Hi there, I got an idea for a feature I would really like to see in Squad. Now, I believe this idea is not original and there are already games/mods which use this feature:

Tactical Reload:

You reload the weapon and put the "old" magazine back into your vest if it still contains any bullets.

A lot slower then Speed Reload but you'll save the magazine which you can then use later.

Speed Reload:

Eject the magazine and let it fall to the ground, discarding it.

This reload is a lot faster than the Tactical Reload however you'll lose the magazine (and the rounds left in it).

I could imagine tapping R once for are Speed Reload and holding R for the Tactical Reload would work ingame.

What are your guys thoughts on this? I think it would be a great feature and possibly not too hard to implement.

If anyone knows games which have Speed & Tactical Reload as feature, post them into this thread!

Edit: Caligari made a great suggestion, adding Check ammo and better possible control schemes.

Hey, I also suggested this in an earlier thread! Here's my ideas, for reference.

• Quick Reload: Standard reload behavior in PR: Tap [R] to perform a quick reload. Drops current magazine completely, regardless of remaining rounds. Additionally, automatically charges the weapon, even if a round already in chamber (loses the spare).
  • Tactical Reload: Double-tap [R} to perform a slower reload, putting partial magazines back in inventory for later use. Checks chamber before charging to preserve +1 round advantage. Rewards careful players.
  • Check Ammo: Hold [R] to check chamber for a loaded round and/or clear a jam (if jams included). Continue holding to remove magazine and check remaining rounds, with mag window or subtle visual indication of weight. Releasing [R] at any time reverts back to last fire-ready state.

Only uses the one same reload key, players don't have to use the extra features if they don't want, and it'll still play just like standard PR.

Realism wise you would never just dump a mag and leave it on the ground. Think of the poor SQ's who are diffi a load of magazines!

Realism wise you would never just dump a mag and leave it on the ground. Think of the poor SQ's who are diffi a load of magazines!

Well it depends on the situation. Combat reloads, yeah you probably would just drop the mag to insert a fresh one. Tactical reloads you place the used magazine in back of the litter and bump the fresh ones closer to you. Mostly you would probably save the spent magazine in a dump pouch or in a empty pouch.

We got chewed up if we were diffi any mags! The times I needed to quickly change mags I just dropped it down my plate carrier and slapped a new one in.

Hahaha I can imagen in a war zone being shot at your LT shouts at you saying pick up your mag and your like hold on guys let me pick up my mag ....... Okay I'm good to go back to war arghhhhhh !

Fair point.

But I don't think that this feature depends on whether the practice is used by current military or not. I mean, you're not only playing only as a western military force in Squad.

If Speed Reload would be really such an immersion breaker for some folks, then I guess it could be a server option whether to allow or disallow Speed Reloads.

Allowing the player to choose if he wants to do a Tactical or Speed Reload would give the player more control and add a somewhat unique feature to Squad and Squad needs those if it wants to stand out even more  from the tactical shooters that have been released recently (Insurgency comes to my mind).

How hard/time consuming would it be to implement? Just the mechanic no animations or anything.

We got chewed up if we were diffi any mags! The times I needed to quickly change mags I just dropped it down my plate carrier and slapped a new one in.

RQMS tend to not like when you lose controlled stores. This ^, dumping mags is stupid. You'd have to be in serious trouble for that to ever happen.

IIRC, I have suggested PR2 Devs back in 2013 a multi-function mapping, for a whole set of different actions.For example, in what concerns Reloading, pressing "R" once (or twice, for mistaken sake) would do a Standard Reload, pressing it rapidly would do a Quick Reload, and holding the button would bring up the "reload menu" on the screen, something like a Commo Rose, that allow you to pull the magazine and check it up, put it on the end of the queue (instead of just discarding), reload to a specific magazine, give this magazine to ally players, etc, etc...Standard Reload (5 seconds), eject the old mag, store it, pickup a new mag, reload the weapon.Standard Reload (2 seconds), pickup a new mag, eject the old mag to the ground, reload the weapon.

Hey, I also suggested this in an earlier thread! Here's my ideas, for reference.

