Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy_Chuck

Stream sniping and mini map UI

Scenario: you're streaming your Squad play with minimal to no delay to encourage real-time interaction with your viewers

Situation: anyone viewing your stream can snipe your FOB locations/troop movements, etc.

Solution: currently, the only solution is to delay your stream or opt to not stream.  This presents a couple of issues - one, you lose interaction with your viewers and may end up having people leave the stream/lose interest in the game for potential new players thinking of buying it. Second, delaying the stream still doesn't prevent FOB hunting.  I actually busted a player in game following my stream on Twitch.  And fwiw, disabling the server name while streaming isn't really a solution, since only a handful of servers are ever populated and your server can be discovered real quickly

Suggestion/Discussion: as the game progresses and improved in game coding occurs, what about incorporating further user customization of the game to help alleviate the situation above.  Specifically, disable the map UI while streaming or enable a feature for those that utilize dual monitors to to detach the map UI and move it to a second monitor.  This would serve two purposes - one, it would enable a larger viewing area for the stream viewer and player while providing some measure of secrecy even though comms could potentially still give away some details as well.

Not sure it is even possible.  Just thinking outside of the box.......

Stream sniping isn't really a big problem for other players. It is more of a problem for popular streamers and I don't think this issue has a big priority in DEV's schedule. There are easier ways to get intel about enemy team for the guys, who doesn't want to play fair. But, there was a few cases in PR, when streaming was abused by some guys and server admins was discussing this (too bad I don't remember their decision). For example, streaming is forbidden on many servers like Tushino Arma server even with a delay. It will get you banned without a doubt and without exceptions. There is some russian streamer with close to million subs and he is not streaming because of this (after match videos only).

Soon FOBs are gonna be fortified and have a squad dedicated to defending it. I don't think the devs like the way FOBs are at the moment as everyone finds a sneaky sneaky place to place one rather than place one behind the front lines to keep enemy's away from it. 

Maybe stream sniping will still be a problem if you want to hide your logistics operations. 

I seriously hope we don't bend over and get fucked because of streamers. I'd like to remind everyone that DayZ literally removed a massive chunk of UI features to pander to streamers. If you want to stream, suffer the consequences, simple as that. 

^ Bingo! Varenyky

" If you want to stream, suffer the consequences "  - pretty much what i thought as soon as i read the OP.  Just another, complaining about their own decisions and expecting everbody else to change to suit them, instead of accepting the cosequences of their actions - seems to be the norm these days <sigh>

Well those consequences affect the entire team. I don't understand the appeal of streaming, but I've seen people advertise that they are streaming using the in game chat.... Like how stupid do you have to be? Is someone going to quit the game just to watch you? No of course not... They are going to alt-tab and find all your fob and rally positions and ruin the game

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

^ Bingo! Varenyky

" If you want to stream, suffer the consequences "  - pretty much what i thought as soon as i read the OP.  Just another, complaining about their own decisions and expecting everbody else to change to suit them, instead of accepting the cosequences of their actions - seems to be the norm these days <sigh>

How is adding an option for the map and spawn screen being shown on 2nd monitor expecting any change from everybody else? It benefits everybody as the whole team suffers from stream sniping, not just the streamer.

8 minutes ago, banOkay said:

How is adding an option for the map and spawn screen being shown on 2nd monitor expecting any change from everybody else? It benefits everybody as the whole team suffers from stream sniping, not just the streamer.

It's the best solution, seeing as 90% of streamers have a second monitor already (just a guess). It's a completely true that the whole team loses out when one player streams. I'd say ticket count, map, and spawn screen should be hidden on second screen.

2 hours ago, banOkay said:

aah, what now?,  sorry mate, you've lost me there, what are you talking about? i said nothing UI (tho i see your point . . .  i think) - i only quoted part of VS's post . . . that was extent of my input. i still stand by My comment and the point i was making.

( i think you maybe should have quoted Verenyky instead, ban'  )

. . .

re-reading a few times (the 3 posts above): ok, so it effects the entire team ('spose thats obvious, thinking about it. but still  not My original point). then i have a possible solution - don't allow streaming. if someone is caught streaming then kick them from the server. i also agree with what Psyrus said.

