NotBrad

AMD Graphics Cards

113 posts in this topic
On 6/1/2016 at 6:17 PM, NotBrad said:

Well, at least one of those things, the Rx 480 is specifically designed to meet the requirements for vr...

 

Hmm, so they say, but I have my doubts even concerning the 1070, and that's very VR-optimized, what with the SMP thingy. The RX 480 isn't as powerful as the 1070 AND it doesn't have an SMP system, so it should perform about half as well as the 1070 in a VR environment. Or so I believe =P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if UE4 will handicap the new AMD Graphics because Nvidia says so.

Thats really what has happened thus far with AMD cpu's and UE4...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TheNirl said:

 

Hmm, so they say, but I have my doubts even concerning the 1070, and that's very VR-optimized, what with the SMP thingy. The RX 480 isn't as powerful as the 1070 AND it doesn't have an SMP system, so it should perform about half as well as the 1070 in a VR environment. Or so I believe =P

Not likely. Any VR title has been in development since after the distribution of DX12, and the Rx 480 has at least 5.5 TF pretty much confirmed for it's max compute, so we are guaranteed to be VR ready on the card. I say that because you can already play vr on the less powerful R9 390, and this card has a baseline +/- 5% performance advantage before overclock given the minimum total TF throughput. Maybe you won't be maxing out the best looking VR titles on single card but dual Rx 480's will blow the socks off a GTX 1080 at native clock speeds, so for this generation I'll call this a win for AMD. They cannot afford to lower the price on the GTX 1070 right now because that would kill their reputation, people who bought would feel ripped off and those who were about to buy would realize that Nvidia was ripping them off. So no matter how you slice it there is no way for Nvidia to avoid the coming recapture of market share without pissing off their most die-hard fans. I think AMD played it right, and when VEGA lands in Q4 or Q1 2017 they'll mop the floor with Nvidia in a thoroughly satisfying way. And with another more powerful card AMD confirmed during this same live-stream and based on P10(not Vega) yet to be revealed, we can expect that whatever it is(Rx 480x or Rx 490) to go at least to 6TF. So at $300 for 6TF? We already know that the 1070 is 6.5 for $350, and we know for sure that the Rx 480 isn't the most powerful P10, so if we assume that the unannounced card is rocking 48 compute units... whoa, single card performance scaling would suggest at least 7TF for $300 or as much as 7.5TF... That's just wishful thinking though, we don't know for sure what the base P10 compute unit count is so it's hard to assume that it is going to be directly scaled on a base 12.

 

BTW, SMP isn't really a huge deal, the performance hit isn't from the dual rendering of geometry, it's from the extra pixel draw calls. GPUs can power through geometry like it's nobodies business but suffer when it comes to the actual pixels and the resolution, whether it's 4K or 720p the game still has to draw the same geometry. Plus in addition to that the units responsible for geometry can't be utilized for shading and any redundant performance gains in this department can't be used to make performance boosts elsewhere. Just like how you can't offload GPU workload to a non-APU processor, it just isn't designed to accommodate the task.

 

TL;DR: Even if we get the lowest specs that AMD has confirmed it is already impossible for Nvidia to achieve price/performance supremacy without taking a significant hit to profit(might even have to sell at a loss). And with another more powerful card confirmed by based on P10(not Vega) yet to be revealed, we can expect that whatever it is(Rx 480x or Rx 490) to go at least to 6TF. So at $300 for 6TF? We already know that the 1070 won't actually sell at that $350 based on the third party 1080 designs, so AMD and Nvidia users alike can rest assured that we will see better prices following this generation regardless of the current pricing scheme.

Edited by NotBrad
Something was bass ackwards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NotBrad said:

BTW, SMP isn't really a huge deal, the performance hit isn't from the dual rendering of geometry, it's from the extra pixel draw calls. GPUs can power through geometry like it's nobodies business but suffer when it comes to the actual pixels and the resolution, whether it's 4K or 720p the game still has to draw the same geometry. Plus in addition to that the units responsible for geometry can't be utilized for shading and any redundant performance gains in this department can't be used to make performance boosts elsewhere. Just like how you can't offload GPU workload to a non-APU processor, it just isn't designed to accommodate the task.

 

TL;DR: Even if we get the lowest specs that AMD has confirmed it is already impossible for Nvidia to achieve price/performance supremacy without taking a significant hit to profit(might even have to sell at a loss). And with another more powerful card confirmed by based on P10(not Vega) yet to be revealed, we can expect that whatever it is(Rx 480x or Rx 490) to go at least to 6TF. So at $300 for 6TF? We already know that the 1070 won't actually sell at that $350 based on the third party 1080 designs, so AMD and Nvidia users alike can rest assured that we will see better prices following this generation regardless of the current pricing scheme.

 

Well, I go by the demonstration nvidia presented at the 1080 unveiling... SMP activation showed a jump from the 60s to the 90-ish range of FPS. I didn't think they could (or, more importantly, WOULD) really fake that.

