Sign in to follow this  
Caterpiller_JSOC

i5 6600K vs i7 6700K

Squad is not fully optimized yet. Watch this, might help you.. I personally don't think it would be worth it, but if you spare the money, you'd probably see a few extra fps.

CPU cores will help if you're streaming and gaming on the same PC or if you're rendering videos. For gaming alone, very rarely does it help as most are GPU intensive. I think some games like ARMA or other CPU heavy games will gain a few FPS. It's not worth it just purely for gaming. Next PC I get in the future I'll go with i5. I currently have i7 4770K, that's because I used OBS to stream and play games on the same PC in the past.

On 6/24/2016 at 0:08 AM, Caterpiller_JSOC said:

currently running a i5 [email protected] on a gigabyte gaming 7 mobo.....wondering if there is fps to gain by buying a 6700K????

There is no FPS gain by buying a 6700k. In fact, you won't see difference between overclocked 6600k/6700k to 4.6 gHz and overclocked 6400 to the same 4.6 gHz. Maybe, just maybe(and that's a very BIG MAYBE) you'll be able to overclock 6600/6700k a little more than 6400, maybe to about 4.8 gHz. But are you ready to pay $185 more for 200 mHz boost? It's about 5 FPS boost in games at best:

7yqe1q.png

Here's the graphic from overclocking web site with average FPS in games. Why would you pay $400 for 6700k when you can buy 6400 for $175 and overclock it to the same 4.6 gHz very easily.

http://overclocking.guide/asrock-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide/

http://overclocking.guide/overclocking-non-k-intel-skylake-cpus-performance-tests/

single.png

Games heavily depend on single-core performanse(IPS). And Squad in particular very dependant on IPC(and not IPS) of a single core(dhrystone). And all Skylakes(i3/i5/i7) has the exact same IPC which equals to 12500 and the same IPS if 2 CPUs work at the same clocks.

And you won't have to spend 1 week to overclock any Skylake to 4.6 gHz. 30 mins at best and congratulations, you just made $185.

Edited by KulaGGin

1 hour ago, KulaGGin said:

Here's the graphic from overclocking web site with average FPS in games. Why would you pay $400 for 6700k when you can buy 6400 for $175 and overclock it to the same 4.6 gHz very easily.

Gotta be careful these days though, intel (being intel) saw that people were not buying their overpriced crap on the K line, and so they strongarmed most motherboard manufacturers into disabling the ability to adjust the BCLK on non K cpus (from what I read)