Sign in to follow this  
LaughingJack

Terrain: determining or setting-to a particular scale

Hi All,

As far as i can tell UE4 has no real scale. what i mean is; is there a way to set UE4 to scale-per-pixel? 

eg: 2017x2017 DEM will be 2017x2017 meters @ scale of 1 pixel/meter

i ask because the terrain iv'e been trying, unsuccessfully, to create comes out at some random size that i cannot work out until i drop a 40' container on it for scale. and the "settings" to import make no sense or logic to me in this context.

cheers,

.LJ

1 UE4 unit = 1 cm

for importing heightmaps, its 1 pixel = 1m2 (unless you tweak the scaling, which can give you .5 or other resolutions)

so a 2017x2017 heightmap is just over 2km high and wide if you import it with the recommended settings = https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/TechnicalGuide/index.html (see recommended landscape sizes)

(most terrain creation software exports heightmaps in power of 2, so you most likely will end up with a 2048x2048 pixel heightmap if you use for example Worldmachine, but this is automaticly converted to 2017x2017 when you import it into UE4

If you want higher resolution for your terrain aka more vertices in the terrain mesh, you can use the scaling settings while importing, but i have heard that this might give some artifacts, even though i never have noticed any major ones myself.

Hi Zeno',

thanks for that. i was using the suggested import settings for Squad, which only gave me something about half the size (i think). i'll do as you suggest (then try to work out how the heck to get the Masters to not bork-out on me).

" for importing heightmaps, its 1 pixel = 1m2 "  - thats the bit i needed to know. i am using 30m DEM's (only res i can reliably get) so tweeking the scale might also work.

" automaticly converted to 2017x2017 when you import it into UE4 "  - is this only for WM files? because UE just complains about anything the wrong size and does not actually say it will convert/resize anything, just that they may not work as intended (which infers no conversion).

Cheers!

.LJ

45 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

" automaticly converted to 2017x2017 when you import it into UE4 "  - is this only for WM files? because UE just complains about anything the wrong size and does not actually say it will convert/resize anything, just that they may not work as intended (which infers no conversion).

Cheers!

.LJ

You talking about the weightmaps or the heightmap? 

heightmaps (DEM's). but both - any weightmap must also match the "terrain size" otherwise i throws a non-fatal error as well -(use, but may not work as intnded).

well at this resolution (2017^2) and scaled 300% x 300% x 30%, the map is enormous - like 5-6kM wide. way, way bigger than i thought it would be, so i might try different settings with my next map effort (gone too far with this one now to trash it and restart).

also just noticed the Scale Rule in the Top(Plan) View projection ;)

Edited by LaughingJack

Sign in to follow this