Jump to content
SHO-SHIN

1440 at 100% or 1080 at 150% resolution?

Recommended Posts

Just a quick question, I am getting a new display (going from 24 to 27).

 

I wanted to know if playing at 1080 150% resolution scale is as good or better than 1440 at 100% resolution?

 

I'm thinking in terms of targeting at range re my old eyes.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only having a 1080p display I can only speculate but as 1440 would be the native resolution of your screen that should look better.

 

Edit:

When you think about what you're doing it seems crazy to go the 1080/150% route. The game would be rendered overscale for 1080 when set at resolution scale of 150%. That's a performance hit right there. The game then gets downscaled to 1080 but does get a increase in sharpness. Some have enough performance spare to take that hit. If your monitor is native at 1440 the image is then upscaled (by the monitor - stretched) from 1080 to 1440. Those jaggies are coming back to some degree.

 

Performance wise I would guess 1080/150% < 1440/100%. Clarity wise though I think 1440 wins because of the upscaling required for 1080. You could try a 1440/113% for increased clarity and similar performance to 1080/150% but not having a 1440 monitor I can test that theory.

Edited by Major Trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're going TO a 27 inch running at 1440p then it's best to go 1440p. I'm assuming you're going to run 2560x1440 as the native resolution (as in, setting it as that within the Display Settings in Windows itself) and you were thinking of running Squad in 1920x1080. Anyway, here's the visual differences, also you should be able to open them up in separate windows and flick through them. You'll notice the 2560x1440 at 100% is quite a bit sharper.

 

1920x1080 at 150 Resolution Scale

 

85182d23c4.jpg

 

2560x1440 at 100 Resolution Scale

 

0f111a6e4c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes keep it native.

1440p then leave it at that.

1080p upscale to 150% if it's a 1080p monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Assifuah said:

If you're going TO a 27 inch running at 1440p then it's best to go 1440p. I'm assuming you're going to run 2560x1440 as the native resolution (as in, setting it as that within the Display Settings in Windows itself) and you were thinking of running Squad in 1920x1080. Anyway, here's the visual differences, also you should be able to open them up in separate windows and flick through them. You'll notice the 2560x1440 at 100% is quite a bit sharper.

 

1920x1080 at 150 Resolution Scale

 

85182d23c4.jpg

 

2560x1440 at 100 Resolution Scale

 

0f111a6e4c.jpg

cheers that does help me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright well I am picking up a half decent 27 inch display thats full 1080 for next to nothing.

 

I'll play for a bit on that and then sort a 1440 dream machine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've 5k monitor (iMac 5k), so it's retina screen. I run at "native" 1440p @ 100% resolution scale and it looks great. To achieve the similar results you would have to run at 1080p @ 133% ( = 1440/1080*100 +/-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

133% right I shall give that a try and report back mate.

 

The FPS hit may be to much for me to handle, but I have some to lose as the new display is only 60Hz (I will lock FPS at 61) and my old one I play at 70Hz - so can give 11fps aprox (prob more available) to the 133% mission!

 

I lock my FPS low to stop the ups and downs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shoshin I think you should run at 1440p @ 100% if you can. IMO the only difference at 1080p @ 133% will be bigger texts and basically "everything" (but less screen estate because of this). Not sure but it could be better to have 2880p @ 50% resolution scale :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I know its better etc, but that would involve buying a 1440 display, like I said I can get the 27 inch 1080 for next to nothing so I'll have a play with that for now.

 

Im a bit like Del Boy with PC kit

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tomekw said:

So 1080p @ 100% resolution scale is the way to go IMO

 

Hmm, I run 1080p @ 130% on a 780ti and it's definitely sharper, especially the plants. Dropping my res to 100% doesn't increase my frames that much with the game in its current performance state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give the new display a go 27 inch, 1080, 133% fixed at 61fps and see how that works against my current 24 inch, 1080, 100% fixed at 71fps set up.

 

I have i7 4790k, GTX 970, CPU AIO etc so have good FPS generally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going from a 24" 1080p to 27" 1080p may be a little disappointing depending how close you are to the screen. The pixels size is bigger and might be more noticeable. The further away you are the less of an issue that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Going from a 24" 1080p to 27" 1080p may be a little disappointing depending how close you are to the screen. The pixels size is bigger and might be more noticeable. The further away you are the less of an issue that is.

 

Yes we will see, but if the bad people are easier to kill (as they are bigger) then i'll take it,

 

my old eyes seem to be straining right now. But in all seriousness I am hoping the increased resolution adjustment ingame will sharpen things up as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2016 at 10:37 AM, Shoshin said:

I'll give the new display a go 27 inch, 1080, 133% fixed at 61fps and see how that works against my current 24 inch, 1080, 100% fixed at 71fps set up.

 

I have i7 4790k, GTX 970, CPU AIO etc so have good FPS generally.

Great set-up.  too bad you're only getting 70 fps.  Hopefully there's some REAL optimization to come.  If not they can always just blame intel or nvidia next...  

Oops! Too late!!

 

Nextup... it's Linux's fault!!

Edited by digdug
drunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, digdug said:

Great set-up.  too bad you're only getting 70 fps.  Hopefully there's some REAL optimization to come.  If not they can always just blame intel or nvidia next...  

Oops! Too late!!

 

Nextup... it's Linux's fault!!

 

Hi mate,

 

I lock my FPS to 71 to have min highs or lows for long sessions as I have issues with my eyes.

 

Unlocked it goes from 60ish to 100ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Irish_rangers said:

I have a 1440p 27 inch. Depends on your card but this should not even be  a question :P .. 1440p beats 1080p by x100000000

 

I'' give the 27 1080 a go mate, then upgrade as I agree 1440 is very nice indeed. my rig should handle it at 61fps fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

 

I'' give the 27 1080 a go mate, then upgrade as I agree 1440 is very nice indeed. my rig should handle it at 61fps fixed.

Cool man, if u ever need examples and shit just hit me up :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Irish_rangers said:

Cool man, if u ever need examples and shit just hit me up :)

appreciate that mate,

 

I made PC world set up the options for me a while back, took them ages so I have seen for myself the difference on still images etc, I then left the shop without buying.

 

It's kinda a hobby for me.................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

appreciate that mate,

 

I made PC world set up the options for me a while back, took them ages so I have seen for myself the difference on still images etc, I then left the shop without buying.

 

It's kinda a hobby for me.................

 

If I worked there I'd hate people like you, lol :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

 

If I worked there I'd hate people like you, lol :P

 

yeah I am not so popular.

So far made them do the following -

 

1. 24 vs 27 display

2. 1080 vs 1440

3. 60hz vs 120hz

4. TN vs IPS

 

Every time it was a surprise to them, that someone actually wanted to see things side by side! LOL to funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

 

yeah I am not so popular.

So far made them do the following -

 

1. 24 vs 27 display

2. 1080 vs 1440

3. 60hz vs 120hz

4. TN vs IPS

 

Every time it was a surprise to them, that someone actually wanted to see things side by side! LOL to funny.

 

It's not the fact about moving stuff around it's that you didn't make a decision in the end and walked out. Maybe you did make a decision but it didn't involve spending money in the helpful store lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×