gunbattle

back blast (and tank fire)

PR never had back blast but it is a real thing that can be lethal on the modern battlefield. i hope the UE4 engine can allow SQ devs to include it into the game--i think the devs will put it in eventually if it can be done. and if SQ eventually (hopefully very soon) has back blast that would require a new level of tactical and combat awareness, and it would encourage teamwork. how? well b4 u fire an AT4 or rpg, reconciles rifle, etc u have to be sure no friendlies are behind u (im not sure of the area of affect of the back blast maybe some1 can help with that) so u dont kill them and u cant fire it from a position like enclosed room or a wall too close to your back because then u die, and friendlies too close to u. so the back blast weapon guy has to get on the mic and let friendlies near by know they need to fn move and to choose his positions to fire from carefully or there will be fail. because back blast is thus so significant to the platoon size combat that SQ will provide that realistic back blast be pushed higher up the priority ladder. this of course applies to tanks (and to other cannons?), except instead of back blast it is the concussion and sound at the end of the cannons' barrel when firing that would do the damage. all realistically done too of plz. this CAN be one of the best games ever created--along the ranks of PR!

rpg-firing_2025951i.jpg

I agree with the back blast from various rocket launchers. Not so sure about anything to do with tanks, I wouldn't miss it if it's not there, as it's rare an INF squad in moving that close to a tanks barrel. 

From what I hear, standing too near to/in front of a typical MBT cannon has enough force to cause concussion, or worse.

no sane soldier would stand in front of an operational tank but even standing behind one like the M1 is kind of impossible because of its very hot engine exhausts, let alone the cannon mini shockwave, which can cause concussions, yes.

i like the idea of recoilless launchers backblast though. it'd be cool to see the ones that use soft launch or have reduced backblast like the AT4CS at an advantage in urban warfare.

Also theres the fact that tank shells break apart upon leaving the barrel.  You wouldnt want to be hit by the shell pieces either, regardless of the concussion. Posted Image

Depends on the shell Wrecker, but yes. I wouldn't want to be closer than 15-20 meters away from an operational tank (fear of getting run over if anything, real bad visibility and all - though I've stood under multiple operational jets.. I confuse myself sometimes), let alone in-front of it :L 

Depends on the shell Wrecker, but yes. I wouldn't want to be closer than 15-20 meters away from an operational tank (fear of getting run over if anything, real bad visibility and all - though I've stood under multiple operational jets.. I confuse myself sometimes), let alone in-front of it :L 

Eventually, I'd like to see the British army's highly explosive squash head tank rounds in the game, with reduced effectiveness versus MBTs but increased vs occupied structures, even if there is no structural destruction in the game. would be interesting in INS maps.

Eventually, I'd like to see the British army's highly explosive squash head tank rounds in the game, with reduced effectiveness versus MBTs but increased vs occupied structures, even if there is no structural destruction in the game. would be interesting in INS maps.

I suggested this for PR on the forums. Not sure why they use HEAT as it's completely erroneous. Britain hasn't ever fielded a HEAT round since perhaps WW2.HESH rounds are still effective against MBT's, but it is limited to areas such as the top of the turret and the rear of the tank (basically unprotected thin armour without ERA). It's pretty terrifying being in a tank when a 120mm explosive round hits the outside. In WW2 the SU-152 would defeat Tigers simply by "liquidating" the inside crew with it's 152mm high explosive round. Pretty grim. Back blast and concussive effects would be a nice touch. It'll be funny to watch people shoot an RPG inside a small room and mortally wound themselves with the back blast.

I think in the future we could certainly have a back-blast / heavy concussive type effect on both tanks and rocket type weapons, but I would also be hesitant to have it cause serious health effect in a true 1:1 game:life manner.

I would think that having it simply seriously block your hearing for a period of time (with some ringing playing) and maybe a minor effect on health would have the same immersive impact.

I would really like to have this ingame. 

Agreed with Merlin, block of hearing and maybe some blurr for a few seconds if you are to close. 

maybe some minor bleeding aswell.

