Gerardusnl0

minimaps
Tutorial: Generating your own minimap for Squad

How to make a Minimap with the Squad SDK

1. open up your map in unreal engine squad SDK

2. make sure view distance and draw distance settings are at epic (above viewport select settings, engine scalability settings, make sure view distance and draw distance are at epic)

3. now press shift+1 to get in the place tab (left side of viewport) select basic, then empty actor.

m9cPYVc.png

4. put 1 empty actor in the lower left corner of the playable area of your map, and 1 empty actor in the upper right corner (or vice versa)

el1k2r0.jpg

5. on the right side of your Viewport, go to ''world settings'' and find the Minimap section

6. here you will see ''map texture corner zero'' and ''map texture corner one'' 

7. click on the icon just right of the magnifying glass now with that selected, select one of the empty actors do the same with the second one

8. now that both map texture corner zero, and one have empty actors connected to them (like in the picture below) you can click on generate minimap

kV5qRIt.png

9. this might take a while, it took mine a couple minutes of freezing and extreme slowness 

10. when done the map texture should have a minimap of your map in the box, double click it to change settings to it ( brightness, saturation etc if needed make sure to press save in top left corner) 

11. save your map, then click play, when you press M you should now see your very own map

thanks to r0tzbua @ squad discord for making sense of this for me.

Edited by Gerardusnl0

Nice, I'll give this a try!

i am not sure if it is still the same with the new SDK, can someone confirm this? i am downloading it right now but it'll take a long time.

Q. Playable area: Is there any extra setting to go in the playable area asset to get it working to stop actor moving beyond the boundary? 

On 7/6/2016 at 2:28 AM, Smee said:

Q. Playable area: Is there any extra setting to go in the playable area asset to get it working to stop actor moving beyond the boundary? 

i don't think this is implemented yet. you're better of asking in the squad modding discord. 

i do believe i have seen out of bound boxes or whatever

Can someone post a screenshot of how it looks when finished?

And another question, will the map look normal when i press enter button? Or will that change to?

Edited by reexe

Just tried this tutorial. Followed the steps twice now and it didnt work.

What i ended up with was a bunch of small pieces of my map for each grid, i.e 0,0 - 0,1 - 0,2 etc.

Any idea what im doing wrong or is the "Generate Minimap" function currently broken?

Edit: Solved it thanks to EliteLurker - from what I found that worked for me and another was setting title count to 1, and Tilte Res 4096, after it has map the min-map you my need to manual find it and select it as the min map texture - is hsould be in the same foldr as the map, you my want to FISRT delete any garbge that it has generated and place in the map folder

Edited by Von^Snoe

Posted (edited)

wow, UE4 has some messed up naming for things, (the Map generator being called a MiniMap, peeps using Level and Map in the same context, amongst others) i'm having trouble finding any info on this type of map generation and can't find anything, just the SceneCapture2D thing, which seems clumsy to me.

Does anyone have any links to tutes using this type of generation, and usage, instead of the 2D Capture thing? that way i can have a Map from which i can make a MiniMap.

edit:

On 04/09/2016 at 10:10 AM, Von^Snoe said:

Edit: Solved it thanks to EliteLurker - from what I found that worked for me and another was setting title count to 1, and Tile Res 4096, after it has map the min-map you my need to manual find it and select it as the min map texture - is hsould be in the same foldr as the map, you my want to FISRT delete any garbge that it has generated and place in the map folder

worked for me as well. ^ in MiniMap Marker Settings, in World Settings

Edited by LaughingJack