Chuc

May 2016 Monthly Recap

Dinamix   
HO shit guy you made me dream, if you leave it for v7, i come to your country do you kiss ;) In any case, it's very good works, it's beautiful, modeling and movement are real.

Edited by Dinamix

Right, looks to me like Squad is on the right track and I'm glad to see that. Now for some things I think are worth pointing out:

1. It seems to me like the Ural's canvas cover is way too shiny. Maybe that's just me, but I've never seen a tarp that looks like that after even a single mile on the road. Is this nitpicky? Sure, but it's just something that tends to extrapolate me from immersion.
  2. Maybe it's just the lighroom that it's in, but the BTR-80 is way too shiny. I understand that the high surface points get more contact and there are more likely to have less paint and will likely be shiner, but overall the thing looks like it's covered in gloss rather than the standard Russian paint. One of the Russians here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've got the sneaking suspicion that the green used on it is the wrong color as well. The Russian military has a very interesting shade of green they coat their vehicles in, and it's a good bit more vomit-y than that.
  3. To me it looks like all the doors in the apartment are closed; does that mean we can hope to have door opening/closing in the future? I'd love to see that as it could really help with the confusion of an apartment building. Things aren't as fun when you're playing PR and apartments have no doors so sweeping the building is quick and easy. 
  4. Glad to see the SKS in the game, but to me it looks like:
    1. The stock is too long
    2. The grip angle and thickness are way off 
    3. The barrel is a bit thin
      1. Overall, not a bad job, but I think it's quite a bit off. What are the plans for the implementation of this gun? Please don't force this thing on the medic.
  5. I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that the PPSh-41 is using stick mags. I'm the at least one guy on the team knows this, but the stick mags were actually developed after the drum magazines because the drums were poor and had a tendency to jam (which is funny because they're a direct ripoff of the Kp/-31 drum, which is noted for its excellence). The stick mags might have a lower capacity, but having 71 rounds isn't all that great when you can't make it through a full magazine without having to fix a jam. 
  6. Tokarev model looks nice, but why the colored star? I don't ever remember seeing a Tokarev with a colored star in the grip, though it is possible they made some that way. I guess seeing this also marks the end of days of strictly laid out classes with no room for choice? My assumption comes from the fact that it'll be a supplement for the Makarov.
  7. Yehorivka looks stunning, and that's without AA or any of that other stuff that really gives a map its definition and sharpness. I can't wait to see what this map will look like once completed and with proper graphical settings.

1 hour ago, Mumble said:

I'm surprised to see no models for the PG-7 HEAT round. Won't we need those to go against BTR-80s?

Very exciting to hear that the focus is on vehicles now. Hope to see them in the next few months.

You do realize the BTR-80 is thin skinned and can be penetrated by the proper .50 caliber ammunition, right? They're not really meant to take anything more than small arms fire, so why would a more specialized rocket be needed to take one out?

Disco   

Great recap as always! Congratz to all devs!

btw what are those blue and green pins all over solders face (in animation screenshot)? Acupuncture treatment? Sublime message how stressed our devs are? :D

Mumble   
18 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

You do realize the BTR-80 is thin skinned and can be penetrated by the proper .50 caliber ammunition, right? They're not really meant to take anything more than small arms fire, so why would a more specialized rocket be needed to take one out?

You do realize that the PG-7 round is actually more common than the OG-7V that's in-game, right? Also, if an infantry squad comes up against a BTR, they won't be carrying around a 50 cal and will want more than frag rounds to penetrate the armor. The OG-7V isn't designed to have any penetrating properties, wheras the PG-7 is able to pierce up to an inch of armor.

You are right about the shiny tarp though. The BTR isn't too shiny I don't think. They'll get it figured out. :)

Door opening and closing is planned, don't know if it will be in v7 though.

49 minutes ago, VarenykySupreme said:

1. Glad to see the SKS in the game, but to me it looks like:
    1. The stock is too long
    2. The grip angle and thickness are way off 
    3. The barrel is a bit thin
      1. Overall, not a bad job, but I think it's quite a bit off. What are the plans for the implementation of this gun? Please don't force this thing on the medic.

The only thing I've ever wanted for me medic! Where is your sense of PR :/

Militia medic with SKS will complete me ;) 

But you did write "force on" and I'm always for options :) 

And as always, good read in recap :D 

OMG! I need to open a window...don't know how big it becomes !!! O.o

Very nice recap devs! You are doing great... I keep staying behind you...can come what wants! :)

35 minutes ago, Mumble said:

You do realize that the PG-7 round is actually more common than the OG-7V that's in-game, right? Also, if an infantry squad comes up against a BTR, they won't be carrying around a 50 cal and will want more than frag rounds to penetrate the armor. The OG-7V isn't designed to have any penetrating properties, wheras the PG-7 is able to pierce up to an inch of armor.

You are right about the shiny tarp though. The BTR isn't too shiny I don't think. They'll get it figured out. :)

Door opening and closing is planned, don't know if it will be in v7 though.

Wait, I've actually never played the RPG class in Squad; you mean to tell me it's the OG-7V that's currently in game rather than the PG-7VL? Shit, now I feel stupid. Yeah, PG-7 series all together needs to be in game, but I still wouldn't doubt that the OG-7V might be able to knock out a BTR-80 if the shot is well placed.

As for infantry squads taking on a BTR alone: I don't think the goal is to be able to kill it so much as to be able to disable it with either a LAW or an OG-7V. Both of those should be more than enough to send it careening back to base looking for repairs rather than lingering around looking to pick a fight. That being said, this'll boost the necessity of fortifications to defeat vehicles as well as give M2 gunners another target to shoot at, assuming that the M2's penetration is replicated in game. 

Good to hear that door opening and closing is planned, and I'm glad you agree on the tarp but I still think that the BTR is too shiny. I'm sure someone will come along and arbitrate.

10 minutes ago, Mellanbror said:

The only thing I've ever wanted for me medic! Where is your sense of PR :/

Militia medic with SKS will complete me ;) 

But you did write "force on" and I'm always for options :) 

And as always, good read in recap :D 

My sense of PR is here, but I also remember nobody ever wanted to play the medic for insurgent factions in PR because they didn't want to be stuck with crappy weapons like the SKS or the Skorpion. I just want the medics to carry rational firearms rather than being singled out for a good dicking the way they currently are in both games. I'd like to see the option be there, but I don't want anyone forced to carry a substantially sub-par weapon. 

Still hoping to see a bolt action rifle (without a sniper scope on it) like the Mosin Nagant and the Lee Enfield for the Insurgents. And whoever the artist is that worked on those apartments went beyond the call of duty, they look amazing!

Boxknife   

Personally excited to see when shotguns and the new insurgent models will be coming in! Keep up the solid work! Most progressive EA dev team around.