Mitsu

Project Reality: Arma 3 Development Update (June 2016)

6 hours ago, Robin Sage said:

ArmA and Competitive Mode just doesn't mix. 

Erm, by competitive mode do you mean PvP? There's plenty of decent PvP missions (and I don't mean survival/KotH etc).

5 minutes ago, Melbo said:

Erm, by competitive mode do you mean PvP? There's plenty of decent PvP missions (and I don't mean survival/KotH etc).

Agreed, some of the best moments I had in ArmA was Unit vs Unit missions. I played with ShackTac for a bit, and their PvP scenarios were quite intense.

ArmA has a nice little competitive scene, very niche in the ArmA community but It has it's place. Here's a video for reference.

1 hour ago, Melbo said:

By competitive I mean competitive mods in general. I played with shacktac for a good portion of ArmA 2 and OA when it first came out. ShackTac was the only group other than UO that I've seen PvP actually be successful. What I'm referring to is the general population servers with pubbies. ArmA 2 had PR as well and it was a total bust. That's just my opinion though. ArmA does Co-op Simulation very, very well and would be my go to game if I wanted a realism unit. However, the whole reason I played BF2 PR and now am playing Squad is for the PvP. Squad gives me something that ArmA cannot and as long as Squad does the combat portion of ArmA better than ArmA, I will always pick squad for PvP. 

10 hours ago, Robin Sage said:

It works. Just needs a lot of tinkering and balancing.

2 hours ago, Robin Sage said:

By competitive I mean competitive mods in general. I played with shacktac for a good portion of ArmA 2 and OA when it first came out. ShackTac was the only group other than UO that I've seen PvP actually be successful. What I'm referring to is the general population servers with pubbies. ArmA 2 had PR as well and it was a total bust. That's just my opinion though. ArmA does Co-op Simulation very, very well and would be my go to game if I wanted a realism unit. However, the whole reason I played BF2 PR and now am playing Squad is for the PvP. Squad gives me something that ArmA cannot and as long as Squad does the combat portion of ArmA better than ArmA, I will always pick squad for PvP. 

Too bad KOTH is like one of the most popular game modes out there. I don't like it but there are like hundreds of players on KOTH servers all the time.
PRA3 is really made to get the A3 community to enjoy their game in a tactical and communicative environment, without loosing the benefit of playing against other players and not twitch-reaction AI

Also maybe to clarify once more: PRA3 is not an alternative to Squad or PR:BF2. It's purely made for the A3 community.

Edited by Mitsu

BTW we have a playtest scheduled for the 12th November. 1000GMT and 1900GMT if someone is interested in joining. Only major bug atm is VOIP not working, so we are currently stuck with Discord.

18 hours ago, Robin Sage said:

Well Bohemia is trying with Project Argo.

Project Argo is a competitive tactical first-person shooter,
in which two bands of mercenaries compete over objectives in a 5-vs-5 match-up.

https://www.projectargo.net/

8 minutes ago, M.I.K.E. said:

Well Bohemia is trying with Project Argo.

Project Argo is a competitive tactical first-person shooter,
in which two bands of mercenaries compete over objectives in a 5-vs-5 match-up.

https://www.projectargo.net/

Yeah they definitely try to get into the competetive market. Wouldn't say Argo is a good example but definitely the step in the right direction.

I just think 5v5 in Arma is pretty dull given that weapon handling is a bit "clunky" or atleast not snappy enough

8 minutes ago, Mitsu said:

Yeah they definitely try to get into the competetive market. Wouldn't say Argo is a good example but definitely the step in the right direction.

I just think 5v5 in Arma is pretty dull given that weapon handling is a bit "clunky" or atleast not snappy enough

Indeed, it would be a lot cooler if they would try something like that but with big combined arms battles.

EDT: Oh and love the new videos of the current build! Performance seems really good already.

On 10/11/2016 at 4:31 PM, koschilein said:

Indeed, it would be a lot cooler if they would try something like that but with big combined arms battles.

EDT: Oh and love the new videos of the current build! Performance seems really good already.

I agree, End Game is kinda meh but there's potential. Maybe we can get BI to feature PRA3 in the Game Mode filters once it's released and gained a certain degree of popularity. It could be listed as AAS then.

Performance is pretty good indeed. Tomorrows playtest will include a number of new features so hopefully performance will be the same if not better.