doubleDizz

Need help with Iron Sight aiming

I can aim & shoot, but iron sight rifles in CQB, no matter how much drag I add to control recoil (whilst staying accurate), the rifle still jumps up enough that if my taget is moving left or right, I almost always lose them underneath the rifle barrel and die because of it.

My KDR is never as good as when I'm playing on the US team with an aimdot. 

When clearing built-up areas, structures, rocks, etc (any CQB really), I move around with the weapon already sighted as it removes the aiming animation delay.

The US RDS allows me to burst fire and adjust my shots without losing my target, even when they are running; there's enough space under the aimdot to keep tracking them. Unfortunately the iron sights don't.

How do you CQB against moving targets with iron sight rifles?

Always approach with your screen slightly lowered to prevent the sights from blocking your main view, and aim down sights.

If your rifle bounces too much just practise honestly, there's nothing else you can do about it.

And you could always practise with M4A1 iron sights! 

always burst fire. You will learn to control it.

Try the LMG weapons and spray a bit, you get a lot of ammo per reload

1 hour ago, doubleDizz said:

You use single shot.  .. and yes even if its CQB and hes moving.. you 3 tap him with single shot

very quickly .. of course :D

Edited by Irish_rangers

I've found semi auto to be my best friend in closer engagements. Only time I flick to full auto is when I'm ready to die or run up on guys!

Depends, the recoil in close combat is still horrendous especially for 5.45. Once upon a time, I would take chances and triple/quad tap the bogey. Now I'm dumping half a mag, just to be sure. Because between the full auto crowd, the connection/ping issues, some issues with hit areas (two bullets in the neck don't even impress a Saw gunner). So it's litterally like we were 8 year old kids using those rifles for the first time. 

1 hour ago, Assifuah said:

I've found semi auto to be my best friend in closer engagements. Only time I flick to full auto is when I'm ready to die or run up on guys!

I've learned that you should always have your weapon on full-auto. If you're walking through the desert and see someone laying in a bush right next to you, it's better to already have full auto for close engagements than need to switch or tap fire. If you see someone at long range, you can take the time to switch from full to semi.

4 hours ago, doubleDizz said:

I can aim & shoot, but iron sight rifles in CQB, no matter how much drag I add to control recoil (whilst staying accurate), the rifle still jumps up enough that if my taget is moving left or right, I almost always lose them underneath the rifle barrel and die because of it.

I play with sensitivity 46.05 cm/360° on a mouse pad which is 455x370x3 mm in size. It is pretty low sensitivity, especially for games like BF/CoD/Insurgency/Squad. But I also play at 1600 CPI which is high CPI comparing it to the competitive scene. Most of competitive players in CS/BF are playing at 400/800 CPI. But they don't know some things about mices and sensors...

If you don't have gaming mouse, then buy one. Here's the list of best mouses on the market. And the only best mouse with the only best sensor(and it's 100% sure the only best sensor on the market) on the market is Logitech G502. It has a lot of programmable buttons and it has the only best sensor on the market(Pixart PMW 3366DM) making it the one and only best mouse on the market.

If you have gaming mouse then I'd recommend you to set highest native CPI for your mouse(it is different for different mouses. G502 has native steps of 50 and it works perfectly up to 2000 CPI).

Figure out what is your perfect real-life sensitivitiy. Most of the players don't know that number. As I mentioned above mine is 46.05 cm/360°. Don't go for too high mouse sensitivity(<35 cm) as well as don't go for too low mouse sensitivity(>50 cm). Your perfect mouse sensitivity will depend on your hight. If you have short hands then you'll want  to have higher sensitivity and if you have very long hands then you'll want to have lower sensitivity. If your height is 154 cm(for example) then I'd start from sensitivity 45 cm and go down. And if your height is 204 cm I'd start from 40 cm and go up. One more thing about sensitivity. You should be able to comfortably do a 180° at any point of time, that's why you just wouldn't be able to comfortably play with sensitivity 50 cm/360° if your height was 154 cm. You just wouldn't be able to comfortably make 180° turn even if you had a mouse pad 1 square meter in size.

The US RDS allows me to burst fire and adjust my shots without losing my target, even when they are running; there's enough space under the aimdot to keep tracking them. Unfortunately the iron sights don't.

You need to train it as well. I go to the firing range from time to time and learn spray patterns with iron sight and with red dot. Oh, and big monitors(27"+) helps a lot in this kind of games.

Well, to do it with a good results you need a good mouse, good mouse pad, big monitor, proper video settings, proper mouse settings, good FPS, understanding of spray patterns and muscle memory.

If you have poor video settings(turned on bloom, blur, AO, AA, VSyng, HBAO and any other shit), you won't be able to play as good as you could with it turned off. If you have a poor mouse settings, you won't be able to play as good as if you had your perfect mouse settings set accordingly to your height etc.

Good luck with setting up your PC.

Edited by KulaGGin

First, move into full auto range preferably from the back (1-2 maybe 3 ft)
Second, dump mag
Third, ???

All other appropriate engagements keep semi auto.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

Aim for upper chest, pull down left. As mentioned above go to the firing range and test spray pattern at various ranges. Keeping a close grouping with the AK isn't easy, height wise it's not an issue if you've got the right amount of drag but controlling horizontal spread is tricky.

If you're muzzle is climbing above the target then you're not dragging down enough. Anything 15m+ in range - forget auto unless immediate suppressing fire on contact and even then don't let off more than 3-4 round bursts or you're just wasting ammo.

