Sign in to follow this  

I'm new to Project Reality -- and I took the time to sit down with it recently and play some matches. They were a great time, and i'm looking forward to more. However, there have already been some points i'd like to bring up after playing for a few hours.

The first main bit of feedback I have has to do with navigation -- and how it relates to working as a team and locating one another.

I became quite frustrated at having to open up the map constantly. It took up way too much space, and it was very distracting. During firefights, especially urban ones, it becomes chaotic hell trying to keep track of where your squad mates are and where your squad leader wants you to be.

Something that I think might be of great value to remedy this issue would be something along the lines of what the ACE 3 team has brought to their mod for ArmA 3 -- the MicroDAGR GPS.

U6vkyxx.jpg

Too many times during my playtime, I'd hear my squad leaders say -- "move to the mark," or "we need a medic at the mark," or some form of that. Referring to a marker that 80% of the time I couldn't even see unless I opened my map -- a risky endeavor during a firefight. 

If the devs were to implement something similar to ACE 3's MicroDAGR, I feel that it would alleviate so much of that constant map opening and closing during firefights (or between them). Another option would be to be able to choose to toggle it on or off, or possibly even have it only appear while you hold down whatever keystroke it's mapped to -- for a quick and easy navigational aid.

Now, please understand, I'm not by any stretch saying it'd have to be implemented in this exact same way as ACE 3 does it.

However, I am saying that it'd be a great system to draw inspiration from; I know that as even as a new PR player, i'm very frustrated with how restrictive and bulky it feels to constantly have to bring the map up and put it away to navigate in an efficient way. During one of my sessions earlier on PR, I had multiple people tell me they simply had gotten used to "opening and closing the map constantly." I feel like a better system could be implemented.

One possibility would be to restrict this equipment to squad leaders -- and simply implement a better squad label/tag system. Perhaps the way that ShackTac does it with their ShackTac HUD and Group Indicator.

I also put together a short video detailing how it works:

Counter-Points:

• But M81, having your squadmate's icons show through walls and stuff isn't realistic! 

Neither is holding a bag up to someone and holding LMB to heal them -- but this is a video game! And that's okay!

• M81, additional layers of menus of any kind detract from gameplay and the rhythm of action.

This function i've laid out for you as an example is just as easy to bring up and access as the in-game map in PR. And -- it actually has a deeper level of functionality. The map function of the GPS could easily act as a Blue Force Tracker (BFT) and show the location of other squads, players and objectives on the map. Just like the PR map does.

• M81, this came from ArmA 3 so it's bad.

I've put in time to learn more about PR and how it works. Perhaps you should do the same for ArmA. Our communities have much more to gain from one another than you may think.

• But M81, that's how maps work in real life. You have to literally pull it out and look at it.

Yes, well, real life maps aren't transparent and show the location of every single friendly unit, vehicle and objective, either. If we want to talk maps, that's more than a map. That's GPS and BFT working in unison. which is exactly what the MicroDAGR can do. But better.

Thanks for reading -- and I hope you find some time to give me any constructive feedback you may have. 

The basic map system in PR is fine, no need to get advanced like that. If someone calls for a medic at a certain location just give a grid reference on the map. etc Charlie - 4 keypad 7, and the squad leader mark it. simple. When it come to games, keep it simple, too realistic and it gets boring and unplayable. Life is bad enough.

you shouldnt have to open your map all the time. there is a chevron on your compass at the bottom of the screen that tells you where "the mark" is. also when you are within 70 meters the 3d marker appears and gets brighter the closer you get to it. make sure you have your 3d markers turned on.

oh...and on your suggestion.

i dont care 1 way or another. though i am a big fan of KISS.(keep it simple stupid)

you shouldnt have to open your map all the time. there is a chevron on your compass at the bottom of the screen that tells you where "the mark" is. also when you are within 70 meters the 3d marker appears and gets brighter the closer you get to it. make sure you have your 3d markers turned on.

nobody even told me about that until you did just now -- thanks. that'll help a lot.

I think this advanced form of navigation would make a great Community Made Mod, and allows those who want super realism hard navigations to use it.
But for average joe and everyone else, the current PR like navigation system works very well. :)

I think this advanced form of navigation would make a great Community Made Mod, and allows those who want super realism hard navigations to use it.

