ahmetcakiroglu135

There has to be a "toggle" focus

I would like to keep the focus until the AA actually works, after that I'd like to see it removed as well. It's not the best gameplay mechanic imho

Maki   
11 minutes ago, MultiSquid said:

I would like to keep the focus until the AA actually works, after that I'd like to see it removed as well. It's not the best gameplay mechanic imho

You can force it to work using the Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector. 

2 minutes ago, Maki said:

You can force it to work using the Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector. 

Or you can turn it on ingame, the result is the same, the game becomes blurry. It doesn't work like it's supposed to.

Edited by MultiSquid

Maki   
Just now, MultiSquid said:

Or you can turn it on ingame, the result is the same, the game becomes blurry.

It does not work the same if I recall. Americas Army 3 used UE3 which had the same issue, crank up the AA using an outside program and it's fine.

3e58i   

@bilsantuActually I think the slight zoom fits well. It's hard enough as it is to pick apart pixels and see things with the FOV/resolution that I have at this point. My opinion is that the Focus mechanic serves as a natural bridge between the cramped nature offered by PC gaming and real life visibility. It also serves as another drawback of depleting your stamina, since you can't engage Focus when below 1/3 stamina.

Maki   
3 minutes ago, 3e58i said:

@bilsantuActually I think the slight zoom fits well. It's hard enough as it is to pick apart pixels and see things with the FOV/resolution that I have at this point. My opinion is that the Focus mechanic serves as a natural bridge between the cramped nature offered by PC gaming and real life visibility. It also serves as another drawback of depleting your stamina, since you can't engage Focus when below 1/3 stamina.

What resolution are you at? I play a few games that do not offer that zoom feature and it's fine for me. The default FOV is too narrow, I set mine to 100 or 110 and it's perfect.

Edited by Maki

3e58i   

@MakiOff the top of my head: 1920×1080 with 90º Field of View. Important to note is that I am a low-end user, so no Anti-Aliasing or other softening.

I use the zoom to pick out movement amongst the many details in the landscape and to get a clear sight picture. I almost exclusively use iron-sights. Without the zoom mechanic, I estimate that the angle and correction needed with my mouse movement would need to be so fine that my "reasonable" engagement range would fall below 100 m.

I think the scale of the maps, the engagement ranges and the FOV coupled with screen resolution is key in this phenomena. Other FPS games tend to not be at the same scale that Squad is. Though since it's fine for you @Maki, could you elaborate on what games you're thinking of and how you are playing Squad? E.g. are the games very large in scale and are you using primarily iron sights in Squad? Maybe there is some factor that I'm missing here.

Edited by 3e58i
Damn forum emoticons.

Brisk   
15 minutes ago, Maki said:

What resolution are you at? I play a few games that do not offer that zoom feature and it's fine for me. The default FOV is too narrow, I set mine to 100 or 110 and it's perfect.

Don't try to tell me that any FOV/resolution combination you've got even comes close to the clarity you get in real life. 200 meters in Squad does NOT look the same as 200 meters IRL.

The focus mechanic is completely justified in attempting to emulate realistic scenarios.

Edited by Brisk

Maki   
3 minutes ago, 3e58i said:

@MakiOff the top of my head: 1920×1080 with 90º Field of View. Important to note is that I am a low-end user, so no Anti-Aliasing or other softening.

I use the zoom to pick out movement amongst the many details in the landscape and to get a clear sight picture. I almost exclusively use iron-sights. Without the zoom mechanic, I estimate that the angle and correction needed with my mouse movement would need to be so fine that my "reasonable" engagement range would fall below 100 m.

I think the scale of the maps, the engagement ranges and the FOV coupled with screen resolution is key in this phenomena. Other FPS games tend to not be at the same scale that Squad is. Though since it's fine for you @Maki, could you elaborate on what games you're thinking of and how you are playing Squad? E.g. are the games very large in scale and are you using primarily iron sights in Squad? Maybe there is some factor that I'm missing here. :D

One of them is Red Orchestra 2 with the IOM mod, it gets rid of the zoom. I play with 1920x1080 also. I use iron sights the same as you do.

Edited by Maki

Maki   
20 minutes ago, Brisk said:

Don't try to tell me that any FOV/resolution combination you've got even comes close to the clarity you get in real life. 200 meters in Squad does NOT look the same as 200 meters IRL.

The focus mechanic is completely justified in attempting to emulate realistic scenarios.

I never did, did I?

Edited by Maki

3e58i   

@Maki I would not try to make a shot at 274 meters either. :3 I just find that I can't expect myself to consistently make shots at living targets with iron sights at over 100 m. This is a "low" estimate to account for the average shooter. It simply starts to become too finicky when trying to correct your aim with the mouse.

I'll have to look up some game play for RO2 with the IOM mod to get an idea of the scale. Oh and while we're talking specifications, do you play with Anti-Aliasing on? I expect it to help with discerning far-away movement. And what is the horizontal width of your monitor screen IRL? How close do you sit to your screen?

Maki   
2 minutes ago, 3e58i said:

@Maki I would not try to make a shot at 274 meters either. :3 I just find that I can't expect myself to consistently make shots at living targets with iron sights at over 100 m. This is a "low" estimate to account for the average shooter. It simply starts to become too finicky when trying to correct your aim with the mouse.