;)

Edited by LaughingJack

5 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

aah, what now?,  sorry mate, you've lost me there, what are you talking about? i said nothing UI (tho i see your point . . .  i think) - i only quoted part of VS's post . . . that was extent of my input. i still stand by My comment and the point i was making.

( i think you maybe should have quoted Verenyky instead, ban'  )

. . .

re-reading a few times (the 3 posts above): ok, so it effects the entire team ('spose thats obvious, thinking about it. but still  not My original point). then i have a possible solution - don't allow streaming. if someone is caught streaming then kick them from the server. i also agree with what Psyrus said.

;)

What a great solution, let's not allow for streaming because some ignorant people don't want to see an option that has nothing to do with them being added. I really don't understand why you're against the UI only being shown on someone's 2nd monitor, what's the problem?

Look at it this way, Squad is a niche game - the developers have even stated on record that their goal is to find the middle ground between BF4 and ARMA III - in order to do that, you have to attract potential players in various mediums - streaming is one of those mediums.  I along with several of the regular streamers of Squad have introduced the game to countless numbers of people that otherwise may have never even heard or had interest in the game.  In the last week alone I've added over 20 new followers that do not have the game currently and are BF4 players.  After watching my stream and asking questions about gameplay, several of those people have now purchased the game.

I understand your perspectives though about streaming and being at risk of sniping - legitimate point.  Even if you don't agree with streaming, you have to admit though that the ability to move your mini map to a second monitor while still being able to view the entire FOV would be a sweet feature and would reduce the chances of you getting whacked while checking your map for positional references called out by your SL or other teammates..

I agree that streamers are good for spreading awareness of Squad, and i can see that a popular one has a big risk of getting stream sniped. Moving the map to 2. monitor would be a fine solution AS LONG AS YOU CANT KEEP IT UP ALL THE TIME. Otherwise it would be a huge unfair advantage for people with 2 monitors, like myself.

14 minutes ago, Gorzu said:

I agree that streamers are good for spreading awareness of Squad, and i can see that a popular one has a big risk of getting stream sniped. Moving the map to 2. monitor would be a fine solution AS LONG AS YOU CANT KEEP IT UP ALL THE TIME. Otherwise it would be a huge unfair advantage for people with 2 monitors, like myself.

A solution to this could be to blur out the rest of the screen, similar to what happens when you open up the spawn screen.

I view stream sniping as a form of cheating that has team-wide consequences in this game. Therefore this deserves attention.

hmm wonder if there is a way to trick obs into making somthing appear blank or blurred. (from in game so its automatic)

edit: had a thought to that end.. in game capture mode in obs you can't pick up steam overlay so the question is could that trick be used for just the map and have map still function as normal? that way 2 monitor wouldn't' be required? (ofc only functioning if streamer mode is turned on)

Edited by WiFiDi

17 hours ago, banOkay said:

What a great solution, let's not allow for streaming because some ignorant people don't want to see an option that has nothing to do with them being added. I really don't understand why you're against the UI only being shown on someone's 2nd monitor, what's the problem?

You started this ban'. you could have gone Varenyky or Psyrus, both of whom actaully made the comments that i simply part-quoted, but no, you went me ( the easier target of course).

ok.

1. don't infer i'm ignorant.

2. i said nothing about not wanting this option you keep drooling on about.

3. i'm not against it at all and i have no idea where you conjured up the idea that i was.

4. the problem is you are still not comprehending my original comment.

so, to reiterate my point again for you (more simple-like this time): i can't stand complainers that refuse to deal with their own decisions and expect the rest of the universe to adjust around them.

Quote: Cowboy_Chuck " ...  the ability to move your mini map to a second monitor while still being able to view the entire FOV would be a sweet feature. " agreed, indeed.

ban', if you want peeps streaming on your servers, then fine, do it and deal with it (after all, it's your decision), i couldn't care less, but you will have to accept that some servers may issue bans on/for streaming.

to finish: i've played bugger all time so far, but i have seen two or three Streamers running around in-game and to-a-man all were tards being silly and tardy whilst the rest of the team were trying to play. my experience with streamers both in Squad and ESO is that most come across as childish tards looking for their 15 minutes worth because they have a live audience.   it's the hip new thing don'cha'know - becoming orsimz by Likes. the kiddies love it!

