u2had

Why the kickstarter isn't doing so well

I've been following the kickstarter for the past few weeks and I'd like to divulge from a professional standpoint why it's under performing. Yes it has been funded, and Yes you have reached your first stretch goal. I do "Marketing/Advertising" for a living. Gaining investors/backers ala kickstarter is my bread and butter. 

The minimum pledge is too high

There is a class of kickstarter backers who pledge 1$ to many projects because they either look cool or catch their eye. Five dollars is alot to ask from people who are most likely unfamiliar with the premise of squad and project reality's legacy. If the pledge was lower I do believe you'd have an extra 100k or so by now. 

Marketing 

I was surprised that more youtubers did not cover Squad. The devs should have reached out to the likes of FrankieonPC, Totalbiscuit and even levelcap. And organized an open stream event the night of the kickstarter launch to build hype for this game. Combined with current youtbers like jackfrags and even angry joe, their subscribers number in the millions. Now Imagine if 10% of those subscribers pledged a dollar to the kickstarter?

Stretch Goals are Confusing

Again how many people on kickstarter are familiar with project reality? Probably Zero.

Second: the stretch goals are all wrong. Stat Tracking and Role customization should have been integrated into the first stretch goal, that way it be almost guaranteed in the game and people who are stats junkies; can make or break your game. Why was battlefield 2 so popular? Because it had stats. Why does almost every game now track stats? Because people want it.

Third: What are fast ropes? Why are helicopters so far up there? Are you saying that if you don't get 1,000,000$ this game will have no air vehicles? That's kind of depressing. Are you saying that they'll be in the game later? Than why should I back it now and spend money when I'll get it for free later? It's confusing to potential backers. And decentivizes further backing.

Lastly: In my opinion every stretch goal past the first should have been a different faction. Why? Because factions would work best in the case of Squad. Factions are tangible and very easy to build hype for. I love that PR has so many, and they feel so different. I.E. Every 100,000$ or so bam you are guaranteed a new faction. United Kingdom, Canada, Russia, China, Germany, France, Etc.

Hypothetical Scenario: Say youtuber A wants faction X at 400k and youtuber b wants faction Y at 750k, they would promote the shit out of squad to get their favorite factions in the game. And say Youtuber Z wants faction Z at 1mil, well now you've got a million dollars to play around with.

Again I am not criticizing, only making an observation based on my experience.

This is a fair evaluation.

Regarding stretch goals - it probably needs to be made even clearer that every stretch goal speeds up the process, and that even if the goal isn't reached, the feature will be implemented eventually, just not as soon. It's done a bit poorly in that regard, methinks.

I think the devs had the image that the main market would be those who actively played Project Reality, but there needs to be a wider focus and more explanation for brand new players (that includes those who are too lazy to do research and need every selling point in one quick swoop).

He makes some interesting points. I'm just glad the KS campaign has down as well as it has. I'm excited to see how much it finishes at!

I thought this was going to be an awful rant, but it actually turned out to have some good points. I totally agree that the stretch goal thingy is confusing, almost everyone I'v showed this Kick Starter to was confused by what the goals meant. I also agree that the stretch goals could have been better if they included more factions instead of stat tracking and a training kill house.

I highly doubt that the current funding amount would have increased by 40% just by lowering the lowest pledge tier from $5 to $1. Are you really implying doing that would increase the backer number from 3,128 to over 100,000? Even if everyone of those hypothetical backers backed $4, which would be highly unlikely, you'd need 25,000 new backers to reach 100k.

I agree with the other points though, especially the stretch goals part. I've seen several people on other forums brush this off because they thought there wouldn't be helicopters unless the game got $1 million.

Remember the bots that were on this forum? I think they had a point. Attract an audience with fake passports. GG

You have good points, my friend. Marketing and Advertising - publication in general - is one of the most cumbersome and fluid tasks of startup businesses, ventures, and all products; not with large corporations (think Apple, Ubisoft, etc), but the smaller, independent groups with the real gems like this one.

The idea to use word-of-mouth advertising is terrific, and I've researched similar techniques with other products; personal, trusted recommendations and referrals are an incredible source of customer base when utilized properly, and I think the developers here really did pursue it different ways. It could have been better, clearer, and farther reaching, yes. There is still time, though, and the hindsight that we have been gifted with so far can be used to further their campaigns before full release or even early access.

Hope still lingers on the horizon, my friend. Good thoughts.

Remember the bots that were on this forum? I think they had a point. Attract an audience with fake passports. GG

This is not constructive feedback whatsoever.

I've been following the kickstarter for the past few weeks and I'd like to divulge from a professional standpoint why it's under performing. Yes it has been funded, and Yes you have reached your first stretch goal. I do "Marketing/Advertising" for a living. Gaining investors/backers ala kickstarter is my bread and butter.  *snip*

In a recent twitch stream/interview, IronTaxi brought up the fact that they had difficulties on how to approach the Kickstarter. They have an idea in mind and this is a group of guys that built what PR is today over a decade long span of work.

