As much as I like parachuting in games, does any modern army use parachutes as a way to deploy regular airborne forces in combat? I know they still train to do it, but outside of special forces, I can't think of it being used in the last 30 years. I don't want a milsim, but Halo jumps seem just as awfully out of place in Squad as they do in ARMA. 

I look forward to seeing it in WW2 mods, at the very least as an initial spawn wave. 

On 9/6/2017 at 9:01 AM, LugNut said:

As much as I like parachuting in games, does any modern army use parachutes as a way to deploy regular airborne forces in combat? I know they still train to do it, but outside of special forces, I can't think of it being used in the last 30 years. I don't want a milsim, but Halo jumps seem just as awfully out of place in Squad as they do in ARMA. 

I look forward to seeing it in WW2 mods, at the very least as an initial spawn wave. 

Post Scriptum got this?

14 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Post Scriptum got this?

Not yet, but it would be appropriate considering the setting. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at some point. 

15 hours ago, Sparcany said:

BMD-4M_98th_VDV.jpg

jF1TDK0.jpg

VDV faction anyone? They even have a theme song!

A Russian rapper song....nice...

7 hours ago, LugNut said:

Not yet, but it would be appropriate considering the setting. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at some point. 

Post Scriptum is about the British 7th Airborne division during Operation Market Garden. The 101st is also going to be in at launch, and paradrops are going to be there as well.

Posted (edited)

How about Air Assault instead of Paradrop? More realistic and there is already rope (technically tow cable preskinned from TOW and future Kornet) in game. Only have to add the animation of soldiers sliding down the line. This would provide simple mechanics of the temporary static spawn of hovering helicopter (until it have to RTB for both game balance and realistic reasons of being low on fuel). 

This will basically provide third variation of the forward spawn that is both balanced to a degree and not OP (big hovering target in the sky that can even be taken down with the volume of small arms fire and oh boy juicy for that .50 Cal) since it will be timed and will have cooldown, but with advantage of being incerted strategically almost anywhere on the map at high risk such as losing tickets as for other vehicles in game if being shot down.

Edited by Caliell