• Quick Reload: Standard reload behavior in PR: Tap [R] to perform a quick reload. Drops current magazine completely, regardless of remaining rounds. Additionally, automatically charges the weapon, even if a round already in chamber (loses the spare).
  • Tactical Reload: Double-tap [R} to perform a slower reload, putting partial magazines back in inventory for later use. Checks chamber before charging to preserve +1 round advantage. Rewards careful players.
  • Check Ammo: Hold [R] to check chamber for a loaded round and/or clear a jam (if jams included). Continue holding to remove magazine and check remaining rounds, with mag window or subtle visual indication of weight. Releasing [R] at any time reverts back to last fire-ready state.

Only uses the one same reload key, players don't have to use the extra features if they don't want, and it'll still play just like standard PR.

[*]Quick Reload: Standard reload behavior in PR: Tap [R] to perform a quick reload. Drops current magazine completely, regardless of remaining rounds. Additionally, automatically charges the weapon, even if a round already in chamber (loses the spare).

[*]Tactical Reload: Double-tap [R} to perform a slower reload, putting partial magazines back in inventory for later use. Checks chamber before charging to preserve +1 round advantage. Rewards careful players.

I'd swap the reload actions; slow reload on R and fast on double-tap. That way if someone's being absentminded they won't be throwing rounds away. Frantically hitting R sounds more like it should be a fast reload to me :P

Though I'm not sure that this functionality is very compelling right now. It would seem like less effort and more realistic to simply make dry reloads take longer than tactical reloads automatically.

Aside from Standard Reload and Quick Reload, I think that holding "R" should bring up the ammo menu, which give you some extra options, like check magazine, give ammo to a specific player nearby, and reload to a specif magazine.I made a simple script in order to illustrate the idea.http://jsfiddle.net/j50bzj3L/7/

what about an arma - like option for repacking your mags.If theres a lull in the fight might not be a bad option.

Well, my rationale is that single-tap is faster and more mindless, hence sloppy and lossy, and you don't need to think about it if you're in a hurry and trying to run at the same time. Reversing the taps would tie up your index finger for an extra keystroke when you might need to be side-stepping. Besides, we don't conserve mags in PR anyway, so it's not like it would hurt players any. A double-tap tctical reload rewards slower, more conservative gameplay, which I think is sorely needed.

It is not a single press / double press issue, but more a "normal press" and a "desperate press" when you press R faster multiple times to reload quickly.Also "we don't conserve mags in PR anyway", speak for yourself. I am constantly checking my magazine and saving bullets, because almost EVERY TIME I am out of ammo, no body around have ammo bags to give, or I am a few meters from my friends. AR and MG are the ones that consume the ammo bags from the whole squad.I want to be able to save my ammo and exchange to specifics magazines SO MUCH that I would even pay an extra for this feature separately.

No no no, I mean that reloading in PR drops the current mag, no matter how much is left in it. The single-press quick-reload feature would behave exactly like PR, so there's no additional penalty for players to play like they normally do, BUT adding depth to the mechanic with the double-tap rewards them above and beyond for taking the extra time. Also, I should mention that the double-tap should be slower, like Tap...tap, not tap!tap!

I do think the "R" types should be flipped. On tap is slow reload, double tap is quick reload. Why? If I was panicking, I would spam "R" profusely to reload as soon as I can. Would be shitty if my panic reload turned out to be a slow tactical reload :P

i tend to agree. single = normal. dbl = rapid. but the solution here is simply ensuring we can map the keys to our liking.

I absolutely hate that I can lose a full magazine in Project Reality upon reloading. What if I forget that I've reloaded and I lose a nearly full magazine? I don't understand how this is realistic. In a battle I am going to save every bit of ammunition that I am able to save, because at some point I may need it. In what world would I take my magazine with ten rounds left and throw it on the ground? It just doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

In what world would I take my magazine with ten rounds left and throw it on the ground? I

The idea behind Speed Reload is that you might be sometimes in situations where you'd like to choose reloading faster over saving the remaining bullets.

It takes longer to put the old magazin back into your vest and then to get a new magazin then it would with simply letting the old magazin fall to the ground.

why not add 2 types of reaload?

-hit R once: normal reload, you dont loose the expended mag

-hit R twice: fast reload, magazine drops to the floor, can be picked up again later.

-hold R: magazine check, if empty/half/full. If its a transparent Magazine (g36), the number of rounds remaining should be displayed.