Sign in to follow this  
FONS

Separate the focus mechanic from the "holding breath" action

I recently watched the development diary #2,

I like the feature of having the ability of having to stances for low magnified scopes like the red dot shown in the video. One "neutral" mantaining a bit of peripheral vision, and other, closer to the scope, focusing just on the reticle at the eye relief distance, taking all the advantage of the magnification of the scope.

What i don't really agree with, is the fact of being forced to hold the breath when doinf this action. I mean, i've shot with red dots irl, and there's no need to hold your breath to focus and get closer to the reticle. I would love to see this features independent from each other.

What do you guys think?

Red dots are not magnified at all in real life...

The breath-holding is a balance thing.

That would just make it unnecessary complicated with different keys and stuff. Again, while the task may be easily accomplish in real life (I also shoot a lot of gun too), video game will have a hard time simulate this without become key bind horror like arma. 

If you're going to have zoom available to simulate focus, I like having it separate and available at all times. If you're searching for enemy and scanning, it shouldn't have to be tied to ads. Right click to zoom at anytime, key bind for hold breath with the option to bind both together if you want.

That would just make it unnecessary complicated with different keys and stuff. Again, while the task may be easily accomplish in real life (I also shoot a lot of gun too), video game will have a hard time simulate this without become key bind horror like arma. 

I think them both having to be bound to the same key is counter-intuitive. I may want to be able to get a better view of something without "exerting" myself, likewise I may also want to stabilize my weapon without zooming in. IMO it should be down to user control preference, if someone's fine with having the same key do both, cool, but I'd like to have the option to separate them.

I ask a honest question. Why there is this "hold breath" functionality implemented in the first place. It is one of those things that really do not add almost anything to the gunplay / aim in ranges we will use it most often, since there just is no dedicated snipers roaming around (shooting ranges in RL no relation to BFx strafe scoping action hero snipers) so the overall gain is pretty minimal. Also it is one of those things a trained shooter would do automaticly anyways, like tying your shoelaces. We are not simulating the finesses of the trigger pull or how to lock your joints or how to twist your body parts to gain more stability to aim etc. etc. so why this "we need to have breath holding feature".

It could be just "balanced" out with some penalties / bonuse differences between stances (crouch, prone, stand) or added and combined (while there is no "hold breath" phase or it is small gain at the beginning) to AIM / ADS.

I'd be satisfied if they just let me zoom in like that without aiming down the sights, like RO2 lets me. Though giving us three separate keybindings would be the best. Like

Focus (zoom & hold breath)

Zoom

Hold Breath

Do you actually hold your breath IRL if you're using a long range weapon?

I practice archery, and one of the things we're taught is not to hold you breath as it causes you to tense up, but rather control your breathing right down to help with sway and lower your heart rate.

Of course there is a few differences between the two, but I always thought that to be the general law with shooting too.

Sorry for coming over so aggressive, but is there anything that isn't "too complicated"? This is sch a recurring thing that something gets suggested and and people come in saying it's too complicated this, would slow teamplay that. Makes me feel like PR/SQUAD players are treated like a bunch of dimwits who have never touched a computer before.

What would be so hard about:

Hold right mouse button to zoom.

Hold shift to hold breath.

This is how it's done in so many other games before and has changed very little. if it's for balance reasons(ew) then fine, but for the love of god can we stop with this "it's too complicated.." bullshit? And of course the ever present "Arma" comparison which so trivial as it really isn't as complicated as so many make it out to be. 

I practice archery, and one of the things we're taught is not to hold you breath as it causes you to tense up, but rather control your breathing right down to help with sway and lower your heart rate.

Of course there is a few differences between the two, but I always thought that to be the general law with shooting too.

Well controlling your breath would be more accurate description I feel.