 

But I think the most important thing here to note is this: we have a giant aiming at mid-range prices and top performance. I'm sure they'll give nvidia a run for their money and make us, the consumers, save a lot of money in the process. By the way, what do you gather of the third party 1070 designs? Below or above 400$? I have yet to establish a reasonable comparison to the 1080 ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheNirl said:

 

Well, I go by the demonstration nvidia presented at the 1080 unveiling... SMP activation showed a jump from the 60s to the 90-ish range of FPS. I didn't think they could (or, more importantly, WOULD) really fake that.

 

But I think the most important thing here to note is this: we have a giant aiming at mid-range prices and top performance. I'm sure they'll give nvidia a run for their money and make us, the consumers, save a lot of money in the process. By the way, what do you gather of the third party 1070 designs? Below or above 400$? I have yet to establish a reasonable comparison to the 1080 ones.

They also showed that the GTX 1080 had the same VR performance as SLI 980s. Which is to do with hardware change, it is easy to say that based on their new architecture that the enabling of that feature also factors into the significant performance boost as well for VR, that is to say they are common cause rather than cause-effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1. 6. 2016 at 11:58 AM, rincewind said:

man this deserves it's own screenshot:

TRoj.png

 

 

sure it's sad amd could not compete but nvidia still wins 

i'm outta this thread and let amd fanboys to enjoy themselves

 

I'm gonna touch up on this again. The reason that the images look different is because of 1080 was: "incorrectly executing the terrain shaders responsible for populating the environment with the appropriate amount of snow. The GTX 1080 is doing less work to render AOTS than it otherwise would if the shader were being run properly" (source).

 

Turns out the new drivers "fix" this issue and the driver used was a press one. So did Nvidia just have a bad driver that wasn't ready for 1080 launch or did their driver conveniently forget to render something in order for that power to be used elsewhere and therefore getting better framerate? Either way it was Nvidia's fault.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just going to leave this here for you guys to speculate upon and debate the plausibility of.. I know some of you who bought/pre-ordered the 1070 would be too butthurt to accept it until confirmed by a third party, but fanbois be fanbois.

wMtxfNC.jpg

Either way, given the architectural superiority of GCN 1.3 over Pascal (*cough* Maxwell) we can all do simple math here, and a 480 would actually be capable of that at 1400 MHz... So hopefully this is a sustainable OC?

 

A man can dream at least.

*this was copied from the 1070 thread*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vega dual gpu 495x2 fury crossfire x2 + zen 12 nm 32 or 64 core @ 5 ghz

lel that is insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm selling my 970 to get the 480 8GB.

 

at worst case, 

 

i am spending around 30$ to get a 8gb of Vram (not 3.5) at a lower power draw/Heat. 

 

at best it seems the 480 can hit around the 980 in turns of performances..from the leak graphics that are in the realm of reality (1.5...on air....really AMD fanboys? Really?)

 

so in anycase things i wont be losing on anything for paying 30$ or around that. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1.6.2016 at 6:39 AM, SuicidalChair said:

apparently 2 of them performed better then one 1080, so $400 vs $600, pretty sick.

 

maybe but thinking of the higher power consumption, heat expansion and overall problems that come with running multiple GPU's

i am not really excited about the RX 480

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FIXXXER said:

 

maybe but thinking of the higher power consumption, heat expansion and overall problems that come with running multiple GPU's

i am not really excited about the RX 480

 

the 480 is good for the price it is. its not for the 400$ plus spender like the 15% of the market.

 

this is a good single 230$ card for the 85% of the market. for what it does at the price its pretty great. anyways if that is going to spend 400$ than simple buy the 1070. Cross fire/SLI is a roll of the dice until a few years later where it will become the norm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MrOcto said:

FAIL

Its what I expected to be honest, for that price. AMD cards are known for getting hot, so I'm not too surprised on that either.
I am impressed by its power usage though.

This is why I wait for legit reviews/benchmarks and don't let the hype fans and companies make get to me, pre release.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MrOcto said:

FAIL

I would not judge to quick, maybe they had pre release driver´s and the performance of custom cards will get better. At the moment it is a bit sad that the performance seems worse then the GTX 970 in most games though.

 

But I will wait for more reviews before my final judgement and for custom designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, for one, am waiting for an in-depth review and aftermarket coolers, but so far it's not looking bad.

Would love to hear how the performance is in Squad once someone here gets one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benchmarks are out in the open from most reputable tech reviewers.. it trades blows with gtx 970...

New EVGA gtx 970 = 240€, new rx 480 reference 8gb 269€  #facepalm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MrOcto said:

FAIL

 

 

Stupid red v green rabbit hole, hardly a fail, probably not the super success EVERYONE wanted to bring prices down and performance up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked up an 8 gb 480 today I'll let you guys know how performance is in squad whenever I get a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jackmomma said:

I just picked up an 8 gb 480 today I'll let you guys know how performance is in squad whenever I get a chance.

but-why.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jack momma, please do let us know what kind of performance you get with the new card. There's plenty of us that are interested!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, banOkay said:

 

perfdollar_1920_1080.png

Maybe in the US.. here in EU it's more expensive than gtx 970 & r9 390

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now