Royal8800

Enhance the realism of radio communications.

I thought of something that could enhance the realism to radio communications, I don't know if it's workable and whether it is, I know it will not be the priority, but let me explain.

If during radio communication with another squadleader/commander you could hear gunfire background... voices of other members of the squad in the background inside your radio.

What would you think?

As cool as it is, that won't happen.

People started squirming and moaning at the suggestion of radio filter/static/grain when talking over the radio. So no way would this happen, since it'll get in the way of teamplay too much or something(the usual excuse for anything that's "too complicated" for players) 

You know it could be made where this is an option and when its turned on only you hear it in your phones and the rest of team dont hear it.....its locally added only to persons headset and client.

just a thought.

You know, on the flip side it would be a great feature. Although this was discussed many times before...

Anyway, a radio trans start / end sound would be nice along with some static noise while receiving it because it would mean you don't have to constantly check to see if someone said something in local or in your squad comms.

The whole environment feedback into the radio part... meh. I don't know how that would work out especially when you've already got people talking in local, squad net and I guess platoon net. Adding another level of audio on top of that... not sure how I feel about it. I would rather see something like this set instead of optional.

Audio cue in PR is nice, but kinda gets annoying after a while. Idk how much other than a simple sound would be worth the dev hours to complete.

just add some static to the background of people talking on the radio, small amount of work for some nice immersion, don't let it distort the voices so it's still clear.

I thought of something that could enhance the realism to radio communications, I don't know if it's workable and whether it is, I know it will not be the priority, but let me explain.

If during radio communication with another squadleader/commander you could hear gunfire background... voices of other members of the squad in the background inside your radio.

What would you think?

i simply play with my speakers on :P

whenever this topic is brought up it mainly goes like this:

PR players: nope won't happen

ArmA players: sure, sounds awesome!

I can only imagine those trolls that just click the button and make static noises with the radio. -.-

Also, if somebody has poor mic, he will be impossible to hear over the static. Its just not practical.

I can only imagine those trolls that just click the button and make static noises with the radio. -.-

Also, if somebody has poor mic, he will be impossible to hear over the static. Its just not practical.

Well then they has to get a better mic. This game says U need communication and u can't communicate with a crappy mic

I think the radio should have static and makes your voice really deep like in real life radios. More intense and it everyone sounds pretty much the same.

If a light radio static is going to prevent you from understanding someone, you weren't going to understand them to begin with.

Remember too that not everyone are natural english speaker..

I'm French and I do my best to speak correctly but I still have my accent and it's true for a lot other people over the globe.

So I'm afraid that if the static is too strong, it might cause problem with it.

With that said, we have pre-alpha and it is here to test it, si if the devs are okay with trying it, I would'nt mind it.

i simply play with my speakers on :P

Haha  :lol: That's right !

As cool as it is, that won't happen.

People started squirming and moaning at the suggestion of radio filter/static/grain when talking over the radio. So no way would this happen, since it'll get in the way of teamplay too much or something(the usual excuse for anything that's "too complicated" for players) 

I think I'll never understand these people... :huh:

On 9 June 2015 at 7:22 AM, XB0CT said:

just add some static to the background of people talking on the radio, small amount of work for some nice immersion, don't let it distort the voices so it's still clear.

+1. Simple change but a big win for immersion imo.

I just wish that when people used squad comms it also played on local. I know this would require some work so that it doesn't play on local and squad so that people don't hear double.

Reason I want this is because it sucks when you are near another squad in a firefight and you can't hear their call outs because they are using squad chat. In real life if someone is talking on their radio next to me I can hear them.

There is a reason why they are separate. Local comms is so that you can communicate directly with those who are around you with info pertinent to them in local and its not heard by someone 100 meters from your location who is irrelevant to the situation. Squads some times break into fire teams and the local chat is key to your fire team. Seperation of comms is a great idea, if you mess with the setup then what is the point in having them separate?  As far as other squads near you if they are savvy players they will automatically use local to inform everyone around them. Many times in game I repeat info on both to alert everyone who could be effected by what is going on around me.

I kinda wish Local went a bit farther, like 50m tops. Other than that, radio is fine. Maybe add a subtle-ish sound when someone opens up the squad mic so it's faster to tell the difference.