SHO-SHIN

Hardware tweaks for better FPS

31 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Well at least you're getting some decent frames, but now that in reality we see that you're getting 50-75 fps (with some jumps to 100fps) on a server with only 50 players and medium/low shadows, you can understand peoples' skepticism at your original >100fps at full settings on 72 player servers claim. ^_^

Yes it would seem I jumped the gun, I was excited it happens...................50-75fps is pretty accurate based on the last couple of days gameplay.

I am sorting my system next few days to enable a decent overclocks in all areas (CPU, RAM, GPU), and will report back any differences found - I have some ideas about getting at least a reasonable test environment put together and then testing it thru.

Ok a couple more days of test play for me and I have to say, all things considered I am getting 50-100fps on full/nearly full 72 slot servers.

I have OC my display to 70Hz and often fix my FPS via MSI at 71 which works well but still get the drops when the action starts. Big differences in maps of course.

This is on a 4790K, 4.4Ghz, turbo off, hyperthreading off, XMP off and decent GTX970 not overclocked yet. (I am overclocking all elements of my rig right now so will see what effect that has).

The setting I use are everything Ultra except shadows which are low and all eye candy turned off. No file changes made yet, just the standard game.

I'll hold off further testing until I can establish my overall lower end FPS (once my PC is fully overclocked) and have my new display (I am hoping to play at 90fps fixed with the occasional drop, this is pushing it) then I'll report back.

28 minutes ago, smokyhook said:

Shoshin , please keep posting your results; we're interested...

Or just post a video proof.

2 hours ago, Shoshin said:

I have OC my display to 70Hz and often fix my FPS via MSI at 71 which works well but still get the drops when the action starts. Big differences in maps of course.

I wouldn't ever recommend to lock your FPS. Here's the explanation:

People use 240Hz not because "it's smoother" but also because when you play it at 500 [email protected] monitor you get about 50 ms less frame lags compared to 40 [email protected] monitor.

More FPS is better even when you have 1000FPS.

Pretty much any monitor can be overclocked up to 76 Hz and some even up to whole 90 Hz. To unlock the limit of pixelclock use NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher and to see actual pixelclock of your monitor use program called Moninfo. And try to actually understand what parameters do and not just set vertical refresh rate. Also, if your monitor has different jacks I'd recommend to try to overcklock your monitor on each of them separately. If your monitor has VGA, DVI and HDMI I'd recommend VGA and DVI. HDMI is always the worst and the slowest between all of them.

I'll hold off further testing until I can establish my overall lower end FPS (once my PC is fully overclocked) and have my new display (I am hoping to play at 90fps fixed with the occasional drop, this is pushing it) then I'll report back.

If you want to buy a monitor choose one with Display port and look for a monitor which can be overclocked up to 120-150(from 120 or even 90Hz) Hz. You can find some on BlurBusters and in google.

And don't lock your FPS. You're just hurting yourself.

1 hour ago, KulaGGin said:

I wouldn't ever recommend to lock your FPS. Here's the explanation:

People use 240Hz not because "it's smoother" but also because when you play it at 500 [email protected] monitor you get about 50 ms less frame lags compared to 40 [email protected] monitor.

More FPS is better even when you have 1000FPS.

Pretty much any monitor can be overclocked up to 76 Hz and some even up to whole 90 Hz. To unlock the limit of pixelclock use NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher and to see actual pixelclock of your monitor use program called Moninfo. And try to actually understand what parameters do and not just set vertical refresh rate. Also, if your monitor has different jacks I'd recommend to try to overcklock your monitor on each of them separately. If your monitor has VGA, DVI and HDMI I'd recommend VGA and DVI. HDMI is always the worst and the slowest between all of them.

If you want to buy a monitor choose one with Display port and look for a monitor which can be overclocked up to 120-150(from 120 or even 90Hz) Hz. You can find some on BlurBusters and in google.

And don't lock your FPS. You're just hurting yourself.

Thanks for the info man, it is appreciated and theres some new things for me to look into for sure.

The reason I lock my frames in Squad is that my eyes can't handle variations in framerate well, in Squad that would be around 50-100fps. I find 4 hour sessions most days works better if I lock the frames and get much less variance, around 50-71fps with it mostly being 71. It's a health thing I have identified over the years gaming.

Also I understand if you have big framerate potential (i.e in CS:Go my rig would pull several hundred FPS unlocked, I shall actually check late rout of interest) you can reduce frame lag, but Squad doesn't have that 'effect' as much, the high would be around 100 and much lower in action.

Re the display overclock, as you say its not really an overclock as I just use NVIDIA control panel to set up a custom refresh rate, my new display will almost certainly be 144Hz so I can step down to what I want. (currently looking for the best 27, 2k, 1mS, TN option).

