paul_onesix

GTX 970 upgrade, anything i need to know?

20 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

You are of course right, I just wouldn't buy AMD GPU (or CPU) as I am a Intel/Nvidia fanboy and have read way, way to much thats negative against AMD.

You shouldn't blindly support marketing tricks GimpWorks and overpriced GPUs.

23 minutes ago, RaulO4 said:

being a fanboy is the worst thing to do in every single case known to mankind now the only negative thing ageist AMD (without fanboy shades on) 

1. the same negative thing you find on both sides

I do understand where you are coming from, I just disagree.

Being a fanboy for Intel and NVIDIA gear has served me well, I just get no real issues with performance gaming.

Dozens, I do mean dozens of gamer friends I know well have or have had AMD gear and nearly all of them have issues and swap out for Intel or NVIDIA. (and none have gone Intel/NVIDIA to AMD. Why is that?)

So there is not the same negative elements on both sides, in my experience.

I really push my hardware, and have limited time to muck about I need it to work, so I can game at high FPS with min issues. Intel and NVIDIA do this.

Does it cost a little more, yes it does. Do i care, not at all as I buy last generation second hand gear and always trade so my PC kit costs me next to nothing.

I can respect people who choose AMD stuff, I just won't support it for myself for these reasons.

did you just not read my post at all?

i took my time explaining what is happening in the PC realm you could at least take your time and understand what i wrote for you.

Edited by RaulO4

3 minutes ago, RaulO4 said:

did you just not read my post at all or it went over your head?

i took my time explaining what is happening in the PC realm you could at least take your time and understand what i wrote for you.the solution is to avoid buying Gameworks Games if you could or wait until there is a sell going on.

I read everything you wrote and fully understand your points, I just don't agree or care.

Please understand my points and direct experience - and just accept I prefer Intel and NVIDIA.

I'm ok with you going AMD, crack on.

10 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

I read everything you wrote and fully understand your points, I just don't agree or care.

Please understand my points and direct experience - and just accept I prefer Intel and NVIDIA.

I'm ok with you going AMD, crack on.

you not caring about Gameworks and its effect means you really dont care about gaming market.

all you need to do is simple avoid not buying Gameworks games at launch day to make a statement and wait for a sale. at least in hopes that it make the publisher think 2 time in taking the Bribe of Nvidia. its not about which card is better because in Fact they performed around the same when moves are not being made to directly affect the other gpu. its about the practices.

you put your point out there i directly explain why you are seeing the effects you did. you should not be happy with such action because if you do...the 1070/1080 prices says hello. i also explain that things should be getting better because AMd took hold of the console market and it becoming less ideal to make Gameworks/phsyic X has any main foundation of a game since the console is AMD. this DOES NOT mean AMD will perform better but just that Nvidia will have to bribe harder to continue the same  underhander tactics. you can already see this effect with some latest games where the 900 cards are not 100% killing the 300 like they used too. its now pretty same across the board with 1-5 frames differences.

for the Sum, the point is not what GPU to buy but Why you were seeing the issue AMD had and why those issue are pretty much lowering year by year basis now. 

support Nvidia GPU but please think about what it means to support Gameworks. that is the issue at hand. its not about amd or Nvidia side because that is Fanboy Talk. its about the underhanded move from Gameworks.

Edited by RaulO4

Raul,

I have little faith and next to no trust in any big companies and I am not about to go on a crusade, life is to short.

But good luck to you, and thank you for stating your points in this matter, it is interesting.

I skipped the 900 series and went from GTX 770 to a GTX 1070. SQUAD has everything maxed out and even 150% scale, whilst on 1080p and I'm getting 70+ FPS and some maps can be 110+FPS.

GTX 970 around £150-£230

GTX 980ti around £340

These are used prices ^

GTX 1070 new £420 for AIB, not the FE. The secondary point is my GTX 1070 MSI Gaming X has 8GB as opposed to your 3.5GB on a GTX 970 and that's going to become more of a problem with HD textures. Also the 10 series has a lot of tricks up its sleeves for VR applications too.