They didn't have crushing time-dependent deadlines to hit with PR like they do with Squad. It's understandable why their Kickstarter isn't fully optimized for prime-marketability. As you know, all of their stretch goals are planned to be in the game regardless of whatever funding comes their way. 

You make good points. Unfortunately I don't know how possible it is to change those stretch goals. Especially now that the KS is less than 2 weeks away from it's deadline.

Honestly.. 

We have achieved our objectives of having enough money to get to Early access. 

That has been goal 1 since day 1. 

We appreciate the feedback but really promising a new faction every $100k is so out to lunch. i am not even going to bother. 

Bring me your budget and I will bring you mine.. and then we can talk based on reality. 

Nothing has failed here....

:wacko:

Ps. I also work in marketing and sales and know exactly how to hit goals. (which is what we did)  these assumptions.. man.. wearing thin.. 

How about informing people on steam under "discussions" of tactical/hardcore games? I didn't start it because I'm not sure if other developers would like to have such topics there. But if its from the community not the developers of this game - why not? :P

Not doing well s a little bit of an exageration IMHO. Not every game can be Mighty No.9 or Yooka Laylee

Simply acheveing the goal means that it is going very well, I've back a fair few games and about 80% of them have failed to reach even thier fairly modest goals.

Squad not only hit thier goal within half of the allocated time period, but have also hit several of thier strectch goals aswell, which is quite the accoplishment, especailly considering it is quite niche and doesn't have the famimity that many other projects have.

How about informing people on steam under "discussions" of tactical/hardcore games? I didn't start it because I'm not sure if other developers would like to have such topics there. But if its from the community not the developers of this game - why not? :P

Do it!

I've been following the kickstarter for the past few weeks and I'd like to divulge from a professional standpoint why it's under performing. Yes it has been funded, and Yes you have reached your first stretch goal. I do "Marketing/Advertising" for a living. Gaining investors/backers ala kickstarter is my bread and butter. 

The minimum pledge is too high

There is a class of kickstarter backers who pledge 1$ to many projects because they either look cool or catch their eye. Five dollars is alot to ask from people who are most likely unfamiliar with the premise of squad and project reality's legacy. If the pledge was lower I do believe you'd have an extra 100k or so by now. 

I honestly don't think that adding a $1 tier would net us very much extra money with the visibility we have overall as a project, this might be overstating how much press we actually have.

Marketing 

I was surprised that more youtubers did not cover Squad. The devs should have reached out to the likes of FrankieonPC, Totalbiscuit and even levelcap. And organized an open stream event the night of the kickstarter launch to build hype for this game. Combined with current youtbers like jackfrags and even angry joe, their subscribers number in the millions. Now Imagine if 10% of those subscribers pledged a dollar to the kickstarter?

We did have a few bigger YouTubers put out videos and we did a stream event the day before the KS launched for awareness, including DDG and JackFrags. Also, we did reach out to other larger YouTubers, but that does not always coincide with those particular personalities schedules or methodologies. I personally know AngryJoe, I live down the street from him, we are very good friends, but he is not a big video game KS guy, as an example. He generally prefers more complete projects to review.

Again how many people on kickstarter are familiar with project reality? Probably Zero.

Second: the stretch goals are all wrong. Stat Tracking and Role customization should have been integrated into the first stretch goal, that way it be almost guaranteed in the game and people who are stats junkies; can make or break your game. Why was battlefield 2 so popular? Because it had stats. Why does almost every game now track stats? Because people want it.

Honestly, stat tracking is something we are going to have internally for our own metrics, we figured that it could be something we could release to the public in a more limited capacity. It's really not the focus of our game or vision. We aren't Battlefield or CoD.

Third: What are fast ropes? Why are helicopters so far up there? Are you saying that if you don't get 1,000,000$ this game will have no air vehicles? That's kind of depressing. Are you saying that they'll be in the game later? Than why should I back it now and spend money when I'll get it for free later? It's confusing to potential backers. And decentivizes further backing.

We explicitly stated what the point of the stretch goals are with a giant banner above them stating what the point of them was. They aren't a wishlist, it is just the realistic amount of money (trying to be honest and transparent) it will take to get those systems into place. We are building a game from the ground up, UE4 doesn't come with the exact helos, networking, characteristics, etc. that we want for our game. Game development is extremely expensive, there is a reason a game like Destiny spent approximately 500mil on development. And why would anyone think they would get anything "for free" later? Even if helos came "later" you would still need to buy the game to play with them. Backing is exactly that, believing in the potential of a project that it will become what you expect it to be and what the developers said it will be. Of course helos will have to come later, we are still in pre-alpha and developing our foundation. It just comes down to have much sooner we can implement these things.

