Sign in to follow this  
JoeyAirsick

Code names for each Squad member

Hello guys,

I''ve been playing this for quite some time (also did my time in PR) and really enjoy playing as SL. There was one thing I always found a little frustrating - players with super weird unpronouncable names. In certain situations it's super troublesome.

I was thinking everyone could get a code name once they join new squad (ofc you would still have your original nickname visible) for following reasons:

->Makes SLs work easier and you are more likely to adress someone Green Six, rather than UkuleleMaestrzroo4687

->As you get new Code name with joining a different squad player gets the feeling of belonging to it (also because ...->)

->Code names would be, lets say, randomly generated, using for example single syllabe animals, colors, numbers.... So you join a squad and get a code name Shark One

This is really just a basic sketch that popped in my mind while I was trying to adress my squad members and couldn't do it fast and effectively so feel free to let me know if this is just utter stupid idea or something you would like to see implemented in game at some point :)

If you like the idea bring a few thoughts on what code names could be like. Whether you will be assigned one ingame or if it would be bettter to have a generator and you could choose...
So, what do you guys think? :)

Shorten their names! Call them by their role (I do a lot of "Grenadier come to my position")!

Half the guys I know call me "Ass". :D I don't think it's really an issue to warrant a full call sign system. :P

6 minutes ago, Assifuah said:

Shorten their names! Call them by their role (I do a lot of "Grenadier come to my position")!

it's not always that simple... We had 3 rifleman and one one them had a name with many consonants (maybe cyrillic characters) and I couldn't find a way to pronounce it... Also, "immature" names like pu**yslayer etc just ruin the whole mood and it's not fun at all... It can be hilarious in Rocket League but in Squad it's just inappropriate. I believe it's on the hands of the community to keep this part of gameplay experience at decent levels, assigning code names negates the purpose of Steam IDs (we like to be unique!).

Or maybe the SL could before the round, check his squadmate names and see if there is a difficult name to pronounce and if yes suggest an alternative.

for example, lots of player call me CM or CMB instead of CMBelite-FR which is faster and easier to say.

if someone has like hsj464sdfsdfs, maybe you can tell him if its okay to call him HSJ or 464 for example

Squad is all about communication :)

19 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

it's not always that simple... We had 3 rifleman and one one them had a name with many consonants (maybe cyrillic characters) and I couldn't find a way to pronounce it... Also, "immature" names like pu**yslayer etc just ruin the whole mood and it's not fun at all... It can be hilarious in Rocket League but in Squad it's just inappropriate. I believe it's on the hands of the community to keep this part of gameplay experience at decent levels, assigning code names negates the purpose of Steam IDs (we like to be unique!).

Well, yes, you can have multiple medics riflemen grenadiers etc but it's still the same. I mean really, if you want to be unique and have call signs join a unit / clan / group that sets their name in more military style manner.

At the end of the day, it's up to the Squad Leader. I don't really feel a "mood" or feeling at all from things like that in Squad. Now, if it was ARMA I would be flipping the fuck out because in there I'm used to years of milsim style shit but Squad... in Squad I'm too busy getting slayed and enjoying the gameplay to be thinking about immature names or making up call signs.

Another alternative is, make fire teams. You can have 2 fire teams + a SL.

Full system for call signs / code names / assigning something that detracts from the players actual name and forces them into a system that doesn't even fit the game.... meh. 

I come from a solid milsim background where we had ranks (but we weren't motard enough to call each other sir or by ranks), a proper name structure, unit call signs, correct loadout and all that nerdy shit but Squad is just about your general guy. It's about the Squad, quite literally.

I feel like this only has merit for APC crews. For example, in Project Reality I always go ham as the APC Squad Leader. And when I squad lead I usually try to pair up my guys with Callsigns. It's easier to call out an APC crew pair by a callsign, rather than calling out the names of both crewmen inside the specific APC. So for the sake of communication and APC strategy, please! APC Crewmen callsigns would be a godbless >.< 

Like others have said. Take a bit from their name and use that. People wont remember Green Six but in my case I know that Hell means me. 420NoScope1337MLG you could just call 420 or NoScope or something that they will recognise. If they are a specific role just call them medic or whatever they are. I usually don't bother to learn who's in each role and address the role rather than the player.