paul_onesix

GTX 970 upgrade, anything i need to know?

Hey all, I had a faithful old gtx 780 up until a few days ago, when it sponatenously burst in to flame (literally). frames were average-good(35-60) in Squad. 

So im wanting to quickly buy a new 970 before ncix's summer sale ends. heres the one im planning on getting: http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-oc-6d-102012.htm

I just wanna know if anyone sees anything wrong with this particular card, or knows of any performance issues with gtx 970 and squad? Electronic technologist here, so dont be afraid to talk nerdy to me.

It's the card I use. I am pretty fine with it. Any game runs on 4K res. almost on highest settings (BF4 does), maybe BF1 wouldn't as it is always with newer titles.

In Squad it gives me a 20-30fps !  But this is the matter of my AMD CPU. So if you use INTEL CPU you will have a gain of performance. But note:

Last year on cards release there was Ram-gate. The card has a 500mb part of it's RAM connected by a slower bus to the other 3500mb. So have in mind it's by truth a 3,500mb RAM card.

I think you should seriously reconsider spending that amount of money on a new 970 when the Rx480 is coming end of June and should be $199.

Edit:

It doesn't matter if you prefer Nvidia products to AMD at the price/performance the Rx480 should be offering it's going to shake up the gpu costs quite a bit.

Edited by Major Trouble

It's an absolutely hoprrible investment to spend so much money for a 3.5GB card when you have the RX480 launching tomorrow.

Agreed with above about waiting for RX480 release, @paul_onesix it doesn't matter if your not an AMD fan,this will hopefully force Nvidia to lower their prices.

Of course your old faithful has gone up in smoke,so you must be desperate for a new card,waiting might not be the right option for you.

The only 970 worth buying right now is a second hand one I would say. And you need to be ok with the vram mid term for it to make sense.

3 hours ago, CMBelite-FR said:

yes a 1070 is a tad costly than the GTX970 but you'll the performance of a GTX980ti+3% :)

The initial 1070s are pricey. If I remember correctly, however, the custom non-founder iterations will come in around the 350$ range.

dont buy the 970,

the RX 480 8gb is 230$ and comes out tomorrow. all the leaks show its between the 970 and 980 without proper driver. one day is good to wait.

that or spend 400$ on the 1070.

edit: unless you find a 970 for 150$...dont throw your money away.

Edited by RaulO4

The new standard minimum for games will soon be 4GB of VR ram. The 970 was great in its day. But now, you have options for much faster cards. Why upgrade to an outdated card already?

Edited by Langor

I was running squad on epic with a 970 ok, 2500k at 4.3.  Think it's the CPU speed helping here.

5 hours ago, ploddit said:

I was running squad on epic with a 970 ok, 2500k at 4.3.  Think it's the CPU speed helping here.

the point is not that if the 970 can but that the 970 is pretty pointless right now.

the 480 matches/beats it with 8 gb of Vram if he going for around 230$ or if hes price range is around 400$ the 1070 is where its at.

it be a paper launch release again, my bet...8GB 480 would be better than the 1060 6gb Vram version. the only question is...is by how much they are going to try to undercut the price. the second question is...are they going to have supply for the price to not inflate like the 1070/1080.

well even so the 1060 shows how much you should NOT get a 970 anymore. 

Edited by RaulO4

@RaulO4 100% agree, paper launch to counter the iminent Rx480 release. They had to do something to get near the price of the Rx480 otherwise they were going to lose out big style if the Rx480 has the level of performance its rumoured to have. 

i be giving a 480 a shot since i wanted a 8gb of vram...and somehow i sold my 970 for 200$...so i check out how it performs on Squad.

from one of the leaks i found some news on cpu % when use with games and comparing them to the 970.

if i remember right the 480 had its cpu % at 15 to 20% and the 970 at its cpu % at around 35%. (by there cpu i mean the cpu that was being used with the gpu. it was the same) the only problem is that i cant find the information and i dont understand why the cpu % would be different. all i know is that some of the cpu issue that the old R9 cards had with frame skipping/ and the lights from cpu overhead should be gone. 

24 minutes ago, RaulO4 said:

it be a paper launch release again, my bet...8GB 480 would be better than the 1060 6gb Vram version. the only question is...is by how much they are going to try to undercut the price. the second question is...are they going to have supply for the price to not inflate like the 1070/1080.

well even so the 1060 shows how much you should NOT get a 970 anymore. 

You are of course right, I just wouldn't buy AMD GPU (or CPU) as I am a Intel/Nvidia fanboy and have read way, way to much thats negative against AMD.

27 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

You are of course right, I just wouldn't buy AMD GPU (or CPU) as I am a Intel/Nvidia fanboy and have read way, way to much thats negative against AMD.

being a fanboy is the worst thing to do in every single case known to mankind now the only negative thing ageist AMD (without fanboy shades on) 

1. the same negative thing you find on both sides

2. AMD is being rig by Nvidia Gameworks that is design to make AMD cards perform less. they cant Program for it as the code is Black Box meaning not even the Game Devs knowns what happens within the code itself. for example in Crysis 2 there was tons/tons/tons of  tessellation for no reason even when its not on screen just to lower performances of AMD cards or increase the amount of it for no good reason.

true-water-mesh-620.jpg

barrier-side-mesh.jpg

you would be slap if you create a Box with this amount of poly that has zero increases of graphics. this can be seen in the Witcher 3 in Hair works when 8x setting is completely pointless to the 4x version which looks 100% the same way. these example are everywhere you see gameworks or phsicX.

AMD had to create tech to discard poly that are not on the screen to get around this Nvidia attack. so while YES nvidia cards perform better but please understand why they do. also its very important move for AMD to pretty much control the console market. because if they do than the Devs has to program for AMD in hopes that Devs dont use Gameworks on the PC version or has physicX on console will kill the CPU and so on. its why we are starting to see AMD vs Nvidia starting to become where they should be.

edit: just to make sure...if you want the best right now..than the 480 is not for you. the 1070/1080 is. 

edit:...on cpu yea intel is pretty much GG because AMD do not have an answer. its not being a fanboy but cold hard fact. DX12 is only now becoming a thing which uses their 8 core cpu but its been so long that intel with their 4 core is now better than their 8 core. luckly Zen can bring some fight back so we can get price/performances back between them if all goes well 

last edit: dont support Gameworks..not only does it hurt AMD cards but also their own..while they can handle Tessellation better than AMD with their code it still will be killed by 8 plus Time use of it. i know..love my 970 but i will also shut those things off. it got to a point where i will not buy a game with it no matter the gpu i have. 

Edited by RaulO4