Lastly: In my opinion every stretch goal past the first should have been a different faction. Why? Because factions would work best in the case of Squad. Factions are tangible and very easy to build hype for. I love that PR has so many, and they feel so different. I.E. Every 100,000$ or so bam you are guaranteed a new faction. United Kingdom, Canada, Russia, China, Germany, France, Etc.

Again I am not criticizing, only making an observation based on my experience.

Pretty much, see the helicopter reply, game development is expensive and pumping out a new faction every 100k is not even remotely in the realm of possibility financially. Like...I don't even know how to even begin to help people understand this. Just try and imagine the ridiculous amount of man hours required to make everything necessary...it's crazy.

Sure we made some mistakes, everyone does. Could we have done some things better? Sure, you always can, but we did what we thought was best at the time all the while trying to maintain some level of presence in the campaign as well as continue development and with such a small team, that is a feat in of itself. We hit our goal and then some, we have a passionate group of people who just want to make the best damn team based, tactical shooter out there.

You can donate $1. You can donate whatever amount you want, you're not locked to pledge goal amounts. I think the KS is going well, the team really stepped it up with the new series detailing the game and more clarifications. Remember, the game is going to earn more money when it's on steam early access. It's already been greenlit

Sure we made some mistakes, everyone does. Could we have done some things better? Sure, you always can, but we did what we thought was best at the time all the while trying to maintain some level of presence in the campaign as well as continue development and with such a small team, that is a feat in of itself. We hit our goal and then some, we have a passionate group of people who just want to make the best damn team based, tactical shooter out there.

This is a great attitude, you guys shouldn't be disappointed at all. I and many others are very confident you'll be able to make the best damn team based tactical shooter out there, even without $1,000,000. I mean look at all you guys have accomplished so far, keep in mind this is only the beginning. Stop worrying so much everybody, patience.

What has surprised me is the amount of people ive talked to who have no idea what Project Reality is. (ive gotten back into it and im getting more and more friends from my tactical team based game genre group to look into it due to Squad). I guess when I explained Squad to them, they didnt really get the full effect of when I said 'its being developed by a group of people that worked on PR' because they didnt know what PR was. I've been trying to get the word out.

This is a great attitude, you guys shouldn't be disappointed at all.

Anyone who thinks we are disappointed needs to stop assuming what we think.

We set a goal that was needed. We hit that - and then some! We can't all be Star Citizen.

Many failed kickstarters out there in this genre. Insurgency and Interstellar Marines never made their goals in their 30 days.

I'm pretty stoked that I can pay rent again and physically survive until we are able to get a more stable sales platform in Steam.

That was the goal, and we made more than that. I'm happy, the other guys living off their savings are super grateful too.

Anyone who things we are disappointed needs to stop assuming what we think.

We set a goal that was needed. We hit that - and then some! We can't all be Star Citizen.

Many failed kickstarters out there in this genre. Insurgency and Interstellar Marines never made their goals in their 30 days.

Maybe we can be bigger than Star Citizen, who knows, not me.

Insurgency and Interstellar Marines are great examples as well, Kickstarter had very little bearing on their ability to succeed.

Not to mention we still have 10 days to go! Things are going very well indeed, good job guys.

Exactly. 

Insurgency didn't make their KS, and yet more than 1.7 million people have Insurgency on their Steam account.

225.000 copies so far for Interstellar Marines too.

KS money amount =/= project success

Exactly. 

Insurgency didn't make their KS, and yet more than 1.7 million people have Insurgency on their Steam account.

225.000 copies so far for Interstellar Marines too.

KS money amount =/= project success

Bingo, we have money and then some to get to Steam, once we start selling on Steam, more money for development. Still a ways to go and good times ahead!

Project Reality has lasted around 9 - 10 years due to the developers and the community, most games these days last 12months. These days i only play PR once in a blue moon but its a great experience, i trust the developers without a doubt to give us (the community) a game we can play for many years to come. I dont really mind that role customization, helicopters and hopefully Australian Army  ;)  are still awhile away, not once can i recall where the developers have released something shity and thought to myself "shit they should of tested this more"

As for the kickstarter campaign, yeh they could of used abit more coverage and boosted the amount earned but those that have supported it now are the reason PR has lasted so long. 

All i can say now is congrats! and hopefully we can smash through the russians forces target before the end of the campaign.

Project Reality has lasted around 9 - 10 years due to the developers and the community, most games these days last 12months.

I wish more games nowadays gauged their success by that metric.

Its one hell of a feat to be able to say that you still have hundreds of people playing your game 10 years after you released it. Its even more of a feat when you simply released a mod. The guys at DICE should be very proud that the PR team took their base game and turned it into what it shouldve been from the start.