Sign in to follow this  
Chuc

Development Diary #2

This quote is a really terrible argument, though...

Why?

Who would ever have made this argument in the first place? This seems like a strawman argument.

Uhhh, I told you who wrote the post?....This is his steam profile https://steamcommunity.com/id/rammjaeger He's the boss man of TWI (Trip Wire Interactive) 

Again seems like another poor strawman with a slippery slope thrown in for good measure.

Care to elaborate?

I sure wish I could see how any of these irrelevant arguments have anything to do with zoom...

Did you even bother reading any of it? The entire thread is about weapon zoom, that part you highlighted in that post is part of that thread and totally relevant to the topic.

Who is arguing for 20x zoom? The purpose of the zoom isn't to replicate the resolution of the human eye, it's to compensate for average size and distance from a monitor while playing.

No one is arguing for 20x zoom, that's simply an assumption you have made, which is wrong. The rest of you're quote otherwise confirms what that quote I originally posted already says, I don't know why you'd try and disagree with it and then go on to confirm what was already written.

Again seems like another poor strawman with a slippery slope thrown in for good measure.

Huh?

I'm going to have to start referring to this as "appeal to realism", aka dismiss the argument via an arbitrary subjective determination of what is "unrealistic".

Well by using that logic everyone in the thread is also wrong, since it's all subjective anyway right? And 90% of the rest of the threads on this entire forum.

This is not what made PR "tough". Hell, that wasn't even tough in the first place. You know what made it hard to hit things in PR? Deviation.

Ok, what is 'this'? I have no idea what you're trying to refer to there..... :huh:

Making the argument that a marginal, temporary zoom effect makes the game casual is absolutely the silliest argument I've heard made in a long time. 

How can it NOT? You're making aiming and targeting significantly easier by adding in a new feature and given that infantry squad based combat makes up the core of the entire game if that doesn't constitute casual than nothing does.

Fact of the matter is that with iron sights (and aimpoint) noone has been able to effectively engage anyone beyond 50m, which we all can agree is not very realistic at all. By compensating for the lack of reality in the monitors ability to display human FOV, a slight FOV shift (percieved to be "MAAAGICALLL ZOOOM") we actually make things more realistic and allow people to attempt to engage targets beyond 60m with some chance of success.

Having no FOV shift at all, is incredibly unrealistic in terms of portraying the weapons' and soldiers' actual capabilities, the thing holding back this realism is the monitor, so we do the responsible thing and make an ever so slight compensation, and only when you stop to focus your aim.

Sure, it narrows your vision, so you have to make the choice - full awareness and poor chances of hitting anything at medium range and beyond, or have a slight chance of doing it reliably but not having full awareness - just like real life. You are not an omnipotent god of war.

I think this is a "darling" that is hard for people to kill for some reason. We don't hear complains about how re spawning is unrealistic :)

Besides, it is still VERY much a challenge to even attempt engagements at that range due to weapon sway, stamina, moving targets, targets firing back ect ect.

Just chill and wait to try it before throwing all your theory at the argument.

I rather have slight zoom instead of pixel hunting like in PR. It works well enough for arma and with good reason. Squad even has a more "conservative" approach to it, it takes time to zoom and requires Stamina, and is tied with holding your breath.

Since a serious Boot Camp Suppression Article hasn't come up yet. Could you spoil us a lil' Ross?

You could even just use one word! Anything! But don't be cheap by giving an adjective.

Sure, snaps/cracks will be tied into suppression and will replicate the "oh shit, someone just fired at me" muscle tension (weapon flinch that throws off accuracy), followed by a type of "focus" (depth of field, tunneling type effect, possibly some audio manipulation) and calm that will last for a few second (still stuff to be determined). 

The team spent about 5 hours simply listening to me explain an actual warriors response to such stimulus, then we discussed ways we can replicate that to make a somewhat new and unique system. We will be toying around with it once the concept is realized ingame and things can always change if we don't like it.

We will go into more detail in the future when things progress on that front.

This zoom in feature feature takes away all of that and makes it dead easy from the get go, I don't know maybe that's what the devs want, another totally accessible game for the masses.

We do want a low barrier to entry, but a high skill ceiling. I know you probably don't have access to our game, but our current system is not easy at all, even when the FOV shift was tied directly to ADS.

Now, it is part of the "focus" mechanic, has been toned down, and you can only do it for six seconds, after which your sight sway increases significantly for a limited time before settling, so you better make your 4-5 shots count. After approx. 75-100ms, it is pretty hard to hit anything even when focusing, trust me, it is not making it "too casual". When the damage models and ballistics come in, it will make it even harder.

little question, why the LAW before the AT4 for the us army?

yeah im curious about this too

Is it possible to add an option when you ads, the magical zoom takes place automatically just like on BF4

There's no such feature in BF4. In that game when you ADS, that's it. That the most you can zoom and the most you can focus your weapon. While maybe not realistic, the focus zoom does make things a bit more skill based IMO

There's no such feature in BF4. In that game when you ADS, that's it. That the most you can zoom and the most you can focus your weapon. While maybe not realistic, the focus zoom does make things a bit more skill based IMO

I do think so, someone post a video on it

Is it possible to add an option when you ads, the magical zoom takes place automatically just like on BF4

That was sort of the way Squad had it before the focus function, no?

http://youtu.be/LtTvoczwJRc

That Guy is running at 120 FOV then when ads, it automatically reduce the FOV = zoom, that is a good balance between full awareness to spot enemies and then when ads, it reduce your FOV get better change hitting targets at +60m.

What does squad Devs thinks about this ?

http://youtu.be/LtTvoczwJRc

That Guy is running at 120 FOV then when ads, it automatically reduce the FOV = zoom, that is a good balance between full awareness to spot enemies and then when ads, it reduce your FOV get better change hitting targets at +60m.

What does squad Devs thinks about this ?

I must be missing something because this is exactly what the devs said was a problem. Watch the developer diary video again at 13 seconds.

Also running 120 fov isn't realistic either IMO

I must be missing something because this is exactly what the devs said was a problem. Watch the developer diary video again at 13 seconds.

Ah I got it, they implemented like bf4 before, but now when holding the shift key it will zoom.

Well, most realistic would be running at 190 FOV with a curved screen.

I guess, that's why we need StarVR which will have 210 FOV (so no black bars)