Sign in to follow this  
Langor

FPS on SLI GTX 1080

Hello all,

I have posted this once in a long thread a week or so back. But I think it was buried.

Most maps I get above 70 FPS on epic settings with a 70+ server, up to around 120 FPS. When recording on the same computer as I run, I get around a 5 FPS drop. SLI does not work with Squad. Yes you can force it, but because of how Unreal 4 renders frames it is not alternate frame rendering friendly. What happens is you will get about 30-50% performance on each video card when in motion (actively moving). It will show good SLI results after loading (~150-220fps), but you will see what happens after you start playing when you are bench testing. I tried about 15 or so SLI profiles, to include one that Nvidia has made for a different Unreal 4 game. No success with SLI. Hopefully Nvidia will create a SLI profile that disables enough features that is holding AFR back. Anyways, I get performance that I am happy with, with the settings that are visually nice. If you have a 980ti I would wait to upgrade to a 1080, until later when they create faster models like a ti version (Or see what AMD offers). I benched against my buddy with SLI 980ti Kingpins (arguably the fastest 9 series card) and I only averaged around 30% better FPS in most tests. 

My specs:

34" IPS 2560x1080 @ 75hz
SLI GTX 1080 8GB (Unreal 4 doesn't support SLI)
16GB DDR3 2400 CAS 10
i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
SSD 500GB
Win10 64 Bit

So just to clarify for others, this is really just a benchmark for one 1080 since the other 1080 sits idle. I did notice that both cards had memory usage though, what's that about?

It's curious because @TyroneLannistor just said he was getting 45 fps out of his 1080 setup. Wonder what was different here.

Pfffff i play with 20 FPS on EPIC settings because on low settings I also have 20 FPS and bad pictures and developers continue to call this "game" but I think this is not a game is a program for viewing maps screenshots

On 6/10/2016 at 11:50 PM, Langor said:

Most maps I get above 70 FPS on epic settings with a 70+ server, 

My specs:

34" IPS 2560x1080 @ 75hz
SLI GTX 1080 8GB (Unreal 4 doesn't support SLI)
16GB DDR3 2400 CAS 10
i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz
SSD 500GB
Win10 64 Bit

I don't see above 70 FPS on 70+ server on your video. I saw average 55-65 FPS on 68-men server and that's on GTX1080. But your 3770k obviously bottlenecking. FPS in Squad is bound to IPC of CPU core and Skylake has the only best IPC of CPU core(Skylake's 12500 against 8200 of 3770k) on the market at the moment.

For a 1100 dollars you could buy:

Z170 motherboard for overclocking

16 GB of DDR4 RAM

GTX 980

Intel i5 6400

Overclock Skylake CPU to 4.5-4.7 gHz and get about 235 MIPS. With your overclocked 3770k you get about 150 MIPS which is about 60% of the Skylake's MIPS. With i5 6400/GTX980 you'd pay less and still got better performance than with your current rig which is at least twice as expensive. Now with that 1080 you just have to buy 6700k and overclock it as much as you can to unleash your video card's power in Squad.

Here's how your current rig looks like in a nutshell to me(Frankenstein PC):

frankenstein-virus.jpg

Edited by KulaGGin

1 hour ago, KulaGGin said:

I don't see above 70 FPS on 70+ server on your video. I saw average 55-65 FPS on 68-men server and that's on GTX1080. But your 3770k obviously bottlenecking.

It is not my fault if you didn't watch the whole video. Yes it dipped into the 55-60 for brief seconds on some scenes. A majority of it was 70 fps, going up to 90+ fps. And that is for this forest map. Other maps like the desert one I get 80-100+. Also, this video was recorded on the same machine I was playing on, causing about 5fps hit. I am not going to buy an i5. I am waiting for the 10 core i7. I don't just play games on my computer... i5 is to slow. In fact, I don't even really play that much of Squad, except when one of my friends plays. I dislike the Unreal 4 engine but I like the style of squad, hence why I bought the game, and to support the developers. And optimized games that support SLI I have no issues (to include the few dx12 games I own). Only issues I ever have is on Unreal 4 games (as many people do, if you look at the other Unreal 4 games). And my buddy has the i7 6700k (stock clock), with a 1080, and same speed ram but ddr4, same SSD only gets 8% better performance. I guess you want me to post those results to.. But I am not. I don't really care what anyone thinks. Get the rig you want, ill get the rig I want. The main reason for this post was to show that the 1080 wasn't getting 40fps with epic settings.

3 hours ago, Mumble said:

So just to clarify for others, this is really just a benchmark for one 1080 since the other 1080 sits idle. I did notice that both cards had memory usage though, what's that about?

It's curious because @TyroneLannistor just said he was getting 45 fps out of his 1080 setup. Wonder what was different here.

SLI is enabled, so it loads all memory into both cards (even on desktop). The game was only using one of the video cards to render frames though, resulting in only one video card working. So yes, the benchmark is only one stock clocked GPU.

This is pretty exciting to see, that the 10xx gen GPU's handle squad well even in its alpha form. 

Thanks for the post.

17 hours ago, Mumble said:

That guy simply doesn't know his stuff, he expected like 300 fps in an unoptimised alpha test even tho it's his CPU that was really holding his PC back mainly.