I waiting for the 1070 prices to come closer to the MSRP so i can get one myself and move the 480 to my brother.

or maybe...try to get myself a 980ti?

trying to find a good 980ti price but all i see are prices around the 1070 anyways,

Edited by RaulO4

2 minutes ago, RaulO4 said:

I waiting for the 1070 prices to come closer to the MSRP so i can get one myself and move the 480 to my brother.

or maybe...try to get myself a 980ti?

trying to find a good 980ti price but all i see are prices around the 1070 anyways,

£340 from Ebay for used is what you're looking for.

The 980ti and 1070 are quite similar in benchmarks/gaming. The 1070 for around £70-£80 extra.

Just now, Mad Ani said:

£340 from Ebay for used is what you're looking for.

The 980ti and 1070 are quite similar in benchmarks/gaming. The 1070 for around £70-£80 extra.

does ebay have different country control?

from what i am seeing its around 380$ to 450$ Ebay Bids at the moment sadly :( 

2 minutes ago, RaulO4 said:

does ebay have different country control?

from what i am seeing its around 380$ to 450$ Ebay Bids at the moment sadly :( 

I'd buy from your own country, there'd be taxes to pay. Also exchange rates are messed up right now since UK planning to leave EU.

11 minutes ago, Mad Ani said:

I skipped the 900 series and went from GTX 770 to a GTX 1070. SQUAD has everything maxed out and even 150% scale, whilst on 1080p and I'm getting 70+ FPS and some maps can be 110+FPS.

What processor are you using and are you getting that with 72 player servers?

2 minutes ago, Langor said:

What processor are you using and are you getting that with 72 player servers?

i7 4770K and on 72 player servers. 16GB DDR3

My girlfriends PC which was my old one has everything maxed out in SQUAD same as mine. Old PC has i7 950 (1st generation i7's), 12GB DDR3 and GTX 1070 came to around 30-40 FPS, I was shocked. I then slapped VSync on and it jumped up to 60-70 FPS. That made me feel better.

Battlefield 4 on Ultra goes to 150+ FPS or something insane. Definitely 1440p capable card these 1070's.

10 minutes ago, Mad Ani said:

i7 4770K and on 72 player servers. 16GB DDR3

My girlfriends PC which was my old one has everything maxed out in SQUAD same as mine. Old PC has i7 950 (1st generation i7's), 12GB DDR3 and GTX 1070 came to around 30-40 FPS, I was shocked. I then slapped VSync on and it jumped up to 60-70 FPS. That made me feel better.

Battlefield 4 on Ultra goes to 150+ FPS or something insane. Definitely 1440p capable card these 1070's.

Just wondering, you get the same performance I do currently. I wonder if this is the max optimization speeds currently for the game is around 70-120 FPS. When I put my 1080's in my i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz and DDR3 2400, SSD 500GB I get about 10 FPS less. Not much of an improvement between my two systems. (I use my system for work also, didn't build it for Squad)

SLI GTX 1080

i7 6900k (8 core) OC @ 4.4ghz

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 3200

M2. 500GB HD (2700mb/s read)

EDIT: So if what you say is true, right now, a 1070 is probably the cheapest bet for Squad in upgrading a video card at this time and getting the best performance  you can out of this game.

Edited by Langor

2 minutes ago, Langor said:

Just wondering, you get the same performance I do currently. I wonder if this is the max optimization speeds currently for the game is around 70-120 FPS. When I put my 1080's in my i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz and DDR3 2400, SSD 500GB I get about 10 FPS less. Not much of an improvement between my two systems. (I use my system for work also, didn't build it for Squad)

SLI GTX 1080

i7 6900k (8 core) OC @ 4.4ghz

32GB Quad Channel DDR4 3200

M2. 500GB HD (2700mb/s read)

SLI for these cards aren't optimized with drivers yet. That's why you're seeing a negative impact on your computer that must have cost a small fortune. Some games might stutter too. Disable 1 for now until there's an update. There's no reason for SLI 2 x GTX 1080's unless you're going full settings in 4K. I've always steered clear of SLI due to these issues and hassle.