But for average joe and everyone else, the current PR like navigation system works very well. :)

I should probably start teaching myself how to use UE4, because there's a lot i'd like to see implemented into Squad that I have a feeling won't make it in.

Which, honestly -- is fine, because I see Squad being a fantastic game right out of the gates.

I'm just really tired of how buggy and clumsy Arma 3 is, and a brand new engine is like a breath of fresh air.

When ArmA players experience new game engines:

KahMcpx.png

nobody even told me about that until you did just now -- thanks. that'll help a lot.

Where we come to lack of documentation and ingame help and confusing UI of PR which hopefully is more self explanary in SQD and not so much those "buried" functions which you just need to know....

Personally I dont see any good on those GPS or "real compassed" in ArmA.. I don't like nonononooo. Not armaed sqd please.

Shacktac hud is beaten here to death.. I personally would prefer some really simple "friendly units" radar in HUD for close ranges simplified / improved DF/Jops syle (in same sense as shactac), but there is loud majority? who doesn't like it and refuges to understand that it would not take away "tacticoolnes" nor immersion if done correctly =/= BFx style or they label it as minimap or just radar which are both incorrect. :)

I should probably start teaching myself how to use UE4, because there's a lot i'd like to see implemented into Squad that I have a feeling won't make it in.

But that's the great thing about SQUAD is the Developers actively want to support the mod community.

So what I see happening a while on down the track, is once a community made item or mod have been around for a while and people start using it more often and see its really good, I see the developers creating a kind of "white list" of Community Made modifications that can be used in the Vanilla SQAUD game since it's only affecting that particular person player's side.

For example; your advanced navigation idea and once created by the public would surely make that white list as it gives those SQUAD enthusiasts who want more milsim realism to use GPS navigation or something without without giving that player an unfair advantage.

:)

Personally I dont see any good on those GPS or "real compassed" in ArmA.. I don't like nonononooo. Not armaed sqd please.

I'll keep my hopes up that i'll just be able to help the mod community, I guess.

But that's the great thing about SQUAD is the Developers actively want to support the mod community.

So what I see happening a while down the track, is once a community made item or mod has been around for a while and people start using it more often and see its really good, I see the developers creating a kind of "white list" of Community Made modifications that can be used in the Vanilla game.

For example; your advanced navigation idea and once created by the public would surely make that white list as it gives those SQUAD enthusiasts who want more milsim realism to use GPS or some other more technical method or navigation without giving the player an unfair advantage.

:)

The thing is, the GPS i've listed (and the map in game) are very similar in how they work. It's just that the MicroDAGR has a bit more functionality to it. It wouldn't give any sort of unfair advantage whatsoever. It doesn't track enemy movement, just like the map in PR. 

It's simply another tool at the player's disposal.

edit: but, like I said in the OP -- I just want to bring this to the attention of the devs and the community as simply another potential source of inspiration for anything the devs may want to implement.

You should have read the manual thoroughly. Therefore you wouldn't have had to post such topic on the Squad forums when it was not needed or necessary.

Simple complex, it doesn't matter. LT will still get lost.

LT always gets lost.

You should have read the manual thoroughly. Therefore you wouldn't have had to post such topic on the Squad forums when it was not needed or necessary.

Nah, i'd say my post is still pretty relevant. You should've read it more thoroughly.

LT always gets lost.

Nah, i'd say my post is still pretty relevant. You should've read it more thoroughly.

Alright next time I'll ready through it more thoroughly.

@M81ERDL   I agree , now is the time to discuss this type of thing . PR is chevrolet_05aveo4door_angularfront_Regul

and we are looking at Squad 2015-chevrolet-camaro-special-edition-ne

As you can see QualityHD , Squad is not PR and will be much better .

That is overly complicated. There would be too much useless information displayed. 

PR does it perfectly and simply: RpTTeio.png

The map system in PR is fine. PR and squad already serve tiny niche markets. But ACE's system is way too complicated for most people. If you don't believe me, ask yourself how many people play it regularly; you will find one, MAYBE two servers any time that are open to the public and have anyone playing. 

Land nav in real life is hard enough, I would rather see it kept simple. Nothing worse than walking for an hour down a road only to realize your on the wrong road. Or holding the map upside down...