When I aim I point the sight at the target, then take a deep breath in and hold it, not like you see in games where you hold your breath to locate the target but more to just be stable the split second before I pull the trigger. This is how I do it, so to say I don't hold my breath to stabilize the gun, because I'm already in a stable position, just to get that perfect stable shot. Worked for me every time. Don't believe I described it perfect because I've been shooting for so long I do it automatically without thinking thus making it hard to explain :P

They try to make a little casual but this doesn't looks give any interest to light gamer. neither for hardcore gamer.

if they don't implement server option about zoom for hold breath, able and disable (ofcourse the "ZOOMING" thing in 1.0x dot sight and iron sight), i must say "Good bye SQUAD"

I really like the style of no zooming in iron sight and any other red dot back in the PR, because it give me a challenge and luck that i might can hit the 200~300m far away enemy, and this aggressive and hasty shot could kill the enemy, and i'm really want it to suppress the enemy with my gun and this make me to feel that i'm helping my squad mate by suppressing enemy with this "limited equipment", and i feel joyful in that moment. because i feel that i beat the challenge and also help the teammate to get this game to victory

but asa this zoom thing implented, I 100% guarantee  and DARE to all, people only thinking about their kill count and don't give a damn about team play

I just don't want this game to be that simple and easy like FPS arcades like a BF could be. IMHO the closer the abilities of infantry movement we have in arma the better. The guys that says arma keys are complicated just played less than 50h, because i do them unconciously.

If i am a squad leader, i am going to be reconing more than shooting. And i don't want to be forced to be tired if i want to focus my sight on a far house, and therefore, i don't want to feel forced to focus exclusively on my sight if i am using a red dot, sight that stands out of it's peripheral vision capabilities.

As the majority of this thread said, it would be pretty easy to please every customer, from the most arcadey one, to the most simmer, by simply adding:

1. Zoom: 1 key. e.g. Caps Lock/RMB. You can decide between toggle and not. A guy here said "If i have zoom on iron sights, buy bye squad". Man, the FPS industry is filled with arcades because is what kids like, and lacks a lot sim-cades/sims like arma 3 could be, but this title lacks the fluidity and optimization that this game could achieve with the Unreal Engine 4. I think the devs are not looking to make another arcade, and therefore, i would love to have an option for peripheral vision while ready to shoot, and focused exclusively on the sight.
  2. Hold Breath. e.g. L Shift. Not going to comment the comment that a guy here said that he wants that to be automatic. He must missed the fatigue system preview video.

2 keys, simple right? But hey, if you still wanna please the lazy gamers, as one here said, pretty easy: An option to unify the Breath and the zoom.

Come on guys, the FPS industry is filled with the same repetitive arcade titles, don't try to make this one the same shoot and run bs...

Don't forget that while we don't want an arcady shooter, we also don't want another Arma. Might as well go play that.

However, on this particular topic, I agree that they should be separate :)

IMHO, the arma infantry movement capabilities are awesome. Gives the player so much control of the game body...

I mean, corner? you can move your torso to the sides, also lean, or even switch the weapon of shoulders...

Low-medium wall? You have like 7 height stances...

The person who likes mil-sim, and played more than 20h of arma, would love that capabilites in this game. I sincerely haven't backed because i really don't know if this is going to be a simple arcade like insurgency or something more realistic with more control to the player... 

Only time will tell. But i really see that people expect this to be another battlefield and that's so sad, because how many realistic FPS are out there? i just know arma, and the poor optimization of that title is boring ah.

The person who likes mil-sim, and played more than 20h of arma, would love that capabilites in this game. I sincerely haven't backed because i really don't know if this is going to be a simple arcade like insurgency or something more realistic with more control to the player... 

Poke around the forums and watch the videos. I've got hundreds of hours in ARMA and while I agree that having all that control over your player is cool and one of the things that sets ARMA apart, it's hardly as intuitive as it is IRL and for many people, starts to feel like you're driving a puppet around. I'll happily give that up in exchange for a vibrant MP community, a few standard stances work for me.

Anyway, the devs have repeatedly stated that this game is not going to be ARMA with fluid PvP, nor Insurgency with true CA combat. It will be an evolved version of PR which is it's own animal. That being said, it looks like there will be some MilSim fans playing it in a more MilSim manner, so who knows? You might find your tribe here.

That being said, it looks like there will be some MilSim fans playing it in a more MilSim manner, so who knows? You might find your tribe here.

I have NO doubt that there will be tac-realism servers/mods that take it closer to ARMA.