Just now, Mad Ani said:

SLI for these cards aren't optimized with drivers yet. That's why you're seeing a negative impact on your computer that must have cost a small fortune. Some games might stutter too. Disable 1 for now until there's an update. There's no reason for SLI 2 x GTX 1080's unless you're going full settings in 4K. I've always steered clear of SLI due to these issues and hassle.

SLI doesn't work with Unreal 4 in general because of how they pre-render frames. SLI is automatically disabled. Unless manually forcing SLI or creating your own profile, SLI will not work unless Nvidia creates a profile for it (for any game). So having two cards creates no performance impact as the second card is idle. Only DX12 can developers create their own multi GPU profiles.

1 minute ago, Langor said:

SLI doesn't work with Unreal 4 in general because of how they pre-render frames. SLI is automatically disabled. Unless manually forcing SLI or creating your own profile, SLI will not work unless Nvidia creates a profile for it (for any game). So having two cards creates no performance impact as the second card is idle. Only DX12 can developers create their own multi GPU profiles.

Well this post is about the OP and his 970 option vs 1070. Not sure why you had to list your 1080's and then M2. and SSD's as that has no impact on FPS ;) Bragging rights have been denied. :P

OP if I were you, get the 1070 if you can, they're awesome. I waited 3 years until upgrading. I knew about VR coming, been following it for years, so I saved for the 10 series and a Vive, as these cards support VR better. Look at what's coming, look at what you want and what you think you can have in the near and distant future. That's how I gauge what I purchase. Spent a lot of time looking into things and then when the moment is right (just after a gfx card release), the previous cards or 2nd best will be discounted quite substantially.

SLI and Crossfire will be fazed out and DX12 multi gpu support wont happen until the Devs gets a Reason too...which means until AMD makes a console with dual gpu.

for a short explanation on how this is possible $ wise let me explain.

lets use normal gpu for example.

two 480 can get around 1 1080 if Crossfire is fully support/up and running. which cost more? the 1080.

it cost more to create a higher end GPU on one plate than it does to create smaller weaker gpus. you make more, you can sell more, and its cheaper to make. thus creating two weaker gpu to make up one powerful gpu is pretty much what the next console (not the upgrades but the next one) will do.

DX12has a feature  where we the Devs only see one GPU even tho there is two Gpu. they are connected. which means Devs will pretty much Hard code Muti gpu into the Engine itself but until than....Stay....away....from....duel...gpu...set...up for the next 2 - 5 years

edit: unless you doing it for a Game you like to play and know 100% it works. if that is the case and the game means that much to you than sure but at least think about the possiblity of selling/upgrading to a more powerful card before taking the plunge. 

Edited by RaulO4

8 minutes ago, Langor said:

Try using a SLI profile for another UE4 game, people reported good results with Paragon Crossfire profile (AMD, obviously).

1 minute ago, RaulO4 said:

SLI and Crossfire will be fazed out and DX12 multi gpu support wont happen until the Devs gets a Reason too...which means until AMD makes a console with dual gpu.

for a short explanation on how this is possible $ wise let me explain.

lets use normal gpu for example.

two 480 can get around 1 1080 if Crossfire is fully support/up and running. which cost more? the 1080.

it cost more to create a higher end GPU on one plate than it does to create smaller weaker gpus. you make more, you can sell more, and its cheaper to make. thus creating two weaker gpu to make up one powerful gpu is pretty much what the next console (not the upgrades but the next one) will do.

AMD even has DX12 where we the Devs only see one GPU even tho there is two Gpu. they are connected. which means Devs will pretty much Hard code Muti gpu into the Engine itself but until than....Stay....away....from....duel...gpu...set...up

The first real DX12 game, Ashes of Singularity uses DX12 multi GPU. I believe Dues Ex: Mankind Divided will be using multi GPU also. Multiple GPU scaling is very good with DX12 and doesn't have the limitations DX11 did. I see it becoming the norm, especially since it works with both AMD/Nvidia. It should work well with Unreal 4 also. And many, many games work with SLI as of right now. But I didn't build this new computer specifically for games, I use applications that take advantage of multiple GPUs and CPU cores.

