Z-trooper

Scope Implementation Discussion

Urgh!...Absolutely awful...Who wanna play this rubbish.. :lol:

Who wants still to play any EA FPS? Lol

Should I say:

Who still wants to play any EA FPS ? Lol

Well ... Star Wars is nice but this scope system is just poor rubbish. :/ But otherwise i will be playing Squad for a long time so i don't care :D

The front sight post looks very out of place looking through a acog. I never notice it when im looking down mine,and im sure others have the same experience.

A very blurred front post would be more accurate but I'm unsure if this is possible with the new system?

I don't think there's a perfect solution for that.  It seems to be; either blur it, or remove it entirely for magnified optic equipped rifles

The front sight is blurred, but really isn't noticeable unless you focus on it, I took a picture to try to show it, but to me a photo doesn't do justice to what your eyes actually see. In person the battery cap and edge of the scope are much more clear and the blur of the front sight is much less pronounced. It's one of those things that you have to experience first that photos just can't quite replicate43a4326096.jpg. Pic is looking through my ELCAN SpecterOS 4x at a hill about 1.25 miles away.

The front sight is blurred, but really isn't noticeable unless you focus on it, I took a picture to try to show it, but to me a photo doesn't do justice to what your eyes actually see. In person the battery cap and edge of the scope are much more clear and the blur of the front sight is much less pronounced. It's one of those things that you have to experience first that photos just can't quite replicate43a4326096.jpg. Pic is looking through my ELCAN SpecterOS 4x at a hill about 1.25 miles away.

There are other examples shown in Google images that offer different POV persectives

https://www.google.ca/search?q=SpecterOS+4x&biw=1536&bih=732&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIi_K5_5rexgIVRKceCh0-DAjq#imgrc=FgZWteld8C1YwM%3A

Question:

As far as R2T/PiP scopes go.. isn't it POSSIBLE to make it a player-option whether or not to have it on or use the "traditional" style? 

Would it not just be the difference in having (on the player's side) a toggle (true/false code command) whether or not the game enables the features of it? Since it's (as far as I myself have experienced by tinkering with UE4 thus far) just some added elements attached to the "bones"?

Like, it wouldn't decrease performance by having it toggled off and the objects still being attached to the "bones", where this would just make them invisible (or visibly "false" for the player)/just not triggering the game to do the additional rendering to the texture it would display that render on (when it is enabled).

It just seems like that texture would be completely see-through when it doesn't have an applied texture, and could just have the scope reticle beyond that texture (basically doubling up on reticles, but that's just textures, nothing that'll kill performance  :P).

jNiyYvL.png

But wouldn't the increased appeal and "customer satisfaction" of it be worth while in the end? Also an added benefit of it, major bragging-rights for being the first game to utilize the hybrid method! 

..and by adding it like the hybrid, it's no longer a "the game can't handle it" or "not all players would be able to run it" type of problem, as it then becomes a situation of those that can run it may choose to have it on (as it does not give any real advantage over the traditional way, for those that cannot run it, other than aesthetically difference.. which might actually prompt people to upgrade their PC's after a while).

Hell, having it accessible also means that if and/or when you guys decide to bring the game to consoles, the only necessary change to make in the code, would be a single word changed. (Even though that's a stretch, maybe with DX12 coming, the XBone might be able to run such a feature.)

In the end, it's all up to you guys, but it shows dedication to set aim for such a feature (pun intended).

sure it would be bragging rights, but we would be doing 2x the work of all other games on the marked on a way lower budget, just doesnt make sense.

Not when you have to make sure that every single weapon and scope combo is actually zeroed the same and both go through quality control to the same level of polish.

I just don't see it happening.

The Pip scopes really weren't that different Mainfold. The decision has been made. Deal with it.

Are you one of the developers?

Are you one of the developers?

Nope but I have used them in Squad. Very heavy performance wise and really didn't look great.

Nope but I have used them in Squad. Very heavy performance wise and really didn't look great.

If you are not one of the devs, then what authority do you have to say 

The decision has been made. Deal with it.

?