I currently use HDMI and have read it doesn't matter, through to it really does matter........either way i'll go display port on the new display, I don't have display port on my current display.

1 minute ago, Shoshin said:

I currently use HDMI and have read it doesn't matter, through to it really does matter........either way i'll go display port on the new display, I don't have display port on my current display.

Marketing. HDMI is the only worst jack ever made.

Guys, I deactivate the  hyper threading on my i7 4790K last night to give it a try. It was the best decision ever. I played 3 maps with 72 people and it never went below 70 fps. Before I used to have 35 fps in certain moments. Now that variation is gone.

My specs are as follows:

- i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz.

- 12GB 1600MHz

- 2 x GTX 970 @ SLI

- SSD

In Game Settings:

- 1920 x 1080

- Resolution Scale 120%

- All on Epic. Bloom on, AO On, Motion Blur OFF

- Antialiasing to 4x (forced on Nvidia Control Panel)

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

1 hour ago, LookAss said:

Guys, I deactivate the  hyper threading on my i7 4790K last night to give it a try. It was the best decision ever. I played 3 maps with 72 people and it never went below 70 fps. Before I used to have 35 fps in certain moments. Now that variation is gone.

My specs are as follows:

- i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz.

- 12GB 1600MHz

- 2 x GTX 970 @ SLI

- SSD

In Game Settings:

- 1920 x 1080

- Resolution Scale 120%

- All on Epic. Bloom on, AO On, Motion Blur OFF

- Antialiasing to 4x (forced on Nvidia Control Panel)

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

I knew the hyperthreading off trick was good - now up your OC a bit with the reduced temps and enjoy!

Soon I shall be looking at limiting to 3 cores in Squad, I havn't seen it use all 4 yet - I am hoping I can gain some temp back again here but have no idea if it will work. My goal is to get my 4790K to 5Ghz across 3 or 4 cores.

Doubt Turning off HT give you this amount performance. 
20 games tested here and the difference is very minimal
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gaming-benchmarks-core-i7-3770-hyperthreading-test-20-games-tested.216466/

But in saying all this Squad is very CPU demanding so I'll will give this a try and see if I do gain anything.

Edited by shankly1985

Hey guys my PC: 

4790K - 4.4GHz

Gskill 1600Mhz - 16GB

Radeon R9 290

Win 10 64bit

All settings are EPIC in forest I have 27-55 FPS on dezert 55-80.

Edited by zelazny

On 5/31/2016 at 9:40 AM, Shoshin said:

My point? Over 100fps stable with all settings ultra, on full 72 slot servers on several maps in squad. (more testing required).

I don't think so. Not with that CPU for sure.

On 5/31/2016 at 9:40 AM, Shoshin said:

Hardware tweaks for better FPS

Remove CPU cover plate:

remove_cover_2.jpg

http://fatoo.co.uk/cpu/a-test-proves-tim-paste-of-ivy-bridge-processor-causes-high-temperature/

And change thermalpaste to liquid metal under the plate. Use custom coolers. Polish CPU cover plate to the state of the mirror:

fa2a6c38d8fc292a601ec647450d9ef1.jpg

Polish heatsink plate to the state of the mirror:

21_80_q.jpg

And overclock the shit outta your CPU.

Same applies to video card. Remove GPU cover, use liquid metal etc.

Overclock your monitor. Programs like moninfo, DDU, CRU and nvlddmkm-patcher-full will help you with that.

Overclock your USB to 1000 Hz.

Overclock system timer to 500µs

3 hours ago, KulaGGin said:
On 5/31/2016 at 7:40 AM, Shoshin said:

My point? Over 100fps stable with all settings ultra, on full 72 slot servers on several maps in squad. (more testing required).

I don't think so. Not with that CPU for sure.

correct KulaGGin,

I have since said its 50-100fps'ish for me, I lock at 61fps to match my monitor +1 and havn't looked at it for a while. Once I get the config sorted I will have another look, it's just so difficult to test with accuracy re different maps, servers and player numbers etc.

i75820K 4ghzOC / AMD295x2 GPU

Use the "Paragon" profile for Xfire.

[email protected] on 40"

Was getting shut downs on blue and green smoke or intense action.

I had tessellation set at 64x. I set my tessellation to "Use Application". Now stable and working my way up the tess scale as it does make a visual difference on tree limbs.

i got 4690k @ 4.2 and gtx 980

on 72 full server i get 140 fps in base, but when the fight gets intense, it then drops to 40-50 fps, and that's where i need fps the most. Most extreme fights with lots of smoke i get 30+ fps.  So it doesn't matter what is your highest fps but how much fps can you achieve in battle.

PS I play everything maxed on LOW, even tweaked to remove all shadows and everything, game looks like wolfenstein 1.

Edited by eZZzZ