Also, the next console from Microsoft was already announced at E3, the Xbox Scorpio (Release date Dec 2017). It will support PC Virtual Reality headsets, run games at native 4k, and said it is equivalent to about a 1070 in performance. Which means on a platform designed just for media and games, it will probably achieve what they are stating.

10 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Try using a SLI profile for another UE4 game, people reported good results with Paragon Crossfire profile (AMD, obviously).

I've tried about 10 SLI profiles from NvInspector. The end result is always the same, at loading I get almost double FPS, then a minute or two into the game it will lower GPU scaling to about 30-50% of each GPU. The problem with SLI is it uses alternate frame rendering, trading frames back and forth between the two GPU's. Unreal 4, functions off of previously rendered frames, and when you split it between two GPU's rendering every other frame, it slows the GPUs down. Nvidia has figured a work around in some other select games, but until they make a profile for this game I don't see it working. I have yet to see anyone post proof of SLI working in Squad with a monitor of actual gameplay (not loading and taking a screenshot). So I am not wasting any more time trying to get it to work for Squad at this time. I am more or less hoping they enable MultiGPU support in DX12 mode and skip the alternate frame rendering SLI all together.

I don't understand how people can get 70+ FPS min on 1080p with scaling at 150% on squad.

With my GTX980ti and [email protected], i  get 45-60 FPS( VSync on) on maxed out setting ( 120% scaling) on squad 72p server, but i'm still CPU limited. So how can a 1070/80 can give you more FPS ?

43 minutes ago, Mad Ani said:

Well this post is about the OP and his 970 option vs 1070. Not sure why you had to list your 1080's and then M2. and SSD's as that has no impact on FPS ;) Bragging rights have been denied. :P

That's the thing though, it should have an impact. And it doesn't. If your 1070 gets the same performance as me with a 4th gen i7 and ddr 3 ram, doesn't that mean maybe he should choose a 1070 over a 970? And yes, many believe on the forums that the CPU has a big impact on the game. So that's why I asked what CPU you had.  I don't think my computer is worth bragging about. There are many out there that are much faster.

5 minutes ago, CMBelite-FR said:

I don't understand how people can get 70+ FPS min on 1080p with scaling at 150% on squad.

With my GTX980ti and [email protected], i  get 45-60 FPS( VSync on) on maxed out setting ( 120% scaling) on squad 72p server, but i'm still CPU limited. So how can a 1070/80 can give you more FPS ?

VSync enabled will not let you go above your monitor refresh rate. Many monitors have a 60hz refresh rate, which means it would limit you to 60FPS. And with my 3770k build at 4.5ghz and 1080, I was getting 65-110fps, usually stayed around 70-75fps mark @100% resolution scaling. Only on my I7-6900 can I get that with 150% scaling and "max graphics".

1 minute ago, Langor said:

That's the thing though, it should have an impact. And it doesn't. If your 1070 gets the same performance as me with a 4th gen i7 and ddr 3 ram, doesn't that mean maybe he should choose a 1070 over a 970? And yes, many believe on the forums that the CPU has a big impact on the game. So that's why I asked what CPU you had.  I don't think my computer is worth bragging about. There are many out there that are much faster.

VSync enabled will not let you go above your monitor refresh rate. Many monitors have a 60hz refresh rate, which means it would limit you to 60FPS. And with my 3770k build at 4.5ghz and 1080, I was getting 65-110fps, usually stayed around 70-75fps mark @100% resolution scaling. Only on my I7-6900 can I get that with 150% scaling and "max graphics".

i was talking about min FPS, i have 45 min and others stated that they have 70+ min FPS, but i'm already CPU limited with the second fastest CPU of the market, so i don't understand how a 1070 could give a boost of 30+ FPS