Personally performance is no issue for me, the game runs maxed out at really high frames for me and a bunch of other folks, so why should your experience with that style of scope design (when made optional) dictate what others can and cannot use? If they want to try it out, they can, and there's nothing you can do to stop them. Don't act like your word is law, when you are not one of the developers, and please don't border on toxicity and say stuff like "deal with it".

Regarding the blurry frontsight when zoomed in, I just tested it with my own Ar-15 and Acog. I also did pictures with my camera to see how "much" of the frontsight it picks up. If I look through the sight with my eyes, the front sight is barely noticeable. There is a small "line" of blur on the bottom, but it's really unobstrusive and non-obstructive. The camera on the other hand gives you a completely wrong impression, as said it picks up more than you actually see (like on the picture in this thread). So you really don't have to worry about how to implement this slight blur, because imho it's really not necessary.

If you are not one of the devs, then what authority do you have to say

?

Personally performance is no issue for me, the game runs maxed out at really high frames for me and a bunch of other folks, so why should your experience with that style of scope design (when made optional) dictate what others can and cannot use? If they want to try it out, they can, and there's nothing you can do to stop them. Don't act like your word is law, when you are not one of the developers, and please don't border on toxicity and say stuff like "deal with it".

What authority do you have to say they should be in game as a choice? You gave your opinion and I gave mine, based on the information we have already been given. This subject has been discussed in great length with the developers already telling us their plans for the scopes and Pip isn't happening, not in the near future anyway.

I'm tempted to close the thread soon, honestly noone has said anything that we havent heard before many times over, people will have to trust us to make the right decisions for the game as a whole, not just for one feature.

Sinking time in to features that have too many down sides is a huge resource drain in both manpower, time and money. We always look at the bigger picture from our side, one that is often lacking in many of the suggestions we see on the forums. In a perfect world we would love to do everything twice as good as the next game and twice as fast with half the manpower for free... but we live in the real world, not a fantasy one.

What authority do you have to say they should be in game as a choice? You gave your opinion and I gave mine, based on the information we have already been given. This subject has been discussed in great length with the developers already telling us their plans for the scopes and Pip isn't happening, not in the near future anyway.

Ah, right off the bat you're wrong. I never said it should be, I posed the question of "why should players not be allowed the option to have it, if they are capable of running it and desire to do so?". You didn't just state your opinion, you stated it as if it was fact. 

The suggestion I submitted would be a compromise between "can it be run?" and "what can be run?", allowing the one that's currently in the game (the traditional style) to be combined with the R2T, without any additional performance-loss (beyond what the players chooses to impose on themselves). It would allow for you to keep the one you clearly prefer, and give the option to those who desire R2T-scopes to enable it if they preferred such.

The way you're pushing it forward is "there's only one right way of doing things", which is never correct when it comes to game-development (unless it collides on a coding-level of development and is physically not possible to pull off).

Don't be so close-minded next time please, even if they said they might revisit it later, doesn't mean they can't do it earlier than that.. by just doing the hybrid concept (as it no longer becomes a problem of the game being completely unplayable because everyone would have been locked to that R2T style of scopes, but rather it being an option.. so if you struggle with performance, you don't need to turn it on).

All I ask of the devs, is that they at least consider if a hybrid of it (with user-choice to utilize the different versions) could be pulled off without too much hassle.. no matter how crude it may be.

I'm tempted to close the thread soon, honestly noone has said anything that we havent heard before many times over, people will have to trust us to make the right decisions for the game as a whole, not just for one feature.

Agreed. I think it can be closed and if there's any updates they can be added or posted on a new thread.

Tough decision, but I definitely support your choice. Besides, the full zoom with blur outside the scope is pretty cool in my opinion. Though I do hope you guys have a chance to revisit this later down the road. 

Right on the money DEVS. Put time and effort into the environment and not scopes. One of the things that makes this game different is the large detailed environment. Way more important than a scope

PIP for me it just looks and feel's more realistic, when I am looking down a scope in real life it feels more like PIP than any other sort of implementation, also is it possible to just blur out the right side of the screen and leave the left relatively untouched bar blur near the scope?

Many people have been calling the PIP scope ugly and they are pretty much right.

Why?! It's the most realistic one here. In fact it's the only realistic one.