17 hours ago, Cowboy_Chuck said:

you have to attract potential players in various mediums

16 hours ago, Gorzu said:

I agree that streamers are good for spreading awareness of Squad

Free weekend on steam and all of the sudden you have a flood of people buying a game after their free little trial.

Streaming as an advertisement is incomparably small.

3 hours ago, Rybec said:

Free weekend on steam and all of the sudden you have a flood of people buying a game after their free little trial.

Streaming as an advertisement is incomparably small.

yes but unlike free weekends you generally with a streamer will see someone who knows how to play the game or the concepts behind it.(atleast in squad from what i noticed) so when new player goes to play it he has a greater chance of having proper understanding of the games mechancis and how to acheive fun. 

where as free weekend is equivlent of letting 1000s of blind mice loose in a cornfield full of hungry cats. which doesn't end well in many ways that frankly i think are rather self expanitory. note for this reason paying popular streamers and youtubers to play a game they know nothing about is also bad for advertising (espeically when it comes to games like squad with higher learning curves or niche markets.)

Edited by WiFiDi

14 minutes ago, WiFiDi said:

you generally with a streamer will see someone who knows how to play the game or the concepts behind it

I'm going to call you out so hard right now.

1 hour ago, Rybec said:

I'm going to call you out so hard right now.

nice try but you left out this part ;) " (atleast in squad from what i noticed) " though to be fair i should have said youtube i sorta just automatically lumped them together as one giant entity.

also strawman harder!!! :P

On 8.6.2016 at 3:42 PM, WiFiDi said:

hmm wonder if there is a way to trick obs into making somthing appear blank or blurred.

just a suggestion:

would this be possible with "Simple scene switcher" for OBS?
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/simple-scene-switcher.29/

• scene A for streaming (std)
  • scene B for hiding map
    • if you press "m" for map, scene B is loaded, where a black_square.jpg is hiding the map.

set the hotkey "m" for scene A and B -> toggle (not sure if that works)

PS: I have absolutely no experience in streaming or using OBS.

4 hours ago, beginna said:

just a suggestion:

would this be possible with "Simple scene switcher" for OBS?
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/simple-scene-switcher.29/

• scene A for streaming (std)
  • scene B for hiding map
    • if you press "m" for map, scene B is loaded, where a black_square.jpg is hiding the map.

set the hotkey "m" for scene A and B -> toggle (not sure if that works)

PS: I have absolutely no experience in streaming or using OBS.

you wouldn't even need a scene switcher to do that you could just make an overlay image (set it to cover the map) then make a hotkey for its activation the same as the one you use for your maps. ;) as long as you didn't activate it out of sync youd have it always cover your map.

Edited by WiFiDi

14 hours ago, WiFiDi said:

nice try but you left out this part ;) " (atleast in squad from what i noticed) " though to be fair i should have said youtube i sorta just automatically lumped them together as one giant entity.

also strawman harder!!! :P

Oh please.

Half the people who play the game without streaming don't understand the core concept of the game.

Getting to try the game for yourself is by far the best way to get your full interest in the game. You know where you said it'd be like having "1000s of blind mice loose in a cornfield full of hungry cats"? Did you play PR before, during, and after it became a standalone? There was a period of a month or so where people were still learning what the hell to do and I constantly taught more than half of a squad at a time on how to do _____.

You're also assuming all those cats are on one team and the mice on the other. It would end up being people learning against people learning and that ended fine for PR.

On 6/8/2016 at 11:43 PM, LaughingJack said:

to finish: i've played bugger all time so far, but i have seen two or three Streamers running around in-game and to-a-man all were tards being silly and tardy whilst the rest of the team were trying to play. my experience with streamers both in Squad and ESO is that most come across as childish tards looking for their 15 minutes worth because they have a live audience.   it's the hip new thing don'cha'know - becoming orsimz by Likes. the kiddies love it!

That is a fair point, but you most likely have not participated in my streams then and with respect to those of us that play the game the right way and stream consistently (Zimm_Macugz, DesmoLocke, MrChaggy, Aoshisan, xXHardstylesXx, eKrub88, G_Man252, etc......) it would be greatly appreciated if you would swing by in stream with us and then you might have a greater appreciation for the content that we provide via streaming on Twitch.  You might even have the opportunity to help us out in stream answering the questions that we get while we play.