I'll have to look up some game play for RO2 with the IOM mod to get an idea of the scale. Oh and while we're talking specifications, do you play with Anti-Aliasing on? I expect it to help with discerning far-away movement. And what is the horizontal width of your monitor screen IRL? How close do you sit to your screen?

No, AA is terrible at the moment, I just turn the resolution scale up to 130. My monitor is 68 cm and I am about 76 cm from it.

Edited by Maki

3e58i   

@MakiMine has 48 cm horizontal screen space and I sit about 68 cm from mine. I bring this up because it may imply that details on-screen may be smaller or larger for us, making the use of a zoom feature more or less warranted. Or maybe I just have bad eye sight. Anyway, to avoid calculations we can both do an in-game test. We can both go to Jensen's range and - while standing in the exact same spot - look exactly north and take a screen shot both with ADS and with Focus Zoom. (I advice prone for minimal screen deviation.) We then record the IRL width on the screen of the same pixelated feature (say, one of the 100 m targets). Then we can compare screenshots and IRL distances to give us some background on if items are larger or smaller. Or if my low settings are just an excuse for my atrocious aim. ; P

That's to say, if you are up for it. I realize that not everyone is as fond of testing as I am. >_>'

Edited by 3e58i

There are two sides to this coin, because on one hand, the zoom that occurs when holding your breath is preposterous and unrealistic, but on the other hand the first person view is too far away from your weapon when sighting; it feels like you're miles away from the rear sight.

IMO, just remove zoom and bring the weapon a bit closer when sighting, and you're good.

Dtodt13   

I really like the zoom because it helps out a lot with spotting enemies and relaying their position to the squad as well as possibly getting a kill with iron sights at a distance 

15 hours ago, 3e58i said:

No, it really doesn't. I agree as much as anyone else that the lack of AA makes it rather hard to aim right now, but once it gets fixed up this mechanic needs to go. The devs have stated many times that they want to keep engagement distances rather short, so this is counter-intuitive. They've actually gimped quite a few other aspects of the game yet have kept this, and for what reason I don't know. 

15 hours ago, 3e58i said:

Important to note is that I am a low-end user, so no Anti-Aliasing or other softening.

Hate to say it dude, but that's your problem. The devs absolutely should not ruin the game in an attempt to cater to low-end players. You might not be able to afford a better computer, but I shouldn't have the value of my purchase fucked over because someone else chose not to upgrade their PC. Might that sound cold and harsh? You're damn right, but at the same time, that's how the world is. Maybe rather than buying a $40 game You'll save up another $160 and get a high end GPU. 

ZiGreen   

no.gif

Shooters DON't hold breath to make an accurate shot! They are breathing, calm and slowly. Shooter DON'T focus on target while shooting at long distances, they are focus on frontsight. Why, why do people continue to repeat this bullshit about "focus" again and again?!

If you want gameplay to finally kill every peace of reality in Squad, I'd like to suggest a new mechanic: if you want to make a highly accurate shot, just ask your squaddie to squeeze your balls to protrude your eyes and stop your breath. It will work as current zoom mechanics and greatly promote teamwork in addition.

4 hours ago, ZiGreen said:

Shooters DON't hold breath to make an accurate shot! They are breathing, calm and slowly. Shooter DON'T focus on target while shooting at long distances, they are focus on frontsight.

Breathing control and holding on the 1/2 inhale or 1/2 exhale is a precision shooting technique, not so much during rapid though.

Your front sight is part of your sight picture, and so is the target.

Zoom/focus is one of the few breaks from realism that I am 100% happy with in Squad. It's something that makes games like this more comfortable reasonable to play.

With the naked eye and irons sights, I can distinguish a human figure (or fig. 11 target in my case) "easily" at 500m, bury most or all of the target with the front sight, and get hits. Without focus/zoom (hell even with it right now) we can't do that in Squad, or any other shooter for that matter.

My father was a sharpshooter in the army, I just asked him about holding breath LOL he called this "holding a breath to take a shot" is the biggest pile of bullshit he has ever heard in his entire life, he then asked me with what kind of idiots am I hanging with, needed to calm him down "Dad its just Squad, theres many braindead there..."

Now for the focus,
In real life its completely normal that you can see, shoot and hit with iron sights and recognise human silhouette on 500+ meters. In some FPS games you can't because - "pixels". Zooming is a good counter to that, but holding breath...... don't let me go into that again LOL

Edited by Rainmaker

8 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

this mechanic needs to go. The devs have stated many times that they want to keep engagement distances rather short, so this is counter-intuitive. They've actually gimped quite a few other aspects of the game yet have kept this, and for what reason I don't know. 

Source?

I for one wish the focused POV was the standard one.The standard one just feels too far back from the rear sights. Especially on the AKs where the front post is pixels thin.

Sorry guys but I don't think op was asking if focus should be included in the game or not but that he should have a choice how the key function works.

With the op's request in mind I am happy with the hold key function rather than toggle but I am also in favour of allowing the games functions to be tailored to how individuals want it to work.

+1 for toggle focus OPTION.