SandSukka

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam!!!!

Beta Wave 6 started today. Excited to try it out and give some thoughts. Seems like a game that's on the right track so far. 

42 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

Only way to get key is by signing up for it on their page, right?

Correct.

1 hour ago, Melbo said:

Hue City map....good grief it is amazing.

I hate when people always seem to vote for it though, any semi-competent OPFOR can just spawncamp the US all round and it doesn't have much of a Vietnam feel until you pass the bridge, which often doesn't happen.

Very much enjoying the beta so far. This last update has really optimized the game and I love the audio so far minus the usual audio glitches here and there. It can be a tad fast in its pacing but all in all the gameplay has been fun. Weapons feel appropriate and there seems to be a good balance. Plenty of action and the team play can be a blast. My only gripe is how much the team has to rely on a proactive commander. If your commander blows making pushes becomes impossible. Otherwise for me a solid 8/10 for a beta. Can't wait to see how the game polishes up towards release. 

Certainly is good fun. The feel of the weapons handling is great. I've missed my manual bolting too!

I don't think Tripwire ever really understood why the first Red Orchestra was popular to begin with. Or they did and decided it wasn't a profitable enough niche to pursue and instead decided to try and pull in some of the CoD crowd for the sequel. Rising Storm was much better than vanilla RO2 because the smaller maps and run and gun style gameplay felt out of place on the eastern front but was well suited to the jungles and atolls of the pacific theater. I think that style of gameplay will feel right at home in Vietnam as well. 

That being said, Tripwire doesn't make games in the style of the original Red Orchestra and I highly doubt they ever will again. Squad really does feel like a more modern incarnation of the original RO style gameplay and that's why I love it. I would love it even more if it was set on the eastern front, but I'm just glad to have a spiritual successor to RO. I can't wait for them to add bolt action rifles to Squad so I can remember those long gone days of watching an enemy 400 yards away drop with well aimed round using only iron sights.

Yup, I doubt they'll ever make anything close to the original RO again. Still, what we have now is still fun.

I just love some of the panic moments that come up in gameplay. That plus a nice reshade preset and this has really been a blast to play so far. RS2 beta plus the eventual release of V9 is literally going to eat all my time hahaha

I played the initial beta when it came out several months ago and wasn't very enthusiastic about the game. However, this 6th iteration has really seen some polish from the devs. It's definitely a faster pace, but than Squad, but it still has the same feel because the engagements happen at longer range. Semi-auto is the way to go, and you really need to control your bursts if using a full auto.

The audio is fantastic. Very immersive when a variety of helos, spooky gunships and scout planes are flying overhead, all while artillery bombardments and F4 Phantoms are doing a napalm run! It gets a little intense.

They really could use some upgraded VOIP tech in the game though. You can talk directly to your squad or the entire team. So you will here comms the whole round, whether or not they are relevant to your situation.

I played last night as a radio man for the commander and just followed him around wherever he went. He was able to use my radio to set markers and call in specific attacks. Very cool gameplay.

When is this supposed to come out?  I just signed up a week or two ago so I doubt I'll get in on any of the beta.

7 hours ago, Converge said:

When is this supposed to come out?  I just signed up a week or two ago so I doubt I'll get in on any of the beta.

Pretty sure Early Access will be after this beta wave. From how they've panned it out it looks like it'll be beta wave 6 then a break for more polish and development followed by RS2 moving to Steam early access. After that I feel release won't be until around Q4 2017. 

To correct my last statement, it looks like there will be a Beta Wave 7 in April prior to Steam Early Access. Info courtesy of WCCFTECH. 

14 hours ago, Fandango831 said:

To correct my last statement, it looks like there will be a Beta Wave 7 in April prior to Steam Early Access. Info courtesy of WCCFTECH. 

Sweet, thanks for the clarification.

I know this is beating the dead horse, but if anyone has any keys to give away this original RO player would surely appreciate it.

I did an impressions video for RS2 based on my point of view as someone who has been playing Red Orchestra since the original mod version. It's the first time I've done a video like this though so please let me know what you think :)

17 minutes ago, SiC said:

I did an impressions video for RS2 based on my point of view as someone who has been playing Red Orchestra since the original mod version. It's the first time I've done a video like this though so please let me know what you think :)

Really enjoyed your impressions of the beta so far. I agree with a great many of your points. All in all a decent  and unbiased overview of the game in its current state. 

Cheers!

I'm finding the helicopters suffer the same weakness that Arma has.

The pilots being dumb. I don't even bother riding in a Huey now if I'm on the American team because every pilot I've seen has either dropped the team as far away from where they need to be as possible or pick a predictable spot right beside where we need to be so everyone can get killed with a single RPG.

NVA and VC are more fun anyway.

I've had a few games where the transport heli pilots were amazing....lots more where they weren't. Currently shooting helis out of the sky as PAVN!

Pre-purchase is now available ($22.49 - 25% discount) and there will be 1 more Beta wave before release.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam is the sequel to PC Gamer’s 2011 and 2013 ‘Multiplayer Game of the Year’, published by Tripwire Interactive and developed by Antimatter Games, the same team that created the award-winning and innovative asymmetric game...
Price
$29.99
Release Date
May 30, 2017

Less than $23 sounds like a great deal to me, for a game that supports modding on UE3. After playing through the Beta waves, this was a no-brainer purchase for me.

£17.24 is an absolute steal for the amount of hours I will get out of this!