I suggested this for PR on the forums. Not sure why they use HEAT as it's completely erroneous. Britain hasn't ever fielded a HEAT round since perhaps WW2.HESH rounds are still effective against MBT's, but it is limited to areas such as the top of the turret and the rear of the tank (basically unprotected thin armour without ERA). It's pretty terrifying being in a tank when a 120mm explosive round hits the outside. In WW2 the SU-152 would defeat Tigers simply by "liquidating" the inside crew with it's 152mm high explosive round. Pretty grim. Back blast and concussive effects would be a nice touch. It'll be funny to watch people shoot an RPG inside a small room and mortally wound themselves with the back blast.

HESH rounds would be effective against older tanks without spaced armour as well. They would work well against the MEC's T-72s in PR. Wondering why they didnt implement them there.

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't put you down low health (around black and white in PR). 

Posted Image

I suspect it may not be ideal to do a realistic back blast area though, ideally you want to be further than 70 meters away for the LAW, with the first 40 metres being the most dangerous part. However it might be a little annoying if you're 15 meters behind a guy and it puts you on low health. Maybe Reducing this to a 30 degree cone out to 7-metres might be enough immersion and limit those annoying people who don't shout clear..

I'll be disappointed if it doesn't put you down low health (around black and white in PR). 

Posted Image

I suspect it may not be ideal to do a realistic back blast area though, ideally you want to be further than 70 meters away for the LAW, with the first 40 metres being the most dangerous part. However it might be a little annoying if you're 15 meters behind a guy and it puts you on low health. Maybe Reducing this to a 30 degree cone out to 7-metres might be enough immersion and limit those annoying people who don't shout clear..

pretty much exactly this ^^^, plz!

no back blast will kill immersion, it is not something to ignore if realism is the goal. the PR devs wanted it but u know hardcode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouScnB-F-6k

wow that rebel (probably from lybia or syria) probably died or has permanent brain damage. i dont think having the back blast be so inconsequential that ppl are generally careless about firing a weapon w back blast is very realistic. i would really like to hear a soldier or insurgent whatever player call out on the mic "clear for back blast! firing!" [bOOOOOM--PPSSHHEEEEWWWWW] :)

I think in the future we could certainly have a back-blast / heavy concussive type effect on both tanks and rocket type weapons, but I would also be hesitant to have it cause serious health effect in a true 1:1 game:life manner.

i agree it should not be oc a 1:1 true to life damage in Squad either. somewhere in between

it'd be cool to see the ones that use soft launch or have reduced backblast like the AT4CS at an advantage in urban warfare.

i know what weapon youre talking about, but i think it would be a little too special forces-ish

So many trolling opportunities, I love it :P

180° RPG Backblast squad wipe, hehe.

So many trolling opportunities, I love it :P

180° RPG Backblast squad wipe, hehe.

according to DRk Reaper's post its 30 degrees ;)

i know what weapon youre talking about, but i think it would be a little too special forces-ish

it's not special force-ish at all. i believe it's issued instead of the regular AT4 to units in urban settings. it's also less effective than the regular version, having a lower projectile velocity.

This looks pretty neat, from a immersion view it would be very realistic, but maybe a bit too much, and on the production side i feel like making this would be a bit complicated!

Honestly I don't think it's too realistic at all. Too realistic, as it has been mentioned, would be having to worry about backblast from 70m away (or maybe 40m). I fully believe that within a 5-10 meter zone should be seriously injure/knockdown zone.

Honestly I don't think it's too realistic at all. Too realistic, as it has been mentioned, would be having to worry about backblast from 70m away (or maybe 40m). I fully believe that within a 5-10 meter zone should be seriously injure/knockdown zone.

yea exactly. the only question then would be how much damage would it deal?

as death squad pointed out it could be deadly. here's another video but it does not mean that in SQ it should be as deadly

I agree, make it a relevant gameplay mechanic. Yet, balance it in a way to ensure coherent flow in combat and create unnecessary obstacles. 

I don't know yet how the medic system will function but I think it should somehow knock out the player but also give him a pretty serious wound