Darman1138

How is zoom going to be handled?

I was wondering if scopes would work like they do currently in PR where the whole screen zooms in and the edges blur, or will they work like they do in Red Orchestra 2 where the scope itself is zoomed in but everything else isn't?

I would like the system in Red Orchestra/Insurgency where the scope is the only thing zoomed in, although I've heard that this feature is very intense of performance.

Basically it involves rendering the view in front of you twice, hence being extremely taxing to implement.

To clarify what Spush is saying - of course we will have zoom on weapons, we just haven't agreed on the implementation method yet as some are performance heavy and others have other merits to them :)

i think it would be perfectly fine to just have the zoom scoped in and the rest blurred out, I dont find a big performance drop worth it. i'd rather lose performance on other details.

what about zooming for non scoped weapons? like when u shoulder a non scoped weapon, like a Taliban fighter's AK, u get a slight zoom bonus. i know its not technically realistic, but a computer screen really limits what u can see  compared to real life. a very light no scope zoom (like x3) would compensate for a computer screen's limitations. many FPS games have this actually. 

i think it would be perfectly fine to just have the zoom scoped in and the rest blurred out, I dont find a big performance drop worth it. i'd rather lose performance on other details.

same here

I'd prefer the classic whole screen zoom. I get the purpose of the RO2 type zoom, I find it annoying for a video game as I never can judge how much I need to move in order to look at an object in my peripheral vision. Kind of annoying.

It's hard to say which I would prefer. I really like RO2's style, but it can be taxing and maybe a little overcomplicated for not much benefit to actual gameplay. I'm sure I would be happy with either way. As for iron sight zooming, I also like how it works in RO2 , how holding your breath zooms in, although it is a little unrealistic.

what about zooming for non scoped weapons? like when u shoulder a non scoped weapon, like a Taliban fighter's AK, u get a slight zoom bonus. i know its not technically realistic, but a computer screen really limits what u can see  compared to real life. a very light no scope zoom (like x3) would compensate for a computer screen's limitations. many FPS games have this actually.

Get a 4K pc screen, you shouldnt have any noticeable limit with that.

I would love to see this implemented, it would be a great feature as in real life you can actually see further away and better, this is one thing I didn't like in Project Reality, having an unscoped weapon would mean that if the enemy is more than 100m away from you, you could only suppress him since you couldn't accurately take kill shots (or it's my fault since I don't know how to shoot). This would also help on insurgency maps with balance, I mean a bit of zoom for an unscoped weapon like in ARMA or Red Orchestra and I would stop complaining about BLUFOR havin 4x scopes .

I'd like close combat weapons to remain close combat weapons. Depending on the situation sometimes you need long range weapons, and some other times short range weapons. Mixing both will screw the game's mechanics.

And insurgent weapons are meaned to be used in close combat.

I'd like close combat weapons to remain close combat weapons. Depending on the situation sometimes you need long range weapons, and some other times short range weapons. Mixing both will screw the game's mechanics.And insurgent weapons are meaned to be used in close combat.

Of course, I was just saying that you should be able to see the guy you are shooting at, better. If you see them it doesn't mean you can actually shoot them that easily, and I think weapon capabilities, ballistics and weapon sway/bullet deviation come into play here .

Also why do you say insurgent weapons are meant to be used in close combat? They use soviet era weapons such as the akm, pkm, rpk, svd, rpg, it's not like they only use ak-74su and from what I know with the pkm, rpk and the svd you can hit targets that are pretty far away.

The best compromise between slight zoom whenever you aim down sight and no zoom at all is to have your sprint key also work as focus key. It would hold your breath on scoped weapons and also zoom in slightly on non-scoped weapons.

I'd definitely prefer sighting in with ironsights to not zoom at all if possible; the larger the FOV I've got in CQC the better. Adding "focus" zoom at that point makes sense to compensate for the inaccurate representation of size on a monitor.

I hope they don't add zoom to non scoped weapons, or this is gonna be lame. Keep the way PR is, period.

I hope they do, because monitors are tiny and its much harder to see than it would be IRL.BF2PR already has a slight zoom on ironsight weapons for similar reasons, but its always there instead of being toggleable. I'd way rather have no zoom at all when sighted in so CQC is better but have a hold breath/focus/squint kind of functionality where I can get just a little bit of zoom to make shooting at 150-200m just a tad better.

PR doesn't have zoom on ironsight weapons... it used to have back in 0.8, which was a long time ago... but hopefuly it was removed

I think it would be nice to have a native 2.0x zoom on the character, to simulate the human eye "Focus".This native zoom could be used while on Free Look, with the weapon on your shoulder, and while you are aiming down the sight.AFAIK, ArmA have a similar zoom.

I think it would be nice to have a native 2.0x zoom on the character, to simulate the human eye "Focus".This native zoom could be used while on Free Look, with the weapon on your shoulder, and while you are aiming down the sight.AFAIK, ArmA have a similar zoom.

you can't simulate that in a video-game...

and Arma's zoom is incredibly unrealistic

I know you can not, and I know ArmA method is exaggerated, but I think it is better to have than do not have.Maybe, if it is possible, a progressive 1.2x zoom with a 50% fov decrease to simulate focus. Also, scope zooms should have zoom ONLY inside the scope.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_sh5QX2GrM

yes, having the zoom only inside the scope would be great... however I am almost sure they will not do it this way :( 

and please, have zoom ONLY for weapons that have scope...