YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Classic AK-47 and Type 56.

Well, I am sorry too for my misbehaviour in this thread, I shoud have had more respect for yours and others opinions. Glad we can have a high level of conversation that goes somewhere instead of running in circles.

The point is, I don't have to know all about wepons to understand that some incorrections can and will be overlooked by most players. Because thats what I see all the time, just a few ones that can spot these while the rest is happy plaing the game they love. Indeed these are complex questions, but it is also a lot about each ones expectations and opinions. You have a higher expectation based on all you know about weapons, but devs cant cater to that, they must focus on the general public which expects other things before authenticity, they must make choices that will drive the game away from realism and authenticity because they are focusing on the gameplay and other features which are more important to them and to the general players, just like PR did when they added deviation: it wasnt realistic, far from it, but had a huge gameplay value, so they chose to do add it anyway, despite PR being a realistic FPS, and despite the huge uproar in the forums. Thats the other side of the coin, which I imagine devs dont take lightly, but it is part of every game development: following their vision by making hard choices while trying to find that sweet spot in the middle of a sea of expectations.

But nobody here is complaining about you discussing details and whatnot, it is a game about war after all. People take issue then a few posters keep on hammering the same key on and on, despite all the explanations why. It gets old and boring really quickly. So yeah, I get your point of view, you guys know a lot about weapons and would like them to be as realistic as possible, but there is a point beyond which the time and resources invested wont bring so much returns, and thats the point where devs will turn to other lower hanging fruits.

Again, we are talking about authenticity aspects which don't confront with gameplay. I'll give you a little example.

There is a fictional AKS-74M rifle in game, modern variation of AK-74 but with old metal side-folding stock. From gameplay point of view it is absolutely identical to normal russian black AK-74Ms. As 3d artist, Z-trooper made this model through combining normal AK-74M with parts of models made by him before. It wasn't as difficult as making this model from scratch, but still required development time.

In reality this rifle doesn't exist and there is no way to make it without additional work on stock. So, the perfect decision would be to not do this model at all, because it doesn't match with reality, adds nothing to gameplay and requires time to create.

I can play with this rifle. Moreover, I am always play with it cause I am a medic. It is not a big deal and doesn't hurt me so much. But I still don't understand, was the purpose of asset, which hurts both development process, visual authenticity and adds nothing to gameplay?

Devs have military advisors and I am absolutely sure they didn't recommend this model to be implemented. So what's the reason for AKS-74M to exist?

Well, I cant judge ztroopers decisions but I can imagine he wanted a slightly different looking weapon make quickly with what he already had done. Very few people would spot it (me included, I wouldn't ever know it hadn't you pointed that out) and everyone would have a "new" weapon to play real fast and easy.

Again, it's down to cost and value. They are a small team with very limited resources, so this kind of shortcut, specialy so early in development, can add a lot and cost much less than creating a whole new weapon from scratch. In this case it wouldn't be about gameplay but a way to add new stuff quickly (and dirty, being alpha and all). Thats the kind of decision devs must take that I talked about, that sometimes are not perfect but is the best they can do with the time they have.

Besides, AFAIK military advisors are in the team to help them model stuff but not to tell what should be in or not, or how the game should be done, because Squad is a game not a simulator. They are advisors, not managers or directors, so they give feedback, and it is up to the managers and directors to accept it or not depending on their vision of the game, so sometimes even if an advisor says something doesnt exist in reality, devs will do it anyway to enhance gameplay or to create new stuff faster and cheaper. This is all my guesses, mind you, based on my experience as a developer in the past and by reading PR and Squad forums.

So my humble suggestion is: yeah, keep on giving feedback by pointing all the details that are wrong and discussing it to your harts content, but dont assume or demand that Squad should change just because of that, or that Squad should put authenticity above the rest. A dev already stated why they wont, and they have a clear vision of what they want to acomplish, so better realign expectations or you're gonna have a bad time playing this game :)

Cheers and see ya in the field!

9 hours ago, samogon said:

That's the community.Blind fanatics,who didn't anything more than devs provide. Even if Devs are wrong.

I think I probably have a better idea of what this community is than you do, and from my point of view, people have no legitimate problem with discussions of authenticity.

It  all boils down to tone.

People read through this thread and others by the small group of users I mentioned earlier and all they see is condescending, "know-it-all" attitudes. 

Shooting for authenticity is great -- personally I love games with accurate depictions of contemporary military weapons and gear. But for the love of god, I don't need to sit and read paragraphs written by users with smug, condescending attitudes. That is the issue here. That is the true, undiluted issue. And frankly this has been going on for months for some of these users. Some of them have been PM'd multiple times to turn down the smugness and apparently never really gave a damn to listen to the people trying to level with them about it. Unfortunately having a constant shitty attitude isn't a ban-able offense here.

The 'shitposters' that respond to you guys with dumb memes and annoying arguments against authenticity are just as annoying, but christ, it's easy to ignore those users and posts. 

But when a group of people are putting in the time to post paragraphs worth of information in defense of authenticity -- along with a constant tinge of smug, shitty attitudes -- it calls into question whether these people are trying to be legitimately helpful or just try to prove themselves right on the internet.

I fully support anyone who wants to bring some sort of constructive feedback to this community. But you need to realize how you communicate isn't irrelevant and it affects how people receive your feedback and how much they're willing to work with you.

My best advice I can give at this point is ignore the actual "fanboys" who just show up in every thread to repeat the same old nonsense to try and derail any legitimate discussion and just be nice to everyone else. If you can't do that so be it. But perhaps, at the very least, take a few moments out of your day to consider how your conduct affects the community as a whole, if you do indeed care about being part of said community.

Simply put....another AK version with minute differences is boring......we have a lot of different AKs already, we only have a limited amount of time, and a long list of game enhancing weapons to complete........For instance, when choosing what next weapon to model to make the game better......when its a choice between a PKM, a KORD, a dshka, a mortar,  or another slight AK variation, which do you think is more worthwhile to develop?

Thats not to say there wont be a type 56 at some point....we dont disagree that it would be an authentic weapon for the ins to have. But while we dont have squad level machine guns, mortars, apcs, tanks, helicopters, the british faction, dont expect a type 56 :D

This is so incredibly obvious in fact, that if we havent all come to this conclusion after 9 pages of thread, were not going to. Locked.