Dtodt13

11/12th June Influx of new players this weekend? It been terrible.

2 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

@Frontliner @KulaGGin I am not impressed where your ideas of server restricting of players is headed. There are still a lot of PR players waiting for Squad to improve and they would come on board with minimum hours to their names. Placing restrictions on servers for the amount hours you have in game probably isn't the best way to improve the standard of team work imho. Maybe once the devs have implemented a more substantial player statistics system something will come forward which helps prove a players worth as a teamplayer but I don't think hours of play should be one of them.

Well, I never claimed it would fix team work problems :P All that it's supposed to do is to ensure that those who join have a few hours under their belt and the squad leaders don't have to teach the ropes to everyone joining the squad. That way the focus shifts from getting your cattle, errrr Squad Members, in line to follow the cap sequence and maybe get your medic to heal one or two players for example to maximizing your squad's cohesion(people calling out targets, eg.) and make it a working element on the playing field. And though I don't dislike teaching a player every now and again, I imagine you agree that this "advanced squad leading" is a more enjoyable experience, especially if the opposing side has a good amount of knowledgeable players in their team as well.

1 minute ago, Frontliner said:

Well, I never claimed it would fix team work problems :P All it should do is to ensure that those who join have a few hours under their belt and the squad leaders don't have to teach the ropes to everyone joining the squad. That way the focus shifts from getting your cattle, errrr Squad Members, in line to follow the cap sequence and maybe get your medic to heal one or two players for example to maximizing your squad's cohesion(people calling out targets, eg.) and make it a working element on the playing field. And though I don't dislike teaching a player every now and again, I imagine you agree that this "advanced squad leading" is a more enjoyable experience, especially if the opposing side has a good amount of knowledgeable players in their team as well.

I do agree pretty much in what you say here ^. Having a competent squad is a joy to play with but in the same vein it's also a nice feeling to have a noob in the squad learning how he should be playing so he can get the best from what the game has to offer. If people are not willing to play alongside those with less hours experience it won't help develop the kind of interactive community this game needs and deserves. If noobs are joining a squad and wandering off doing their own thing and not communicating at least a little bit I really don't have time for them but if they show willing to play a role in the squad I say they need to be nurtured so we can all benefit from a healthy player base.

Been having a new guy in almost every Squad of mine the past couple days and most have been good folk I'll have to say. Several guys coming in and straight away saying "Hey, this is my first game, wat do" and it's a goddamn pleasure to have them learn the basic stuff as we go and most have been enjoying themselves for whatever round or two they've stuck around. Many of the vets in the squad have eagerly jumped to the chance to teach the newbies too. So props to all those lads.

Then there's also the other end of the spectrum, happened to be in the same shitshow with @Para last weekend where he probably got the 'inspiration' for the thread. I think they'll sort themselves out sooner or later. Either they realize this isn't the game for them as they were expecting whatever, get bored of trolling or get themselves banned from the actively moderated servers. Stay strong, men.

Edited by SgtHerhi

1 hour ago, 3e58i said:

That is just a view from a screen shot. Now think when he is playing and moving around a map everything would render so much differently, in fact it would probably be even worse then this screen shot and make everyone even easier to see as his gpu is unable to handle this game.

30 fps is top for his budget card with an intel chip. It would be even less without all these edits. Notice how his screenshots never have anyone in them and are always open spaces with no action (which increase the fps) What fps does he get when around heavy contact even after all theses edits?

I understand editing the game to make it play better but dont go around the forum saying how good one is when its clearly a massive advantage over normal players.

I see he has not come back to take the offer of some normal game play without any game edits.... wonder why!

Maybe I wasn't being clear, @UnderFire. :\ I meant "what do you think" in the context of my suggestion. See the yellow text below.

4 hours ago, 3e58i said:

Spoiler

On fairness and low settings:

UnderFire, KTMR29 and CMBelite-FR, you seem to regard the settings KulaGGin uses as cheating or borderline cheating. But I imagine this can be solved in a way where the low-poly level of detail models of vegetation could be made in such a way that they obstruct the view slightly more. If you look in the screenshot posted by KulaGGin:

[PICTURE OMITTED]

Notice how the flower field in the background is a big soup of opaque (=not transparent) polygons. If someone was lying prone in the middle of that soup they would still not be visible at this level of graphical fidelity, making the cheating argument moot. If someone was lying at the edges of the flower field, yes; but likely not visible in the middle.

Now look at the grass in the bottom half of the picture. I am not a high-end user myself so I can't tell exactly what the difference would be in visibility. But if someone was lying in the grass there it would be pretty easy to spot them. But what if the grass was a similar opaque polygon-soup to low-end users? Then soldiers lying in the grass would probably be pretty hard to spot too.

My point is that it is likely possible to compensate visibility advantages that low-end users get (I'm guessing due to lack of shadows or the relative sparseness or radius of particle culling) by using more obscuring opaque 3D models for the low Level of Quality models. One could also redo the manner in which vegetation partlicles are spread on the map so that patches of bare ground (like the edges of the flower field) don't occur, or at least as often.

What do you think? Would such changes please you in the sense that you wouldn't consider low-end users borderline cheaters any more?

Edited by 3e58i

Pfft! Nah it's cool, @MauserGDog. ; )

I'm more along the lines of informing people so our forum quality doesn't drop. Para's supposed ability in defending himself isn't relevant to my selfish need of preaching my views and/or proclaiming whom I think needs some rooting for. ;P

Edited by 3e58i

@3e58i If you read my comments you'll see I have not attacked Para for his views but in fact have tried to defend his original post. You must admit though he has appeared to get his knickers in a twist over a simple thread merge. He's a big boy and will get over it when he realises. My last comment about being guilty of posting without searching a subject was just friendly banter (brit humour). I am sure Para will see the irony about that as one of the longer term contributers.

Just now, Para said:

And deleted my original post.

Isn't it the second one?