do everything by my self haha)... 

Ping @NotBrad he's making an EOTech model. Maybe you two can collab! That's be awesome imo.

I've never liked these huge and bulky crosshairs. Even default one looks huge and bulky to me. I turned off r.SeparateTranslucency=False and here's how my crosshair looks like now:

95f73f2f72.png

Transparent, nice and smooth.

And you can be more accurate with the crosshair above than with default one(below) because it's smaller and you can feel the center better:

e85b7a4378.png

Edited by KulaGGin

Dunno what you talking about but there are a scalar parameter so It can be any size...

Or you mean the dot? 

Edited by FishMan

By the way I've found this image:

static_ret.gif

Is it really work like this?

It does make sence, so my first implementation was correct there is no need for any distance fix...

Сan someone confirm this?

Edited by FishMan

7 hours ago, FishMan said:

By the way I've found this image:

static_ret.gif

Is it really work like this?

It does make sence, so my first implementation was correct there is no need for any distance fix...

Сan someone confirm this?

Yes. That is exactly how it works. I own a first generation EOTech 512 and can confirm. @Hunter_Sh0tz, sadly I am no longer working on that because all my software is EDU and that means I can't actually use it for any real projects. So I scrapped the whole thing. Thanks for remembering though! If I had 3DS Max and AutoCAD, I could help, but I don't have ~$4K to spend on a thing like that.

I spend a whole day reworking the reticle, so now it is procedural. I am only using 1 512x512 texture for noise, because I think procedural noise will be too expensive. The sizes should be correct now as well. But I may need to enlarge the circle, because it will be not very convenient to shoot.

The shader is pretty big and complex now, and it's not easy to make adjustments. But it is what it is. If someone can do better - be my guest.

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Edited by FishMan

10 hours ago, NotBrad said:

Yes. That is exactly how it works. I own a first generation EOTech 512 and can confirm. @Hunter_Sh0tz, sadly I am no longer working on that because all my software is EDU and that means I can't actually use it for any real projects. So I scrapped the whole thing. Thanks for remembering though! If I had 3DS Max and AutoCAD, I could help, but I don't have ~$4K to spend on a thing like that.

Be a Blender peasant! :D

2 hours ago, Blackout330 said:

Be a Blender peasant! :D

Lol never. I only know one guy who's used blender and he's the biggest douche I know irl. I might go for a cracked version and then do something then, but I haven't seen a reputable source for that yet.

7 minutes ago, NotBrad said:

cracked

Why would you crack free 3D software?

5 hours ago, FishMan said:

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

If you want perfection the dot is 2 MOA and the ring is 65 MOA. if you scale the reticle to that, as long as it is projected to be 100m from the shooter, you can place the sight wherever you want to on the rifle without affecting the accuracy of the sight. That's why holographic sights are so great. And why you see special forces doing this:

6 minutes ago, Blackout330 said:

Why would you crack free 3D software?

I'm talking about the skills I already have for 3DS Max and AutoCAD.

Wow. Blender is pretty good actually. We've got couple of guys who is using it. One is our art-director and another is a cool character artist... Maya is the worst application actually... Me is a 3ds max user as well, and I want to throw a Molotov cocktail at the Autodesk office whenever my model flies in space when I rotating the camera, or for the fact that I have to select this damn mode every time:

pic.jpg

...when it should be by default. Or because... uh fuck it.. there thousands of reasons why I want to decimate the whole company ) 

3 hours ago, NotBrad said:

If you want perfection the dot is 2 MOA and the ring is 65 MOA. if you scale the reticle to that, as long as it is projected to be 100m from the shooter, you can place the sight wherever you want to on the rifle without affecting the accuracy of the sight.

On the official site I've found that the reticle is 68 MOA and the dot is 1 MOA...

And this is how I did:

I've made 68" (in diameter) cylinder and placed it on the distance about  ~91 meters (~100 yards), and then I did so that the projection of a circle and cylinder are coincided.

Here is how it looks:

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

I was referencig from this picture:

3MOApic.png

Is that correct?

But It looks too small in game I think that it can cover the targets and be uncomfortable for the player...

Whats why I allways against total realism, and thats why they called me bitchy, angry and whatever by the way...

Edited by FishMan

On this stage I can move to modeling...

But there are couple of EOTech devices they are differ visually, which one I should do?

006027.jpg

By the way @NotBrad you've mentioned that you've got one of these, could you help me if I'll need some measurements or photos maybe?

Edited by FishMan

A quick google search, showes me the 552 as the one issued to us army.

The xps3 is also in use, but I think only afsoc units and special forces use them

24 minutes ago, Igno said:

A quick google search, showes me the 552 as the one issued to us army.

The xps3 is also in use, but I think only afsoc units and special forces use them

Thanks Igno.

Is there any visual difference between M512 and M552?

Found this image in the Internet :D

dumbshit_fbi_1.jpg

Как всегда отличная работа мужик! Так держать,очень надеюсь что разработчики увидят это и внедрят в игру.на англ впадлу было писать.:)

Thanks Igno.

Is there any visual difference between M512 and M552?

Found this image in the Internet

dumbshit_fbi_1.jpg

That looks like a xps3 mounted the wrong way lol

No, wait looks like I am wrong, 553 is the one you want

I guess it's time for captain @Melbo!!! Ta--ta-tatata-taaaaa!

Hey Melbo which model of EOTech I should do to be precise? Which one is used in US army?

Edited by FishMan

18 minutes ago, FishMan said:

I guess it's time for captain @Melbo!!! Ta--ta-tatata-taaaaa!

Which model of EOTech I should do?

552 if you're doing the Brits, good sir.

Just now, Melbo said:

552 if you're doing the Brits, good sir.

Uh damn! :D I haven't noticed that you are from GB. Today is a day of fails from my part.

Sorry to trouble you mister Melbo.

So I read some wikipedia and if I understand correct US army uses M553 under the designation SU-231/PEQ.

So I'll do M553. And maybe M552 later...