SandSukka

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam!!!!

My hope is that this is just to tide of over for awhile while they secretly work on RO3 Western Front on the UE4 engine

That's my problem with this. A Vietnam game deserves better than this, especially when this is being sold as a standalone sequel to Rising Storm. Had this just been an expansion, I would have been a little less disappointed with them just sticking to UE3 and Rising Storm's gameplay. But to have this game sold as a standalone and be still only on the same engine when UE4 is out is just inexcusable in my opinion and an injustice to the Vietnam era. Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm just not impressed by this at all.   

Tripwire is a very successful company so if they wanted to they could fund a proper game.  Meanwhile here you have the Squad devs with no money working hard on making a very ambitious UE4 title, with working vehicles almost already implemented (which btw is not even in Rising Storm!). Tripwire use to be a very good game studio but in my opinion they've just become very lazy and I'm sure its rubbing off on AMG. 

LugNut   

I wouldn't call it lazy, it is a good business decision, they can reuse a lot of assets. I think it would have been smarter to call it an expansion, which would lower expectations as to the number of maps, vehicles, SP, all that stuff and sneak it in before they are forced to go to UE4. They could sell it cheaper than a new game and everyone would be happy. I'd hope they'll go to at least UE4 for RO3, it'll be 3 years out likely since they're still focused on KF2 and AMG will be tied up with this.

I wouldn't call it lazy, it is a good business decision, they can reuse a lot of assets. I think it would have been smarter to call it an expansion, which would lower expectations as to the number of maps, vehicles, SP, all that stuff and sneak it in before they are forced to go to UE4. They could sell it cheaper than a new game and everyone would be happy. I'd hope they'll go to at least UE4 for RO3, it'll be 3 years out likely since they're still focused on KF2 and AMG will be tied up with this.

No doubt they are playing it safe and making a smart business decision. The problem is that if every game developer played it safe there would be no innovation but just expansion/sequel reskins. To make a great new game there is risk involved and Tripwire has the funds to afford a misstep here and there. 

I guess maybe I should just give up on Tripwire for now and no longer expect the type of game I want to come from them. Its been made clear that they just want to focus more on fast paced infantry gameplay and less on CA and teamwork. Before RO2, just based off of RO1, I would have been ecstatic that Tripwire was working on a Vietnam era game, now I'm just meh... 

LugNut   

Its been made clear that they just want to focus more on fast paced infantry gameplay and less on CA and teamwork. Before RO2, just based off of RO1, I would have been ecstatic that Tripwire was working on a Vietnam era game, now I'm just meh... 

Yup, I'm in the same boat. I'd much rather see this game modded to WW2 or Vietnam. I don't think FE or In Country has the resources to make either game happen in a reasonable timeframe.

No doubt they are playing it safe and making a smart business decision. The problem is that if every game developer played it safe there would be no innovation but just expansion/sequel reskins. To make a great new game there is risk involved and Tripwire has the funds to afford a misstep here and there. 

I guess maybe I should just give up on Tripwire for now and no longer expect the type of game I want to come from them. Its been made clear that they just want to focus more on fast paced infantry gameplay and less on CA and teamwork. Before RO2, just based off of RO1, I would have been ecstatic that Tripwire was working on a Vietnam era game, now I'm just meh... 

Exactly man, that is my thought also.

RO2 was a big big fail for me when it came out, and by the time Classic mode came out I lost all interest in the game, I feel that this RIsing Storm 2 will be the same, they will add unlocks , hero players that run faster and all the CODish shit that we see in most of the games today.

I am more hyped about ARMA 3 with the new island Tanoa I will get my vietnam fix there after I download a vietnam mod and enjoy a proper Vietnam experience that will make me hate foliage.

I don't think FE or In Country has the resources to make either game happen in a reasonable timeframe.

Its such a shame that the top two mod teams from RO who have a great vision for games are both running into so much trouble. I know the FE devs had serious internal turmoil (losing at least half its team). Not sure what the deal with ICV is. 

Polansk   

Hehehehehe, I coaxed Popsmoke out of their shell.
Set up a cloud of confusion by addressing Rising Storm 2.
WHOOP THEY'RE STILL IN DEVELOPMENT! 
+1 for me.

LugNut   

It's probably the same. Being in a volunteer organization myself, I know the process that often unfolds if people aren't employees and the expectations that come with that. Everyone over promises, underestimating the long, long term commitment they are making as real life unfolds. Not enough gets done and if anyone starts trying to crack the whip, drama ensues and you eventually end up with a too small core of people grinding away towards burnout.

I have to say, it's very impressive how large and long lived the PR modding community has been, as well as ARMA's. The group of Devs here are solid and doing it right, which leaves me confident that we will see a worthwhile game in an appropriate timeframe that will only expand and improve moving forward.

Yup, so they say. We'll see....

Hehehehehe, I coaxed Popsmoke out of their shell.

Set up a cloud of confusion by addressing Rising Storm 2.

+1 for me.

haha yeah I'm very interested to see how they will react to this. For a long time they had no competition and now since Tripwire/AMG are joining in it will push Popsmoke to get themselves out there more. More importantly, I'm interested to see if Popsmoke makes changes to their game design to better differentiate themselves from Rising Storm 2. Currently, almost all of the information about the game (very little as of now) is from when the game was just a mod and limited to Red Orchestra 2's play-style and engine. 

Oh, so it's a proper sequel this time?

I hope the maps aren't still so tiny this time around. RO2/RS were beautiful games with some very innovative features but altogether they just don't compare to PRBF2 for a co-operative gameplay experience.

Will buy this very early. I haven't paid even 10 € for RO2/RS and played this that much I started to feel bad about it and thought about getting some merchandise allready. Of course I hope it's going to be as nice as both other games are and better to have it on UE3.X with less work for them than having nothing till there is hopefully coming a new RO3 with state of the art. Bet it's not THAT simple to change the engine but I'm not a developer or sth. so maybe I'm wrong. At least they have really surprised me - haven't thought to hear they are working on new war stuff this early.

They must feel so betrayed. I wonder how it played out

I took a look at their Facebook page, they said that they did not play any part in the development of this expansion. Although, they are still working on their own game in UE4. So, that's something to look forward to!

I do have to say that I am worried for them though. I feel that when they try to release their own game it will be overshadowed by RO2: Vietnam and possibly called a copycat game.

Or, instead of recreating the same assets that were in RO2 for no reason at all, they can spend more time and money actually innovating and improving the gameplay. I think I know what I'd rather.

Or, instead of recreating the same assets that were in RO2 for no reason at all, they can spend more time and money actually innovating and improving the gameplay. I think I know what I'd rather.

Geeze, I hope the make gameplay changes. I sort of assumed they would but that might have been foolish of me. RO2 is a great game but so much room for improvement, especially in team play and squad cohesion. Hardly anyone works as a squad and it's completely due to the gameplay mechanics.

yeah WW1 would've been cool, (since verdun is basically COD)

but this... i didn't expect.

looks like in country:vietnam is going to have some strong opponents. 

TAR4C   

I love the Red Orchestra and Rising Storm games....but this seems more like an addon than a new game. The graphics disappoint me to be honest.

I love the Red Orchestra and Rising Storm games....but this seems more like an addon than a new game. The graphics disappoint me to be honest.

How so? Rising Storm would probably be more of an add-on as it is still set during World War 2. How can you say its an add-on when all we've seen is one trailer? Personally I think the particles and effects weren't* all that great, but that doesn't mean its an add-on or that it's not still being worked on