@KulaGGin Is your sensitivity (" 46.05 cm/360° ") measured during hip-fire or during aim-down-sight?

And do you let this affect your desktop/menu environment as well? What's the distance you cover on your mouse pad to get from left to right edge on your screen?

In my setup at 1200 CPI, I have to turn the in-game sensitivity down very low (about 0.15) to get anywhere close to 35 cm/full_turn. Are such numbers to be expected?

Edited by 3e58i

1 hour ago, 3e58i said:

@KulaGGin Is your sensitivity (" 46.05 cm/360° ") measured during hip-fire or during aim-down-sight?

It's both, actually. There is this command bEnableFOVScaling=false in *.ini files which allows you to have the same sensitivity in zoom in/out modes and even when you play at different FOV settings(65, 75, 80, 90, 120 or any other). By default FOV scaling is set to true and you get different sensitivities on different FOV settings and you get different mouse sensitivities in zoom out mode, in zoom in mode(and different sensitivities on different sights: iron sight, default red dot, ACOG, sniper zoom etc) and in focus mode because sensitivity completely depends on the FOV at some particular moment.

1 hour ago, 3e58i said:

And do you let this affect your desktop/menu environment as well?

How do you mean? I have a comfortable windows sensitivity at 3/11 with 1600 CPI. Feels pretty same as in-game sens(46.05 cm/360°, taking one monitor as 90°).

1 hour ago, 3e58i said:

What's the distance you cover on your mouse pad to get from left to right edge on your screen?

In-game or on desktop? In-game it's 46.05/4 = 11.51 cm in zoom out mode. And on desktop... I don't think it is important, so I never measured it. I just set it as close to the in-game sens as possible.

1 hour ago, 3e58i said:

In my setup at 1200 CPI, I have to turn the in-game sensitivity down very low (about 0.15) to get anywhere close to 35 cm/full_turn. Are such numbers to be expected?

I play at sens 0.0675 set in the GameUserSettings.ini AimSensitivity=0.067500 because you can't set thousandth part through in-game menu. And I set GameUserSettings.ini read only, so game won't round it to 0.07.

I've made some researches and came to the conclusion that perfect gaming sens it the ~25% of the length of the outspread arms(or of the height of a man which is equal to the length of the outspread arms):

body2.gif

body.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man

PS I feel like a Leonardo da Vinci of 21th century.

yeahsciencebitch.jpg

Edited by KulaGGin

@KulaGGinThough I must say that the only GameUserSettings.ini related to Squad that I could find is pretty well hidden.

For everyone's information, the settings files I found are located in C:\Users\your_user_name_here\AppData\Local\Squad\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

More questions!

I would like to know some more of your setup in relation to ergonomy.

Where is your mouse mat in relation to where you are sitting? And where is your movement keys in relation to where you are sitting? You can measure from your shoulder if you need a reference point.

Do you feel that you perform well when you need to make a lot of 90 degree turns in a row, such as during room clearing?

Edited by 3e58i

Guys. It's not I don't how to shoot; I don't need to work on my posture or move my mousepad 3" left.

All I'm saying is my KDR is never as good as when I have an aimdot. Here, proof...

ejoPPfZ.jpg

ahaDGBH.jpg

ZmYM2Cd.jpg

And here's one even with the SVD....

hMWz5Nl.jpg

Maybe there just needs to be more sight options for the other factions (except the Insurgents, because their real-life counter parts pretty much never have them). Russian Armed Forces have Marksmen with rifle scopes, Militia could have anything really because a lot of the time their self/privately armed (also, wouldn't there be mercenaries in militias around the world? Or is that movie stuff?)

... When people start talking sensitivity and CPI and mouse mat conf in a tactical game you know you might have hit rock bottom.

1080° No scope trickshot rekt brigade coming soon.  I feel like, you know, an ISIS caveman trying to flank guys and surprise them, but fret not, glorious AAA shooters can turn around a full auto your face no matter they've been hit a couple of time. Instincts man, survival of the geekest. Sima Don Nah. Soon we'll have ROF tests (because that horizontal spread ya know?). 

Good Lord, reset your trigger time, shoot once, twice allow the sight to realign and you'll get further in this game (it only takes two seconds to hit a group of three four, usually the victim will try and lay down to avoid more bullets, usually it won't do him any favor). I occasionally get aggro about squealers that try and do 90's or 180's (because nothing says more realistic than a half lutz on a poppy field, John Woo style) their fun switch engaged, hitting me once with their "last stand" kind of perk, while I've seen them dying three to four times (that means half a mag on your face, pink mist and everything).

There needs to be a solution to this, you get an M43 in the tummy, it doesn't give you super human abilities, it puts you to sleep. I get it, it wouldn't be enjoyable to get heavily incapacitated or outright killed with a bullet (that head shot though) but you have to pay for your right to be an obvious lard in the middle of the grill.

I've been looking to a lot of Squad footage recently and god forbid almost everyone is using FA. Guys, FFS, FA is for your Squad gunner not for the rifleman. Sometimes in CQB you can use the fun switch, but most of the time at range people get owned and pretty badly (I still see SAW superman aiming at me, while three precise shots had landed on his helmet, know what happened? SAW was hit and probably black screened but he still let rip half a band worth of ammo for nothing) because they're still playing Battlefield.

Also if you can't use the Mauser sights in this game, you need to work on your coordination eye finger, not help from internet. The AK sights in game are far more easy in CQB than the Aimpoint (more peripheral view, far easier to put the notch under the target, than bring the red dot to the target).

Good Lord. What have they done.

Edited by KTMR29