FishMan

Some fun with acog scope.

82 posts in this topic
28 minutes ago, ZiGreen said:

That is why I always suggest optics/irons balance through proper implementation of optics. Not only because I am dumb realismfag.

Lol I figured you were being fasecious to :)

Great progress!

I hope our gods  overlords devs look in here sometime. ;)

Spend a day working on this...

Here is the lens distortion and chromatic aberation implemented.

Not super pretty, but I don't know what else I can do with this two effects, I guess we need some reflections and dirt to make it look more realistic.

And yes sorry for music I forgot that I was listening "King's Quest" OST on a background... I just beat this game yesterday and still under the impression. If you haven't played this game yet - you just wasting your life :)

By the way I failed to do anything usefull with native UE's refraction, seems like it works only for environments. So I took the Post-Process shader that I was mentioned before and rebuild it for my needs. Here you can download it if you interested.

By the way the perfomance isn't that bad, not something I was dreaming about, but it should do I guess...

So next stop will be some reflection/dirt may be, or I finally get deep in building.. I dunno how do you call it... "black luna effect" maybe... I mean this effect when you look not straight like in this video:

Enjoy.

UPD:

Uh forgot a sreenshot.

Here you go.

http://i11.pixs.ru/storage/5/7/8/picjpg_5490923_25315578.jpg

Edited by FishMan

5 hours ago, LugNut said:

The black shadow is called vignetting.

https://www.eagleoptics.com/pages/understanding-eye-relief-a-closer-look

While I admire your effort to introduce lens distortion, there really isn't much or any at all in a decent scope. 

Fully agree that there isn't much distortion when actually sighting in a real scope, but to be fair I like his effect as more of an authentic balance to the basic 3D ingame optics. Since PiP scopes are a no go I feel this works well as a hopefully much more efficient substitute that makes the use of optics more challenging even if it isn't exactly realistic. 

As for the current effect @FishMan I'm liking where you're taking it, and hopefully the processing load for the effect isn't too overly taxing. 

After refration I came up with the idea to make a mirage post-process effect...

I'm not sure that It can be used or not, but it was fun to make it and it's quite simple...

Here is the shader in case someone decided that his desert needs some mirage effect on the background.

And screenshot.

https://s8.postimg.org/vnqidk3mt/pic.jpg

UPD:

God dammit! U can't see a shit because of this stupid compression...

Here. I moved it closer so you can see it better...

Edited by FishMan

Just now, Major Trouble said:

Heat shimmer? We already have that effect if you turn on AA.

Do you hear us damn Epic Games?! We hate your Temporal AA ghosting crap!!

1 minute ago, FishMan said:

Do you hear us damn Epic Games?! We hate your Temporal AA ghosting crap!!

Yeah that's the only thing that makes squad not look staticy, but enough beer and the ghost tracers go away 

Now that has nothing to do with the scopes, but at this time something usefull.

I just took the same principle that I was using in mirage effect and put it to the cloth, here is the result:

This is not my idea I just read this article and decided to implement this inside unreal.

I may record a short tutorial about how to do it if you interested (are you interested?)...

Cause it messing with UVs inside pixel shader it doesn't require any good tesseletaion, so it can be aplyed to any surface. For example this is how they did wind on the character cloth in Dying Light. You can do the same for example - apply it to character cloth and get a wind effect...

Edited by FishMan

Nice! I assume this is probably how the character clothing was done in the recent UE4 beta release PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds.

It would be nice to see this on the insurgent characters clothing (instead of the flat look they have now, without wind/environment reaction).

Well as far as I can see from this video they using some cloth simulation, which is not the same as I showed on the video )

15 hours ago, FishMan said:

Now that has nothing to do with the scopes, but at this time something usefull.

I just took the same principle that I was using in mirage effect and put it to the cloth, here is the result:

This is not my idea I just read this article and decided to implement this inside unreal.

I may record a short tutorial about how to do it if you interested (are you interested?)...

Cause it messing with UVs inside pixel shader it doesn't require any good tesseletaion, so it can be aplyed to any surface. For example this is how they did wind on the character cloth in Dying Light. You can do the same for example - apply it to character cloth and get a wind effect...

Whats the perfomance impact with those, if any,  regarding a map full of carpets in the wind, like sumari?

1 hour ago, Tillee said:

Whats the perfomance impact with those, if any,  regarding a map full of carpets in the wind, like sumari?

I'd imagine it to be relatively minimal if it's just a panning normal map. Adding extra stuff like that to a material isn't free, but it usually isn't particularly costly either. Especially if he set up an LOD material for it, and only the LOD0 has the normal panning.

Yep it's minimal, almoust nothing. It adds only 12 instructions in pixel shader and one texture lookup.

7 hours ago, Axton said:

Especially if he set up an LOD material for it, and only the LOD0 has the normal panning.

You can even left it on lods..

7 hours ago, Axton said:

if it's just a panning normal map.

Well not a normal map, the shader is messing up with texture coordinates - shifting UVs per each pixel.

Here is the code:

pic.jpg

There is a static switch, so it can be disabled in material instances.

Texture is avalible here.

And the result...

PS I dunno why sound is lagging )

Edited by FishMan

Ahh I had assumed it was just panning normals as the article you linked said that uvs weren't used :P 

4 hours ago, FishMan said:

Yep it's minimal, almoust nothing. It adds only 12 instructions in pixel shader and one texture lookup.

You can even left it on lods..

Well not a normal map, the shader is messing up with texture coordinates - shifting UVs per each pixel.

Here is the code:

pic.jpg

There is a static switch, so it can be disabled in material instances.

Texture is avalible here.

And the result...

PS I dunno why sound is lagging )

Such a small detail that changes the whole feeling of the game! 

Keep bring up what you've been doing, I really enjoy coming here in this sub and see your work. 

this is called scope shadow

A lot of people buy fancy optics and wonder why they still suck at shooting...

Here is another way to do the same wind effect:

pic.jpg

This one has better depth. In previous case it looks like it shifting left and right, but in this case it moving more like towards/away, but the difference is really subtle.

It adds some problems as well case if you got something else on the textures (for example another cloth variation) it can be seen on certain angles (case it's parallax after all):

pic.jpg

Also this method works better on planar surfaces without any UV stretching.

All this is not a big deal if you use propper surfaces, textures and parameters. And I should say that both methods have problems when you using them on comlex parts of the objects without any proper masking.

So both methods are usable. Perfomance seem like almoust the same, and if we belive shader complexity view mode it seems that a wall on the background has even more perfomance impact then this.

pic.jpg

So I guess this is a last post about this effect.

Edited by FishMan

I love what you did with the optics! What about the effect when you zoom and the only thing that zooms is the scope and not the whole screen? if that makes sense :D

12 hours ago, ARTURi said:

I love what you did with the optics! What about the effect when you zoom and the only thing that zooms is the scope and not the whole screen? if that makes sense

You mean picture in picture?

It's very perfomance heavy, so I guess we can just forget about it.

At least untill someome will figure how to render it quckly...

13 hours ago, ARTURi said:

I love what you did with the optics! What about the effect when you zoom and the only thing that zooms is the scope and not the whole screen? if that makes sense :D

Here's a bit of the history of the scopes discussion here.